TKR 2 weeks ago. Struggling with physio

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi..this is my first time on here.  I had a TKR two weeks ago and saw my physio 6 days ago and surgeon 4 days ago and they both said I need to do more more more physio. I have to do 10-20 minutes every hour or so!  I am in so much pain when I do them. I am struggling to straighten my leg and my bend is about 80%. They couldn't understand why I was using crutches after a week (I should be using a stick!)  They have frightened me into thinking I won't get better if I don't exercise as they say. I am quite young to have had this op, is this why they are harsh with me?  Can anybody recommend some bending exercises that are not as painful. Thank you

2 likes, 163 replies

163 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well, here I am again. It is now 6 weeks post TKR and I would love to say I am nearly back to normal but I'm not!  My leg is still as bent as a dogs hind leg and won't straighten so I am walking with a very pronounced limp. There is no way I will be driving anytime soon ( if it continues for a few more weeks at least there won't be any arguments about whose going to drive over Christmas so that's a bonus at least!)  I see my physio on Monday so we'll see what words of wisdom he has, if any.  

I'm getting a little bit down now as this was not what I was expecting at all. I went out shopping for the first time last week and after about 20 mins I'd had enough, goodness knows when I'm going to do my christmas shopping.   Hope everybody else is doing ok?😃🎄🌻

• Posted

Yes Shanders it is really hard. 6 weeks is very early and you are quite normal with your feelings of exasperation. I am 9 weeks into my second TKR and at least 3 times a day I have a sown moment. The only thing that makes me feel better is knowing that in about 3 or 4 months I will be able to exist without thinking of my leg before I do anything at all. That is not to say it will be better then it won't, I still have a stiff knee after a bout of inactivity with my 8 month leg, but I hope for improvement with that as well. It is a very long road and even when the ain diminishes the discomfort is still there for absolutely ages. One and two year people say it s worth it though. 
    • Posted

Oh dear Gloria 

reading your comment about two years has really scared me .. 

I was hoping to be pain free in 6 months in the knee that is ..

..I have other problems which I deal with ... But what a daunting thought 2years seems.

• Posted

hi  shanders ... bless you, don't despair!  six weeks is a horrid time, i remember it so well.  you feel down, tearful and without any light at the end of the tunnel.  right?  please don't worry, i can't tell you exactly when it happens, but it suddenly does.  for me it was at 8.4 weeks.  i saw my physio on friday night and the penny dropped.  subconsciously.  the next morning, i decided to ditch the sticks and walk without even if it was uncomfortable for about a week.

you can't stretch, i can't bend.  you are still at an early stage, try and push yourself as much as possible with your exercises.  push, push and push.  it will so be worth it.  believe in it!

p.s. i am going back into hospital on dec 2 to have my knee bent.  all will be well.

• Posted

Hi Britta,  I have been walking round the house the last week without my sticks so I'm hoping my physio won't say I'm doing more harm than good when I see him tomorrow.  My bend isn't very good either, it was 80 when last measured three weeks ago so I'll find out tomorrow if it's improved but I'm not hopeful - there I am again miss negative!  Do you have to stay in when you have your knee bent or is it day surgery? Do you know what happens, does it mean your knee will bend a lot more after? Sorry you probably have no idea yet, I'll wait till you've had it done to find out.

good luck anyway....🌻🍀🌞🎅

• Posted

hi shanders -- looking back, i don't think you can do the knee any harm by moving / exercising. when i read the threads on here, i get the feeling the more you do, the better the healing and the better the bend. so don't worry, the physio won't tell you off, he should be proud of you! just keep going.

as for the bending experience, here is what i know: i go in at the crack of dawn on december 2 and get put under for 10-15 minutes. during this time the surgeon bends the knee past the existing blockage. when he does this, he isn't hurting the joint as there is no mechanical problem. what could/will hurt is all the muscles, ligaments, etc. being bent past their comfort zone. people tell me that can be sore to very painful, depending on the case. when i wake up, i will have a pain catheter in my leg for 48 hours and i will be put on the bendy machine for 48 hours non-stop so not much sleep happening. i get released from hospital on day 3 when i go home and basically get on the machine i have at home. and i continue with physio 3 times a week. the fear/tendency is that the while they measure a bend of say 120 degrees straight after the bending episode in hospital, if you don't keep bending it, it goes back to the original degree, i.e. 90 degrees for me. my surgeon tells me there are no guarantees but i have seen studies online which show very, very strong results. out of 30 patients only 1 didn't show a better bend.

my goal is to be able to walk down stairs normally. and i WILL do it. i WILL.

• Posted

Wow Britta that sounds like a painful experience. Are you in UK as I've not heard of this bendy machine at all. I hope I don't have to have this as Iwas expecting it to be a day op where you go home more or less straight away!  

