Tiredness following TKR

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have had both knees done in 6 months went back to work as a nurse in between am due to go back to work next week 9 weeks post op but so tired all the time and tearful could cry at nothing and often do.

Anybody else have this ??

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No matter how you put it, TKR is just horrible.  I just had my second knee done Feb 22.  Had the other one done Nov 9.    This one is way more painful than the first.  Every knee reacts differently.  The surgeon told me it was one of the 10 most damaged knees he had ever seen with many bone spurs up to an inch long and lots of loose bodies.  It is a tough decision to have the second knee done knowing how much pain I would be facing.  But to do one without doing the other would have left me with the same limitations.  In the 13 days since surgery I have had only 2 nights where I have slept more than an hour.  I increase the dosage of pain meds in the evening but still can not sleep.  There is a fine balance between not doing the PT and doing too much.  That is where I am at.  Yesterday had no energy and cut way back on the PT and walking.  But I did 3 months of hard "pre-hab" on this side knowing what I would loose and this knee, or leg, is stronger.  Stronger but more painful.  Hang in there.  I am keeping in my thoughts how good it will be to walk again pain free.  That thought keeps me from going crazy.  Good luck.

• Posted

Yes, I get very depressed because I have no energy. My surgery went great but just can't get my energy back. It has been 5 months since my surgery. I am 65 years old so I am sure age doesn't help. I am supposed to have my other knee done but scared to now because of how I am feeling after having this knee replaced.

• Posted

Yes, I get very depressed because I have no energy. I had my right total knee replacement 5 months ago and I am still have very low energy level. I was told it is common but how long will this last? It takes very ounce of energy I have to just get out of the bed in the mornings. I am supposed to have my left knee done soon but really scared to now because if the way I am feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.