TKR 13th Feb 2016

Posted , 12 users are following.

It's been a long road to recovery. I'm absolutely worn out from it all.

I'm 68 and before the op - although I was in intermittent pain and had difficulty walking-my general health was good but this has knocked my health for six. I'm alright in the mornings but I'm wiped out by mid afternoon lim trying hard with physio but it's like I've lost my zest for life - some days I wish I had never had it done.

I'm just praying for the day I'll be back to my normal self!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 65 and I hear you. Just coming up on 8 weeks and although I'm doing relatively well, I wonder if I'll ever be able to walk normally again without the stiffness and hip and back pain.

• Posted

Im 51 and 5wk post tkr op and i know exactly how i feel.we will get through this.xx
  • Posted

Hi Mary my surgery was March 18, 2016. I still have days with and why did I do this?? I'm done with pt. Swelling has subsided alot. I still have this pain on the inside of my knee. It has gotten a little better. I don't feel like it's going to give out as much. I get a little down some days because sometimes I still walk with a limp. But I look how far I have come and decide to keep plugging along. There was a time that getting my other knee done was totally out of the question. But now that I am going up and down stairs and am pain free in my op knee, plan on getting the other knee done next yr. Hang in there Mary. I still do my pt at home. And still elevate and ice when I have over done it. Try not to let it get you down. Listen to what your knee is telling you. ...

• Posted

Hi Mary, I don't know if we'll ever be back to "normal".  I have changed my thinking of what that is and I now focus on my "new normal".  I just had my almost 1 year check up with Dr. the other day and the discussion was a good one.  First, I'll say that I didn't have any of the many problems that I've read about on this forum.  I was lucky. Recovery has been textbook and Dr. was pleased with xrays and function of knee.

He did ask me if I felt my knee felt like my real knee.....no it doesn't.  It feels like an artificial knee, which it is.  Then he asked if I was glad I did it.....now...yes.  If he had asked me that at 3 months, the answer would have varied as to each day.  If he had asked 1 month out, it would have been a definite NO.  So time helps.  Here is what he said he has heard from his patients....these are things we all experience - well, mostly all of us....there are variations to everything.

1.  There will be numbness on the outside of knee - lower quardrant.  May eventually go away, but probably not.

2.  There will be some pain on the inside of knee as a result of cutting through the tendon.  May/may not go away

3.  Kneeling will not hurt the prosthetic but it does NOT feel good.

4.  The clicking you feel is the metal rubbing against the plastic.  May go away but probably not.

I added that even after a year, the stiffness is still there.  Varies each hour/day/activity, but it's there.  Yeah, he agreed that stiffness is part of the deal.  It's not your real knee.

So, I have discovered that my new normal is how I do things today. Or tomorrow. I'm careful walking downstairs, no more running, nothing stupid.  But I'm back to my extended walking and exercise.  I"m 66, so I'm happy to do what I am doing.  Things could be so much worse.  Will I get my other knee done?  Well, depends on how much pain I'm willing to put up with.  Right now, I'm ok with that.  So I'll wait.  

I hope you get your strength back....I'm sure you will, but try to understand that things are different now and try to work with it.  Funny, my Dr. said the best time to have knee replacement is in 60's and 70's because we have come to terms with what needs to be done.  People in their 50's still have the mindset of a 30/40 year old and the're just not there, mentally to accept this diagnosis.  Interesting concept!

Good luck....but I don't think you'll need it.  Give it time. (And I say all this, assuming that you don't have any major issues that need attention)

Mary Ann

• Posted

Hi Mary, I am in my mid 50's & I had no operation on my knee but with all that I been dealing with the issues of pain in the knee,leg & feet even having to use my good leg puts strain on that as well.. it all has worn me out very much like you so I have to baby every step using walker now I was using a cane but a cane is useless to me now my legs feel like they would give out on me @ any given time so had to resort to a walker. I know all is not easy for you as myself & many others going through all this being it has been very stressful & overwhelming to say the least, I been through this before it lasted me months but got over it then for few years walked ok then I guess I must had sprained the knee again causing much all the same issues all over again. I believe in time it will get better for you again like me, stay strong Mary & keep the faith, God bless you...

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Hang in there! I've heard from my PT and several people that it takes one year before you feel "normal." And you're on your way. Are you able to get outdoors to enjoy nature? That's been my saving grace. I have a transport chair, and have friends that take me out where I walk in three 10 minute segments alternating with riding in the chair. I'm only 6 weeks with bilateral TKR, and the roller coaster recovery is driving me crazy. One day feel fairly okay and next day is totally challenging. It's hard to plan anything given the exhaustion. Today I had plans to get a few minor things done, and had to give up my list, and lay around icing both knees instead. Frustrating. But somewhere down the road you'll be glad you did it and all this frustration will be faded history!