I did try walking down one step the other day but as I put my good leg down the pain that ripped through my bad knee was awful, I had to throw myself into a sort of hop (sorry not a good description but basically my knee wouldn't bend as much as it needed to go down the step) I haven't tried since!  

I think I forget this is a big operation, I was watching something on TV and somebody had been in hospital for an op on their leg and they said three or four months later they were only beginning to walk about a bit more. 6 weeks is not a long time really.

I'll let your now we how my physio goes.

take care....x😃🌸🌷

• Posted

i know exactly what you mean. i only try on the very bottom step so i can quickly get out of the uncomfortable position. i know, the pain is sharp, isn't it? sometimes i fool myself into thinking it is getting better but then realize i am trying with shallow steps :-(

the bendy machines have been mothballed in the uk, or so i hear. i am in switzerland and they are THE thing to use. basically you put your leg onto the machine, set the degree/angle you want to start with and the machine does the bending. the idea is that you up the bend as you go, or that is what i do. i am renting one at the moment and lie on it while i watch the telly. on a good day i have managed 105 degrees but my physio tells me in reality that would be less. this is called passive movement whilst if you can say ride a bike, that is active movement.

i will post an update on the bending experience once done. and remember they may do it differently where you live. but you won't need it, you will get there!!

• Posted

Hi Britta

i think you're right about the bending machine being obsolete here in the Uk 

but I just ordered a pedal machine from Amazon .and not very expensive ....it was no good me ordering a bike because I know I couldn't use it ...but with this small contraption  you can sit on a chair to use it and it's just like a lazy way of peddling a bike ...I hope.... I will let you all know what it's like when it arrives and I've used it 

jean 

• Posted

hi jean ... just checked them out on amazon and decided to wait and see what your feedback was. looking at them, not sure you would get enough bend for it to do any good? but then again, i guess it depends on how high up you sit. but good for you, give it a try and let the rest of us know how you do. i may find one under the christmas tree as present to myself!
    • Posted

I'll post on here when I've used it ...they had one at physio and although I couldn't do a full revolution ...working it forwards and backwards  will surely lead to being able to use it to it's full purpose  

fingers crossed 

Jean 

• Posted

I used one at physio and it felt ok... But I was discharged before I could  know the full benefit 

i can always put it on ebay if it doesn't do the job lol

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Britta, I was wondering how you were going with your bend as we seem to be having the same recovery pattern.

I will be thinking of you on Dec 2, please pop on here when you feel able and let us know how you are.

After my bad experience with my physio, my bend still seems to be 90, I see him again on Friday, I'm not going to let him manipulate it again. I'm thinking, if I have to go through pain for the bend I want, then I will ask my surgeon to do the same to my knee when I see him on Dec 15. I know there is a CPM machine at my hospital because they threatened me with it!

So, good luck my TKR friend, I will be thinking of you.

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Britta. I've been using one since week 1 and it is very good.

• Posted

Hi Britta, well I've just come back from the physios and he says I am doing really well. My bend has only gone up 3% in three weeks so that's not brilliant but he says I need to relax more especially when I'm doing my stretching exercises. He couldn't believe how tense I was.  Once again he said I wasn't going to have problems walking but I need to get my leg straight. I am not allowed to walk far as this only makes my hamstrings tighten up and my knee swell. I asked him to tell my sister this so she can let my mum know ( she is always saying I need to be walking more)  This dude sent help he in my quest for Christmas shopping!.

i also asked him about one of these cycle things that Jean has ordered and he said it wouldn't be any good for me as the pedals don't go round enough (the circumference isn't big enough if you see what I mean). He said a proper exercise bike is what you need but I need my bend to be a lot better before I can go on one.  It won't do any harm though. 

I also asked about hydrotherapy and this wouldn't be of much benefit to me either so I won't waste my money. 

I will just continue with the stretching exercise, try to relax and get more shopping done on the Internet!!  🚴😊

• Posted

Hi Shanders I just read your post to Britta ..I hope I haven't wasted my money on the pedal machine 

maybe I can give it to someone for Xmas ...lol

the trouble is I can't use the exercise bike as I can't sit on it  as. I have a bad back problem

oh well

here's hoping 

Jean biggrin

• Posted

Hi Shanders you must be feeling soo frustrated with things 3 per. Cent in three weeks is awful slow going for you

.and of course you are tense who wouldn't be after TKP its a wonder that. Any of us are even sane. How many weeks are you now? It takes weeks before your body starts to relax your mind too. So just take things a little easier until you feel more able to go further. The Internet is great for shopping so carry on and make good use of it. Driving this time of year can be terrifying so maybe only go when you know it will be quietest. I am 15 weeks and. Have just about started to find an interest in myself and life. I have walked a mile this morning and been shopping, so it does get better eventually my freind wish you well from tucks

