TKR 2 weeks ago. Struggling with physio

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi..this is my first time on here.  I had a TKR two weeks ago and saw my physio 6 days ago and surgeon 4 days ago and they both said I need to do more more more physio. I have to do 10-20 minutes every hour or so!  I am in so much pain when I do them. I am struggling to straighten my leg and my bend is about 80%. They couldn't understand why I was using crutches after a week (I should be using a stick!)  They have frightened me into thinking I won't get better if I don't exercise as they say. I am quite young to have had this op, is this why they are harsh with me?  Can anybody recommend some bending exercises that are not as painful. Thank you

2 likes, 163 replies

163 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes Shanders it is extremely painful and unsettling. I don't know how you can be a Mum to a 5 yr old with this op. you need strong meds for many a week yet. With my first knee I couldn't understand how I was supposed to bend eith at first because of the pain and then my GP prescribed Lyrica for nerve trauma, not needing to be damage just trauma. It made all the difference. We have had many a discussion about Lyrica and the need for good pain meds. But yes it is a long painful road and quite something to put up with. Insist that the docs sort out your pain. Good luck.
    • Posted

hi Gloria,  yes it's a challenge especially now he is on holiday!  I have a fabulous partner and family and friends support so that really helps.  Next time I go to the Drs I will ask about Lyrica. I am on Tramadol but have been for nearly five years because of my back so maybe my body is a bit resistant to them now! Thank you for replying...
  • Posted

Oh boy, I can't believe they're giving you such a hard time, it's such early days for you. Stay on your crutches till you feel more confident, it's about you and everyone is different. One exercise I found useful to help with the bend was to sit on a table and gently swing my leg back and forth, the momentum helps get you that little bit further. I am on the young side too, 55, and recovery has been tough, mentally and physically but you'll get there in your own time, it's really not helpful for them to be putting you under that extra pressure. We all know the importance of exercise on here but do the best you can as often as you can, all the best

Deb

• Posted

hi Deb, I will definitely give that a go..everybody has been so kind and helpful on here. I think I put pressure on myself as surely I should improve quicker than an 80 year old - but I have realised that is not necessarily the case so I need to accept my limitations and not get stressed out.  Good luck to you....👍
    • Posted

Hi sanders.  I'm due to have TKR very soon and I was told at induction classes that I would walk with a frame for a couple of days and then would use 2 crutches for as long as necessary. The reason being that using just 1 crutch would make you walk lopsided.
    • Posted

And it does Christine. I tried using one in the house for a couple of days and realised I would very soon go back to having a limp. Use one stick now but that is because I am walking straight. Or 'like a policeman' as my surgeon said.
  • Posted

poor you and what bs , rest , ice and elevation , i know all this is painful im just 12 weeks on knee two , you need to exercise i know and i know its very hard , think you need a little support to help you , this op is huge mentaly and physical , i can remember at two weeks being so down on my self thinking i would never be normal again , you could ask for stronger pain reliefe so hard doing it with out , but  you will get better and as every day goes you find change in what you can do , some times we try too hard and dont get where we need to be ,as far as the crutches go i was told to use them untill i felt comfey with my self , after a week or so ,you will just use one then none because you cant be bothered with them , its easier to wash up or carry your drink with none and you will do it with out thinking , relax a little more and dont take it to heart what your surgeon says he may be brillant at his job , buy unless you have had this op ni ine can say any thing its bloody hard work and will be better in the end , keep your chin up  .
    • Posted

Thanks Debbie, I have been using one stick in the house over the weekend but I realise I am limping so will use two.  The three or four friends of my mum who have had this done have never mentioned anything like this to her so I was beginning to think it was just me who was a wimp or useless but I'm wondering if maybe they kept most of it to themselves, or maybe my mum chooses to hear what she wants to hear! (She has a very high pain threshold unlike me and would probably not admit that she was struggling) Although I can't bend or straighten my leg I can lift it on to the bed which I couldn't do a week ago so it musty e improving a bit!  I think I exaggerated in an earlier message when I said I had 80% movement I think it was in the70's.  Hope you continue to make a successful recovery with knee two!  🌞
    • Posted

isnt it funny how friends of mothers etc dont say how bad it is , my neighboure is 68 ,im 53 ,her mother had both her knees done who was in her 80 s at the time , she never complained at all ,and thers me complaining , ive now decided that her mother got just what she needed from the op ,but didnt need as much as a younger person , were not wimps just need more out of this op , i need to get back to work and be able to play with my grandson and grandaughter in the garden and take them for walks ,not a great thng to ask at 53 , well i dont think so , and you too will will get back to normal it just takes time and patience , some thing i dont have much of , but you will get there ,x
    • Posted

