TKR

Posted , 18 users are following.

It the TKR done as outpatient surgery???

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That a first I've ever heard TKR or PKR as outpatient in England??? No idea how other countries do their operations ?? In the U.K they usually say anything from 3-5 days stay in hospital. I had my op Saturday 3pm & left Monday evening, so I had two nights in hospital. We are all different & recover at different speeds ! Good luck ! 

• Posted

Not that I have ever heard of. I had a double TKR done in August. The surgery took about 3 hours and I spent 6 nights in the hospital
  • Posted

I was in hospital for 3 nights, fortunstely I have private medical through my employment
  • Posted

Hi debra. I had a giggle when I read your post. No offence but in Australia, surgeons plan for the worst! I am 64, fit and healthy, and I was glad to be monitored 24/7 for 6 days. There is much which can go awry post TKR and until we develop click in place body parts I believe hospital, with all its challenges and infection risks was the best place for me to be. Stem cell treatment to replace cartilage is not yet fully supported by medical professionals here in Australia. My GP's husband had a TKR recently because there was no viable alternative. 5 years time may be a real choice. All the best Lyn

• Posted

Hi Debra, I am also in the states (Arizona), I had bilateral TKR in June, stayed 4 nights. Friends who have had only one knee done have stayed anywhere from 1 - 3 nights, depending on dr./insurance, etc. 

Although it's a tough surgery, I did fantastic and healed fast. I am so glad I did it, my quality of life is so much better than before. 

• Posted

I don't think so. It is a very serious and involved surgery.

• Posted

Unlikely! I was in Hospital for 6 nights with both of my TKR's, and after the first one I was TERRIFIED of going home even after 6 nights! 

Good luck.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.