tiredness on antripline

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all could someone help, ive been on 10mg amitriptyline for 6 days for

depression i feel its working but when does the tiredness stop i slept from 11pm to 7am and still feel tired does anyone have any advise plz

0 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You are correct Amitryptiline certainly takes up to a month before it has any effect  unfortunately most patients think it should be immediate. However for long term use it is far better than codeine and aspirin because it does not have any harmfull side effects. Another excellent drug Gabapentin is also one that has few side effects and if a patient cannot tolerate amitryptine it could be a good alternative.

Hope this helps both of you ladies!

• Posted

Once you try it, agree with Anthony...you must give it at least a month..the lethargy definitely gets better..well that's my personal experience anyway.:-) xxx.
  • Posted

Does it cause ringing in the ears? I'm on day 4 tired and this ringing is getting annoying!!
    • Posted

I know you have ready told me, but just thought I would see if it's common. Is it a permenent thing? I notice it later on in the day. Taken my tablet early tonight should I feel anything different?
    • Posted

I've had ringing in my ears since I was young ( loud music) I don't know if yours will go away I always wait till I'm really tired takes a few hours

You should feel sleepy early I tend to read for 20 minutes that's always helps me

• Posted

Just another thing! Please..I'm taking mine for numbness. It had gone and now it's back when I take the tablet
    • Posted

I take mine for the same thing numbness in legs and feet that's strange ? It should make the numbness go I can wake up during the night and the pain had gone completely try a going to sleep
    • Posted

Hi amy no ive not experienced this side effect, tireness as gone thank god x
  • Posted

Hi Julie

Are you taking it early enough? I've only been on it for 5 days (10mg) and I've brought mine right back to 7pm so I can actually get up in the morning.

I find that it doesn't make me drowsy for the rest of the evening, but once I'm asleep it's a very hard job waking up!

Apparently there is an 'adjustment' period where your body has to get used to the drug - I'm hoping the side effects will wear off quickly!

I'm on mine for chronic pain, rather than depression. I hope you've got the support you need, as apparently the tablets can make depression worse in the initial stages before it makes it better. Best wishes x

• Posted

Hiya ive been taking it arround 8pm, what i dont get is how long does it kick in for sleep? Its been a week now ive been on them, x
    • Posted

8pm sounds reasonable to me. I go to bed quite early as I have to get up early. Does it make you feel drowsy straight after you take it? I'm probably quite lucky that it doesn't seem to affect my evenings too much.
    • Posted

Hi yes after about a hour i still carry on with my evening so doesnt knock me out, i dont understand how it helps us sleep as its not like mirtzapine which knocks you out with in 20mins, i am sleeping but i believe thats me, worries me abit hun x
    • Posted

I'm also on day 5, been taking mine at around 10pm and it doesn't make me too drowsy I go to bed about 11pm. I'm going to give it another week, but I've had headaches everyday so far and this ringing in my ears! I thought they were supposed to stop headaches?
    • Posted

Hi amy i would of thought it wouldnt cause headaches as its also a pain killer, x
    • Posted

Give it more time, then speak with your gp hunni, xx
    • Posted

Taking it that late will do nothing you need to take it early for it too work 7-8 pm then wait for the effect to work it takes around 5 -6 weeks for full effect been on them since last May its a wonderful drug for pain and sleeping the trouble is people think it's a wonder drug its not
    • Posted

The GP was supposed to call me today but she hasn't so far. I've got an appointment next week so I will carry on for now and take it a bit earlier x
    • Posted

Hi all i dont usual drink, but tonight im having a drink lol lets see how i go on? Hope ut ok amy x
    • Posted

Good! Are u taking your amitriptyline tonight or giving it a miss?
    • Posted

Hi all wasn't to bad,not feeling hungover, slept like a log xx
    • Posted

You can't be on a diet ? lol I love chocolate I'm addicted to the stuff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.