• Posted

May I ask how old u are,I'm 58 and I'm very depressed after my TKR,I'm 6 weeks and I won't even think of having my other knee done,doctor said it needs done one day but I can't see it.I cry all the time thinking I have to be back to work in 1 year or I'll lose my job .I'm a house keeper in a hospital and I'm on my feet all day.I pray I can get better with PT I have no one to pay my bills.And the thought that this surgery was the wrong thing to to kills me. before surgery I had to walk with two braces around my leg and lived on pain pills.Faith I have to keep the faith...

• Posted

I know how you feel im 6wk tkr but ive been off work since feb with it n im having same problems as you,im 51 and a single working parent of a 14 yr old nand bils to pay as well as a morgage .the money you get on sick isnt enough and cant get any help with money as im getting sick pay.im down £250 a mth which is my morgage so im realy struggling .xx

• Posted

I'm 66 years old, and had no choice but to get my double TKRs. I could barely walk one block before surgery. Now at least I know somewhere down the road ALL this will be behind me as a faded memory of discomfort and a roller coaster ride of feelings. Not sure if it's the pain meds, frustration of being so limited and easily exhausted, but I just let my self cry when I felt like it. Moving into 7 weeks post op, and I have no regrets and lots of optimism that this will only get better. I'm lucky in that I'm at 125 for flexion, and 0 extension. Do the PT home exercises religiously. And my saving grace and morale booster has been getting outside in nature with family and friends. My biggest challenge now is chronic back pain from my new knees! My gait is changed and somehow my lower back is severely affected. Just saw PT and got a new exercise to do for my back. It's a long road ahead with 6 months being the first milestone where I'm hoping things will get normalized. It's so different for everyone! But overall I have tremendous gratitude for my new knees, and hope that I will overcome the limitations of only walking one block before too long! Keep the faith!

• Posted

Wow congrats on two knees! I'm not sure I could have done that. I'm not quite 6 weeks post op and I'm doing well but it's not been an easy road. The first 4 weeks were a roller coaster of pain, emotions and regrets but I've turned a corner and I know we will see that light at the end of the tunnel! Keep up the good work and God bless!

• Posted

Hey Mary - I am 69 and also was in pain when I walked and decided to do a left tkr and for the first 4 weeks I basically wanted to shoot myself - who knew the pain? I sure didn't. Not to mention being depressed, anxious and foggy in the head ! Today is 5 weeks and 1 day since my surgery and when I woke up this morning for the first time my knee didn't ache! Talk about a breakthrough - not sure why but the overall pain is diminished! But the surgery also kicked my butt - I'm very tired in the afternoons also but I do think there is a light at the end of this tunnel. I am told this is all NORMAL and it will pass so hang in there - we are all in the same boat!

• Posted

I totally understand how you feel?? My TKR was in March, and I'm no where close to feeling good!! The swelling/ pain/ tiredness controls my life!!! I'm wishing I would not have done it!!!

• Posted

Mary, don't give up or give in. Tomorrow is a new day! I had two knees done 6 weeks apart --the last one 7 weeks ago. Keep doing your stretches and exercises. It will pay off and continue to get better. Of this I am sure.

• Posted

Hello

Don't lose heart!! Although I can completely understand.... It is such major surgery as the medics keep reminding me!

Ive had TKR and PKR replacement 10 weeks apart....the last surgery 3 weeks ago.

What I was advised is to be prepared for a bit of a roller coaster.... Which it has been.....

I did almost 'too well' in the first weeks... Not a boast I think I was massively lucky with the surgeons and physios.

Since I've been home it's seemed like one step forward two back.....sleep disruption ( it's 230 am and I'm still awake!) .. , nasty shin pain and really grim cramping.

I've had in depth discussion with my physio.... Theu were saying what i was experiencing was perfectly normal and to expect odd and sometimes difficult symptoms up to a year or perhaps 2 post surgery.

What's helping me so far is:

keeping a very basic daily log(about 5 mins to complete) so you can look at patterns... I've included what exercises I've done, my average pain score for that day and hoe my mood has been. Massively helpful as I can see how far I've come...

Take medications on time!

Do my physio exercises regardless how boring I'm finding them.

I'm remaining optimistic... And set backs are just that... Temporary blips!

• Posted

Hi Mary, im 72 and tkr was just 7 months ago.Like you wonder when it will all come together.Still very stff feels like a steel band around my knee.Still on crutches, and cannot walk properly up the stairs walk round the park everyday with my dog for an hour.Monday my knee gave away and down i went,nobody around  so just had to sit it out.I dont no why this has happened,but i am so scared now.
    • Posted

Hi Pam

I feel sorry for you. I am sure it is to do with age.

It takes longer to recover the older you are. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.