Debbie you are so right.  An older person isn't expecting to be able to kneel and run about but we are. I want to play football with my son and get on the floor to play with his cars so I do need more movement than my mums friends who I suppose are quite happy if they can walk without too much pain. Patience isn't my strong point either but I'm having to learn that as well. 

By christmas we will be looking back and wondering what we were panicking  about (hopefully). At least I am saving money as I can't get to the shops, although my internet shopping has gone up a bit!!  Take care...😃

• Posted

Don't be discouraged and disappointed if its not easily accomlished. I know very few that have risen to a level of pain management that allows the knee to touch let alone bear weight. Keep trying but take it easy.
    • Posted

very true and by the way love the name , this op is tough and we all need the help and suport  of  each other smile
  • Posted

Poor you - I have read what others have replied and they are absolutely right!

I think your surgeon and your physio(terrorist) are disgraceful! You need the support of a physio not one that is going to frighten you.

My surgeon visited me a few hours after the operation and said "it would be six weeks of living hell" - it sounded brutal at the time but he was absolutely right!!

I was scared by the physio whilst in hospital by this "window of opportunity" but we can only do what we can do so just keep going - recovery is a very tiring, frustrating and at times upsetting full time job! They more or less forced my knee to 90ish but once home I didn't get back there until about two weeks ago!

I am 49 and now 8 weeks + 5, when I go out I use two crutches still as I feel safe, my bend is about 100 (when sitting) but when standing I still can't get it straight (it feels like something has shrunk inside); I do lots of stretching exercises as well as bending and strengthening (the ones on the sheets that I am sure we were all given).

My knee still feels very solid and stiff - we get all sorts of weird feelings going on but between everyone on this brilliant forum we usually find someone that has felt the same.

My physio has now enrolled me in a weekly exercise class - second one on Tuesday - good to actually meet others in the flesh that have had TKRs.

I go between two, one or no crutches at home and this depends on how I feel each time I get up from a sitting or lying position.

I have a second review on 17th November as like Britta I (May)need manipulation if my knee isn't more easy to move than it was when I went for my review at six weeks.

Sanders, all the best, keep going (take all the drugs you need to get through it!) and keep us posted.

All the best, Tracey

• Posted

Tracey,

Aren't the feelings in the knee so weird!

Lynn 17.5 weeks

• Posted

Oh dear I'm just over 7 weeks post op and I was thinking how weird some of the sensations in the knee are

i didn't realise they lasted as long as over 17 weeks. 

I hope oped the knee begins to feel lighter eventually as it's so heavy 

Jean 

• Posted

My physio says it's the nerves regrowing.  If it can take a year or so for the knee to feel like it belongs to you, I'm early days yet!

If it's any consolation, the leg doesn't feel heavy anymore.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Oh gosh yes yes yes!! Does your knee feel solid or like the replacement is too big for your skin? My knee is still quite swollen and very warm at times (but not worryingly so) and very shiny!

You may remember a couple of weeks ago I felt like my knee was being crushed - it lasted for a week - don't think I could truly have taken it for much longer - was having all sorts of thoughts! At my review I was told that particular feeling is from the nerves sorting themselves out.

My cousin who is just 60 and has now had both knees done - first one Feb 2013 and then November 2013 said that although he is now not in pain, he fights the stiffness each day but some days are worse than others specially n king or sitting for long. He cycles 13 miles most days!

I think two years post ok is a more realistic time frame for feeling the full benefit of our ops and with perhaps the odd bad day or so and hopefully no new weird stuff going on!

Whilst writing I can't remember - do you work Lynn and if so when did you go back?

Tracey 8.5 weeks

• Posted

Hi Jean

Promise It does get lighter / easier to move around however having said that mine is still very solid.