• Posted

Hi Jean,  sorry if I've made you feel you've wasted your money.  He just said it wouldn't do much for me as it wouldn't make my knee bend enough with them been small (the bike not my knee).  See how you go, it might be just what you need.  We'll try anything to help won't we? Good luck.. 😊💐🌷
    • Posted

Yes Tucks, I am a bit frustrated. 3% is neither here nor there, infact I don't know he could measure such a small change, that's probably just a bit of swelling that has gone down!..I am 6 weeks now. I can walk round the house without sticks so that must be good. I just wanted to be able to drive and go shopping on my own.  I haven't even tried to get it in my car but I struggle enough getting into a 4x4 so I don't think I will cope getting in a mini. It's so frustrating.  I am just glad I was quite organised before I went in and bought a lot of presents, it is just the little extras that you see in the shops as you wander round that I am missing, and the food stuff. I give hubbie a list each week and he is very good but he doesn't often think to buy extras or things that are on special offer. 

I am glad you are feeling a bit mire like your old self and getting out and about. A mile walk is good going, well done you!

I will try being patient and keep up the exercises and hopefully in a week or two my bend will be 100% at least!  keep up the goods work Tucks...😃🎄🌼

• Posted

Hi again

i can try it and as I say if it's no good I can give it someone for Xmas 

what's your address ....lol biggrin

• Posted

At least you can do it whilst you're watching telly and you won't get cold and wet!  And, you use up calories so that has to be good! 🚴🚴🚴
    • Posted

I daren't use up too many calories as I've lost a lot of weight since this op through lack of appetite 

but I thought if it was no good for my knee I can put it on the table and use it to get rid of the fat on my now flabby arms ....lol

( I'm so good at improvisation ) .....lolbiggrin

• Posted

If you've lost so much weight I thnk it would be rude of me not to take it off your hands then as I need to lose it.  My address is...........

im sure it will work just as well on your bingo wings, just don't hit yourself in the face with a pedal or you could be getting a new nose for Christmas! 

• Posted

Lol Shanders ...maybe my face needs rearranging ....or at least something to fill in the wrinkles

after all as my granddaughter pointed out.... my knee is younger than my youngest great grandson 

i know ....it took me some time to work that out 

• Posted

Can't you tell I'm having a good day ...I hope this is the turning point for me 
    • Posted

It will be Jean, things are going to be alright for us both!   Let's hope your great grandson isn't as much trouble and pain as a new knee!   This op is worse than child birth!... Keep positive my internet friend....🍫🍫🍫 these are little bars of chocolate to keep you going...😃💐
    • Posted

Too right the knee op is worse than childbirth ....and I'll enjoy the chocolate

thank you x

• Posted

I agree this op is worse than childbirth!! Shanders you are in very early days at 6 weeks. And the phydio must have made you feel better saying you are doing enough. Internet shopping is certainly the way to go. And I understand the frustration at big being able to go shopping yourself. I feel the same.
    • Posted

I did quite a bit of shopping before the op but having a five year old it's not as easy as I like to buy lots of little extras when I'm out and about, plus there are family cards to buy, presents for the teachers etc etc etc and men don't think the same or shop the same as us women! 

The first time I saw my physio after 1 week post TKR I didn't like him as he was very hard on me because I was using crutches and my bend wasn't as good as he thought it should be, but the last couple of times he has been very pleased with me, especially my walking, so I like him now!..🐱

• Posted

Hi Jean......just wondered how you were getting on with the mini cycle?  Is it having any effect on your knee at all or are you working on your bingo wings?...🚴😎🎅🎄
    • Posted

Hi Shanders

i love my little machine I use it twice a day ...sometimes more for 10 mins each time

i'm so glad I bought it it's ideal if I don't need to go out I can sit and peddle my heart out while watching telly.

and I think it's working on my arms biggrin

i'll call it my Xmas present to myself

Jean 

• Posted

Good girl.  I found it so helpful and convenient.

Busy week.  Saw my physio for the last session yesterday before knee number two next March.  She has been a fantastic support over the months.

Birthday tomorrow and then Christmas!

May I wish you and all our forum friends a wonderful Christmas and a happy and, more importantly, HEALTHY and pain-free New Year.

Kind regards.

Lynn 24 weeks post op.

• Posted

I'm glad you are finding it useful. After Christmas I will try find mine, it's under the stairs somewhere. I go to the physios on Monday so I will see if my leg has straightened and my bend improved ( not hopeful about the bend). I feel a lot better about things and I don't use my sticks round the house at all so that's good. I'm nearly sorted for xmas as well so that's a weight off my mind!  Lewis is so excited he's driving me mad but that's what it's all about I suppose.  Hope you continue to improve. (You wouldn't want to be outside cycling in this weather!) have a very happy christmas...xx🎅🎄
    • Posted

Hi again

i only went to physio a few times  but I've worked hard on the bend and that's now quite good ...but getting it straight is a nightmare I do every exercise in the book but don't seem to be getting anywhere so I'm still limping and using a stick outside.

i bet Lewis  can't wait for Xmas day ....that's what xmas is all about ...

children.... I loved seeing my lots faces on xmas morning even if they did wake up at the crack of dawn.

i had 5 close together then an afterthought 8 years later (Justin) Justin time to join before we closed the shop lol

so xmas  was brilliant for a long time in our household.

you enjoy every moment because then you can look back and think how wonderful it was

and the best comment I got was from my daughter who told her friend ...she had a wonderful childhood.

