TKR 2 months ago, but still have leg pain at night!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Does anyone else who has had a TKR have problems with pain in the leg during the night?  My surgery was 8 was ago.  Rest of rehab 

Is good.  The dull pain and sometimes a sharp pain is not fun!

I

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had surgery on 23rd July and still have a dull ache and sometimes a sharp pain during the night. I still think its early days and I'm just hoping it will go eventually.We are still healing Betsy, this surgery is brutal.

• Posted

Hi Betsy

my surgery was 7 months ago and yes I can relate to the pain at night,  I always have to save some of my pain relief for going to bed.  At times the whole leg throbs!  Sorry I can't offer anything , maybe someone else has ideas for us both. Lynne

• Posted

Hi Betsy I had my 1st surgery end of March and my 2nd beginning of June and I still have pain though it has gotten better. It just takes time unfortunately. Are u taking anything to help with it? Gl Ithe will get better. As my surgeon would say u have only begun. To recover
  • Posted

I have read a lot of blogs on TKR, and the better question is who 'doesn't' have trouble at night. It seems most common... I am at week 9 and have the same problem. Getting less intense, though. At least I don't have to get up and walk around for relief now. It's just a lot of shifting all night long.

I prep for bed with a 'bedtime' tea and 200 to 300 mg of Magnesium (has a calming effect). Sometimes I have to take Tylenol PM which helps some, but usually only lasts about 3 hours. I have also been known to listen to relaxing sleep music that can be found on Youtube.... I have tried everything I can find to sleep without prescription meds. Getting 4 hours at a time is a triumph in my book.. ha

I am seeing small improvements, but I think we should plan to feel this in varying degrees for many months while the soft tissue heals. Hang in there. It 'will' get better... really.

• Posted

Hi Betsy

I posted on here last night im 5 weeks post op and stopped the medication then asi say last night a very sharp pain at the front of my knee the general advice here was to keep up the ice packs i have and although its stil there its not as severe i just hope i can get some sleep tonight.

• Posted

Betsy,

night time is when the demons appear. I need to take a heavy weight pain pill around 9:00 PM.  And then take another when the pill wears off and the pain wakes me around 2:30 AMThat is the only way I sleep. Pain during the day is manageable, but night time is a different animal.

Also, I have to sleep in a recliner. Can't handle lying in bed or the weight of the covers on my knee.

• Posted

Betsy it's too bad that we can't all have a party at 2 AM. That seems to be the time when we are all awake! At 5 weeks post op TKR, one thing that has helped me at night is to have a pillow between my legs. Sometimes I can use it sleeping on my side and other times I can put it under my entire leg. On a good night I can get 3 hrs of sleep at one time.

• Posted

A friend who had a knee replacement a few weeks before I had mine sent me a "pull on knee cushion" available on Amazon for around $17.00.   This way there is always a pad protecting the knee, regardless of how much you toss and turn. And we all toss and turn for weeks after these procedures. 

• Posted

Hi, I had one knee done 4 months ago, and the other was done 10 weeks ago. I still have pain in both knees at night. I only have sharp pain in the newest one. The surgeon said it was likely the tendons on either side of the knee taking longer to adjust to the new knee's alignment. In my case the pain is on both sides of the knee, midline where the tendons attach. Ask your doc. If you aren't scheduled for an appointment, make one. Put your mind at ease. I'm a nurse, but I didn't know why the pain was so intense, the doc prefers you come in, than you sit and worry over the unknown. Also give yourself time to heal.

• Posted

Tina,

well here we are at 1:15 est and I am awake waiting for my pain pill to start kicking in.  Only 3 weeks since surgery and the night time pain is basically a continual dull deep throbbing ache that will not let me sleep.

the pains were much worse the first few weeks after the surgery, but I think looks like night pains are a big problem for months.

• Posted

At 3 weeks it's expected that you'd have this type of throbbing. Be sure you are elevating and icing. The throbbing is typically due to swelling. As I stated I'm 10 weeks on one knee and 4 months on the ither...I still cannot sleep through the night without pain either.

• Posted

See my "sleeping" post link, above.  Hope some of it helps...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.