T :-)

• Posted

That's good that it gets to feel lighter.

sometimes  I get like electric shocks running up my leg...not painful just weird.

the worst thing at the moment is a pain in my groin which wakes me up at night.

but I guess it's all part and parcel of the healing process 

Jean 

• Posted

Feels solid on the outside of my knee.  Can't say the implant feels particularly big, but my knee is very shiny.  I have a little 'mowhawk' of hair because there is an area I just can't bear to shave. Most attractive!!

I can completely imagine the stiffness lasting. Most mornings I feel the knee is back to square one until I've done my exercises.

I've always been a stay at home mum so, no, I haven't gone back to work. Those that do after three or four weeks have my greatest admiration.  I have no idea how they manage.

• Posted

I can't imagine it either Lynn. I deforested winkyersterday, for the first time post op, but I use cream. I still can't fee lthe cream on the outside of my knee. I don't even feel the E45 there and that's quite cold!
    • Posted

How many weeks post op are you Lynn ??as my knee is very shiny too and still bruised and swollen 

jean 

• Posted

I guess it feels big it's tight?

Your Mohawk made me smile! I still can't bear to shave my leg at all-you can imagine what it looks like :-0

Yes I guess the stiffness is something we will have to live with. I have to spend at least 10 minutes exercising before I get up in the morning. I live in a flat and have missed the postman a few times as I can't move quick enough - yet!

My Mum has terrible arthritis and takes rosehip tablets which helps her with stiffness and soon as I am off the drugs I shall start to take them - worth a try.

No nor me; Am due to go back a week tomorrow just for three half days at first - not really looking forward to it as don't feel quite ready but . . . .

Can't drive yet so off to get automatic this k to make life easier.

• Posted

I used to get funny little pin prick type electric shocks over my knee but not recently.

Sometimes when I bend my knee it feels like Velcro being undone! Have you had that sensation at all?

The rolling rubber band feeling seems to be very common.

Perhaps your groin pain is from exercising? May be a hot water bottle will help - I use the bottle quite a lot especially the evenings.

• Posted

Thanks tracey

i think it's something the physio did last week when he manipulated my leg 

I have a heat pad and I kept it on last night on a low setting ...it eased it a bit.

• Posted

Yep, Velcro is a good description. Can literally feel it stretching out.  Such a strong sensation, I'm surprised you can't hear it!
    • Posted

17.5 weeks. Didn't have too much bruising or swelling in comparison to some legs I saw.
    • Posted

Hi Tracey, you hit the nail on the head "window of opportunity" those are the exact words they used to me. This is what frightened me most, if I didn't get my knee moving in the next couple of weeks that was it, I would never get the movement back. I am sure there are hundreds of people who have no trouble doing the exercises and are so determined to be up and about as quick as possible they don't bother about the pain but then there are people like me who just can't do that.  I know I have so many reasons to get better ASAP, my little boy the main one but like other people have said its like trying to move a false leg.  The thought of not driving for six weeks was the thing I was dreading the most but it's the last thing I am thinking about now.  

Hope your review goes well....💐

• Posted

My leg was bruised from my bum to underneath my foot

so a bit of bruising around the knee is nothing compared to what it was 

• Posted

I think these physios try to ensure that we all know how important the exercises are but at the end of the day we can only all do what we can do and I am sure we all know how important they are - would like to see how they would manage!

You will get your movement back but for all of us I guess we won't really know how much we will get back for some months.

Little but often with the exercise (I spend most of the day doing something or other) and massaging the scar or around the scar whatever you can tolerate helps.

• Posted

I've got a patch of hair just like you, Lynn 😊 Also can identify with the weird sensations. I've felt a new stabbing pain at the inside of my knee today and pains under the kneecap. When the surgeon told me it would take 6 months to a year or even 2 before I would fully feel the benefit of my new knee I didn't really understand what he meant. I still naively expect to suddenly feel normal one day but then am faced with the stiffness, pains  etc. it's so good to know all this is "normal".  Thanks all for sharing your "weird sensations". Jen 
    • Posted

I have pain on the inside of my knee and a stabbing at the back. When I try to force my knee to bend more it feels as if the skin will tear open again. My scar is sore to touch.

but it's my other leg that bothers me, there's nothing wrong with it, but since the op I get electric shocks running through it. Sometimes they are strong!

is everyone else emotional? I cried all day Saturday. 