Have a great xmas and look after your present (The Knee) 

jean x

• Posted

Good luck with the Op in March 

And  have a wonderful Christmas 

Jean 

• Posted

Wow Jean, I bet your house was never quiet!  Lewis is our one and only, we went through so much to have him so he is extra special . 

I'm hoping the Physio doesn't want to see me anymore but as my bend was only 83 last time unless it's a lot better I don't think he will (plus he is getting paid £50 for half an hour) .  I tried getting into my car this week and reversed down the drive, I did ok but wouldn't like to drive far with my knee in that position, also if I wasn't able to open the door fully I would struggle getting in and out.  My friend called this week and he has had both knees done and he had to buy a 4x4 type car as he couldn't cope with a smaller one. I've got a mini but I dont want to change it as i only got it in May and I love it to bits so I will just have to struggle and maybe park as far away from the shop door as I can! 

Keep up with the cycling (does it tell you how far you have cycled?)

merry christmas mas to you and your family. Hope you see them all.

..x...x..🎅🎅🎅🎅🎄🎄🎄🎄🐶🎁🎁🎁🎁

• Posted

No more physio Lynn - well done.

happy birthday for tomorrow, merry Christmas and good luck for knee number two- you brave lady, at least you've had quite a gap between the two.  I seem to have heard of so many people recently who have had the second op with 3 or 4 weeks of the first. I cant thnk of anything worse!

..x...🎄🎅🎁

• Posted

Hi

and yes my house was never quiet but I loved every minute of it 4 sons and 2 daughters ...

last Thursday my no 12 great grandchild was born "Isla Rose" weighing just 5 lbs oh my god It makes me feel old.

Lewis will be and extra special gift to you and bring you so much joy.

and my little pedal machine tells me how many revolutions I have done and how many calories I've supposedly burned

i try to do at least a 100 revs each time...

not bad for an oldie I guess ...lol

• Posted

That's a lovely name. Bet it costs you a fortune at Christmas and birthdays! 

I like the the sound of knowing how many calories have been worked off - means you can eat extra!

keep up the good work..

• Posted

Christmas is a small gift ...a bit extra on birthdays

• Posted

Happy Birthday.....you are having a busy 30 days. Best wishes for the Christmas season. A wonderful time if the year to be alive.........even with a few extra aches and pains. My wife, even with the Parkinson's continuing to slow her just had to try her hand at shopping. I took her the other day and even though she is on a walker, I stayed close to make sure someone didn't bump her and cause her to fall. She lasted less than an hour but it seemed to be all she needed to make her feel like it was really Christmas. I on the other hand was completely worn out.
    • Posted

Hi Jean

Not been on here for a while. How are you doing with your peddle Machine?

I am now 12 weeks post op. My physio signed me off at the beginning of December even though my leg was still bent and my bend was only 90*. He told me to keeps doing the execises to try straighten it but again said I had not got to do a lot of walking as this tightens the hamstrings and stops the leg straightening. I was supposed to see my consultant in November but they put the appointment back a week and then Bupa said they wouldn't cover the consultation but if I waited till the new year they would starts covering them again.  As the physio seemed pleased with me I decided there was a no rush to see the doc. How wrong could I be.  I saw him last Wednesday and he was not pleased.  He is a huge chap with a very quiet voice, and he just said "this is not good enough, it won't do. I want you to have more urgent physio and see me in a month and if no improvement with your bend I will have to take you to theatre".  I felt like a naughty school girl In front of the headmaster! He was not happy with me missing my appointment and said I should've gone back weeks ago if it wasn't right. The physio (one of the hospitals staff) never said anything much about my bend except to keep trying to bend it. Why didn't he think it was a problem?  They are the experts so surely they should be "singing off the same hymn sheet" I can't be the first TKR patient the physio had seen. So told consultant about physio saying a peddle machine would not be any use for me and he said "it would've been useful 3 or 4 weeks ago!!  I was so upset. I don't want my leg to stay as it is as apart from it not being painful it is no better than it was before. I still struggle walking when I get out of bed or out of a chair. I can't walk for more than half an hour without it aching. This is not what I  expected  at all....sorry it's such a long rambling post!

Hope you are doing well and had a lovely christmas and new year. 

Shron...x😁😾

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.