TKR

Posted , 18 users are following.

It the TKR done as outpatient surgery???

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Debra,

If it is a TKR I have not heard of anyone having it done without at least 1 or 2 nights in the hospital to manage the pain and monitor your health. Are you having a TKR done?

Frank

• Posted

Well Frank I'm bone on bone I've been told so thinking this is in near future

• Posted

I'm presuming your not in UK

• Posted

The reason I assumed you were not UK was because you would have more chance of winning the lottery here than going home the same days after any major surgery,

Are you worried about staying in hospital after your op for a particular reason, is children to look after or maybe your insurance doesn't cover overnight stay.

• Posted

I haven't heard that debra i was in for 3 nights went home on the fourth after everything was deemed to be ok .

• Posted

TKR is major surgery , and requires a stay in hospital after . Length of stay depends on the outcome of the operation . Watch a few videos of TKR surgery on youtube and you will understand how big an operation it is .
  • Posted

Ive not heard of it being done in surgery because it is major surgery it needs to b done in hospital .x
  • Posted

Hi Debra,

My TKR surgery was rather unique compared to most on this site. I live in Minnesota, and my surgeon is one of the top in the state and on the cutting edge when it comes to TKR. He practices in a huge orthapaedic center where they do day surgery. They have a program for TKR patients that are considered otherwise healthy and have no risk factors to have their surgery at the day surgery center, and then stay for two nights at the Hilton Hotel next door in rooms that have been set aside for patients recovering from surgery. I had a nurse there 24/7, and my husband was required to stay with me. Although the recovery period is never easy, it was so much nicer staying in a quiet hotel room, having my husband stay with me, and order off the room service menu! Wishing you the best as you prepare for your journey!

• Posted

Wow Diane that's great idea and feels better than hospital ! I'm in NC

• Posted

I would try stem cell therapy first.   It takes one hr and you walk out.  It is so great.   I would never get a TKR.   Stem cell is great.   They take from your bone marrow and insert your stem cells into your knees.   This is a wonderful new thing and I can't figure out why it is not FDA approved yet.   Google it.  I had it done last week and have not experienced any pain since.

• Posted

Can't see that that's possible! I spent 6 nights in hospital after my TKR.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I agree it isn't for everyone, but my doctor encouraged me to do it since I am healthy. It costs less than a hospital stay, and my health insurance did not require a pre-authorization! My doctor also does TKR surgery in local hospitals that require a 3 night stay. It was a good fit for me!

• Posted

Go for it! I'm in my late 70's and have no underlying issues. Most of those in my ward stayed at least five days. I'm still not fully mobile after 5 1/2 weeks post op but I'm getting there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.