• Posted

i thought i'd burst my scar open yesterday but obviously I hadn't. I know what you mean about the shocks my leg keeps twitching, especially in bed. Sometimes when I sit I feel as if I have got sciatica going down my buttock. 

Yes emotions are running high especially when I feel I am not making any progress at all. That's why this forum is such a god send, you don't have to feel alone and there is always someone who can offer a word of support and make you realise that you are doing well despite what you think. 

• Posted

Hi,

Believe me, emotions run very high for quite a while after this op. Tears come from nowhere.  It is very normal.  TKR takes its toll both physically and emotionally.

Lynn 18 weeks post op

• Posted

Hi Tracey I have been using my hot water bottle a lot . Seems to be helping me especially at night . Take care tucks
    • Posted

Here/ here emotions just go potty. Just got to put up with it I suppose at 10 1/2 weeks just about sick and tired of crying. Still tomorrows another day take care xx
    • Posted

Please don't cry.  When I was 10 weeks I was a blubbering wreck with my physio one day.  Felt that I wasn't the Mum, Grandmother and Wife I used to be and couldn't see any way out of it.  Yet again, she assured me my feelings were normal and that I wasn't going round the bend.

By 12 weeks I'd turned the corner. Was feeling more positive and confidant. Still get the odd wobble, especially when thinking of our up-coming trip to the US, but I am determined to get my old life back.

Who'd have thought this op would have such an effect?  Nobody warned me.  Dreading knee number two, but I hope and pray I shall, at least, be more prepared.

Lynn 18 weeks

• Posted

Yep, thought I'd bounce back after a few weeks. What a shock when it takes months.  Have never experienced anything like it.  And still can't really get to grips with what causes the tears, lack of confidence, anxiousness over the most stupid things - I could go on and on.

The one thing that has kept me sane, on occasion, is this forum which lets us know that, although the emotions are HELL at times, they are NORMAL.

Lynn 18 weeks

• Posted

I agree with Lynn. Please don't cry Tucks you are doing marvellous. If I am lucky enough to reach your age I hope I can still use the Internet like you do. My mum is younger than you but has no idea how to use it, she's not very good with the TV remote either!  You are my new inspiration. Do you have family to help you? I would hate to think that you have gone through all this on your own.  I have been using my hot water bottle as well, mainly for my back but also on my knee when it aches. You keep smiling you brave wonderful lady and take care of yourself.    X.  ⭐️😃💐🌺😻
    • Posted

Hi Tucks

i thought I was just feeling sorry for myself when I burst into teats for no reason

the tears come at the most unexpected times

i also thought I wasn't doing as well S some others on here but at just over 7 weeks I expected to be further forward....I now realise reading Ll the post everyone heals  differently  no matter what age.I'm (76)

sigh....oh to be driving again

Jean 

• Posted

Shanders what. Lovely words. You are so kind. Yes I have got family Shanders, no daughter but a wonderful daughters law and granddaughter both have been really good on the practical side.i have been widowed for 19years and have managed to fill my life well at 68 I took myself to the local college and became a mature student. I end up at77with both an BA and 

MA and was still working full time. I know I am strong mentally and very posotive. I was not expecting the op to be so traumatic mentally, it has really knocked the stuffing out of me. Still I have met some truly lovely supportive people though this site and I shall be eternally gratefully. Take care dear freind. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, trouble is its a long,long tunnel. I wish you well in your recovery. Love from tucks

• Posted

Hi jean you will soon be driving again, I drove at six weeks just a couple of miles a day it is a slow, slow recovery that's the problem..I think we all desperately want to be back to normal, but it doesn't happen like that does. It ? Onwards and upwards jean tomorrow may be a better day love from tucks
    • Posted

Hi lovely you have turned the corner, have a lovely break don't even think about No 2. Love from tucks
    • Posted

Thank you Tucks

fingers crossed when I see surgeon on We'd he will give me the ok to drive

i do have an automatic car ..but it's my right knee I've had done which makes it a bit difficult

• Posted

Good on you for getting those qualifications, Tucks. You are a very determined lady and an inspiration to us all on here. Xxxxx
    • Posted

wow tucks your amazing , you must have a great life , time for me to pick myself up i think ., well done you should be really proud smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.