TKR 2 weeks ago. Struggling with physio

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi..this is my first time on here.  I had a TKR two weeks ago and saw my physio 6 days ago and surgeon 4 days ago and they both said I need to do more more more physio. I have to do 10-20 minutes every hour or so!  I am in so much pain when I do them. I am struggling to straighten my leg and my bend is about 80%. They couldn't understand why I was using crutches after a week (I should be using a stick!)  They have frightened me into thinking I won't get better if I don't exercise as they say. I am quite young to have had this op, is this why they are harsh with me?  Can anybody recommend some bending exercises that are not as painful. Thank you

2 likes, 163 replies

163 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm afraid most exercises are a struggle at your stage probably due to swelling as much as anything.

Have you been advised to use a cryocuff to ice the knee?  For the first six weeks my husband did this for me every two hours for 20 minutes.  It is so soothing and reduces swelling.

Adequate pain relief is vital otherwise you will naturally hold back from exercising.

I am pretty tired of surgeons being harsh.  They just deal with the mechanics. Dealing with what comes after is another matter altogether.  It is SO difficult, both physically and mentally.

Lynn 17.5 weeks post op

• Posted

hi Lynn, thanks for your reply. Yes I have a cryocuff but have not been using it as often as you did. Maybe I need to do that. Pain relief is such a hard thing to get right. I also suffer from a herniated disc in my lower back so this does hamper my exercising as the last thing I want is my back to go again!  My leg is still swollen but physio said after a week if I had been doing my exercises properly it shouldn't have been. I think I will just forget about him and the surgeon for a week or two and try not be so harsh on myself, I am walking with a stick, not far and with a limp but I'm walking!

• Posted

With all due respect, your physio is talking complete rubbish.

Let him have this op and see what he says then.  You are so early on in recovery.  It takes a very long time.

Lynn 17.5 weeks post op

• Posted

i am totally with lynn on this one ... complete and utter tosh!  both your surgeon and your physio should be given a look at this blog and they will soon see that each one of us has a different story to tell.  there is no "by week 2 you will be doing this," or "by week 8 you need to be doing this" ... each one of us is different, and even each knee is different.  please do not feel pressured by them.  do what feels right to you while not forgetting that you do need to push yourself a little every day.  the exercises are very important, medication is SUPER important as is icing and elevating.  your knee becomes a full-time job, it is nearly all you think of all day and night.  and every day it gets better, little by little.

80 bend after two weeks is not bad.  i am 6.5 weeks and am stuck at 80 and in fact, have just been given a date to go back into hospital to have it bent under anestetic.  not something i am looking forward to but 80 is not really giving me the quality of life i was looking for after the operation.  and i did everything i could possibly do, incl. physio 3 times a week, exercising throughout the day, lymphatic massages (brilliant for swelling) twice a week, etc., etc.  still, i cannot get past 80.  

for you it is early days.  keep doing your exercices religiously doing what you can do.  don't give up!  and personally, i would consider changing physio.  it is VERY important to have somebody sympathetic to your plight, not somebody who is dragging you down.

good luck!

• Posted

thanks Britta. I will look for another physio. This one is a bit of an action man type. He insisted on telling me how he'd torn all the muscles off his thigh and how hard he'd worked to get it right and he could've given up but he didn't. You have to work through the pain etc etc etc....
    • Posted

Well, my physio who is caring and encouraging has the motto 'work to the pain, not through it'.

Have been with her for nearly 18 weeks.  She talks sense.

• Posted

Like the sound of her!  All I can do is my best at the end of the day. Thanks to everybody for their help and support...x🌻🌺
    • Posted

Stick with us.  Any questions, any time.

We've been there and got the t-shirt!

• Posted

your very lucky to have physio for that time ,i only had 2 sessions with my first and none with the 2nd , i was told to keep up with the exercises , they were pleased with my bend and ive never had any kind of problem with keeping it straight, managed that as soon as i was able to move when the spinal wore of , maybe that helped , but to have a physio to be able to chat to and ask all the why s and what nots ,x
  • Posted

Hi, I agree with everyone else, I think your surgeon is being very harsh. I did basic exercises about 6 to 8 times a day in the first few weeks but also used crutches. There was no pressure on me to stop using them in those early weeks. Getting your pain under control and using ice for swelling are also key as others have said. I expect you've been given it but I found the easiest exercise to help with bend was to slide foot back and fore on a piece of paper while sitting on a chair. You can do this as often as you like while sitting down. Good luck and hope everyone's comments have reassured you that it will get better. Don't think age has much to do with it by the way. Jen 
    • Posted

hi Jen, thanks for your reply. Yes I've been given that exercise but have been doing it in the kitchen and sat on toilet, I never thought about putting a piece of paper down at least I could be watching TV whilst I'm doing it.

thanks for the tip. When physio asked why I wasn't using sticks I said it was because I had crutches at home and I refused to pay for some sticks to use for a few weeks (Bupa don't cover these!!!)  my mums friend happened to have two so she has leant me them! 

• Posted

A shoe box lid works brilliantly on carpet

but it's trial and error I guess 

good luck all 

• Posted

Hi, 

i live in Perth, Australia. My physio suggested this exercise but using a skateboard! It's working really well.

i had my TKR 5 weeks ago and had a walking frame at first, then crutches. I don't need them in the house now, but I do take one out with me for safety, and to let others know not to bump me.

• Posted

Hi Caz,  I might have to try that! I'm using a carrier bag on my foot at the moment.  Bet it's nicer exercising in Perth than it is over here!  Hope you continue to improve.  🏄
    • Posted

Hi Shanders, Yes Perth is lovely, I am from Stanmore, Middlesex, emigrated here because I had rheumatic fever as a kid and as I got older the cold winters were very painful. We are just coming into summer, so the warmth will be great for my knee.

I'm taking my crutches to the Rolling Stones concert tomorrow night as Jean said, to let others know not to bump me.

I love your skateboard, or surfing graphic x

• Posted

Enjoy the concert. Not too much standing, I hope.

Lynn 18 weeks post op

• Posted

Enjoy the concert and if anyone gets in your way or blocks your view, wack them with your crutch!...x
    • Posted

We have seats, but with my poor bend I don't know how long I will sit. I think I will explain to the people behind me first.

Carol 5 weeks post op

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.