TKR

Posted , 16 users are following.

Has anyone felt down after there TKR. I am 8 weeks today, I have been feeling tearful. I can't stop doing housework ect. I think I am trying to prove to myself that I can do things, then get the pain and suffer. Is this normal ?

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-post-operative-depression-604195

Jedi Mind Trick...once you know what it is, kick it out the door.  This will help too...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

...and this...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-power-of-rest-some-great-strategies-to-try-on-a-tkr-617892

Stay strong...YOU OWN THIS and will NOT be controlled by fake phantoms!!!!

• Posted

I found all these posts extremely helpful.  Thank you.  
  • Posted

I am at 12 weeks with right tkr. Yes it is hard for wanting to do something and can't quite yet. At 8 weeks I was kind of back to my regular routine with feeding the birds and doing light dusting.

Yes I still get depressed at 12 weeks. Every time I try too push myself in walking I sure do pay for it. I am usually in pain for 2 days and can't do nothing.

Hang in there your not alone in this recovery

• Posted

I worked on a principle of NOT doing anything apart from self care, i.e. feeding myself, for the first two months. I put my energy into writing as it was a project I could do while resting, elevating, and doing exercises on the bed.

We choose our own way of getting through this, but in terms of a sense of achievement it might be helpful to also think of things which are sedentary to do but which give you pleasure.

I think you are right, so ease off on your self and realise there is a time for everything... put caring for yourself first if at all possible.

People's circumstances vary a lot and I was fortunate to have my husband who took responsibility for domestic management...I didn't start doing housework until 3 months post op.

Looking after yourself will help your mood also., I found getting over tired was the very worst thing I could do because unlike normally, the energy you spend doesn't come quickly back, and that is depressing!

Think about your knee as a hungry baby which takes all the energy from your body in order to heal. That is your body's priority, and your body puts that first.

I hope you feels better soon,

• Posted

Hey YOU stop it you will only knick yourself back your housework yes push youtself fir exercises extensions BUT housework you will twist your knee just go steady for now and tears are normal the doctors wont tell you but theres normal its post operation syndrome following replacements Sending you a big hug cis you need it and chin up you will get there 💖💖💖💖💖

• Posted

Deb

I’m seven weeks in I have no desire to do house work but would love to get out and cut the grass

I do what I can do the rest of the time I’m icing and relaxing 

• Posted

Absolutely... when I was about the same place in recovery, I thought I would be up and hopping. I was so disappointed in my progress and incredibly depressed. I questioned whether my decision to have the surgery was worth all the pain , sleepless nights and PT torture.  It was my right knee and I could not drive for nine weeks.  I can honestly say that at 11 months, I feel great. I can walk ( working on the running) and sleep most nights.  I still have stiffness, but walking stretches me out and I feel better.  We have all been through the depression and moments when we question our sanity. It will take time, hard work and determination. You will succeed and know that you are not alone. Eat chocolate, read a trashy novel, sing to your dog and go day by day..Someone is always here to listen to you.

Ellen

• Posted

Doing anything for more than an hour is tiring. My knee is stiff and I’m afraid I’m going to have to live with it cause I’m NOT having surgery again I wish I had not done this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.