TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a TKR week ago yesterday, today I feeling shocking, I have not got out of bed, which I know is not good. I am not eating or drinking, I am trying to have sips. Has anyone else felt luke this a week post op

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, it's a complete shock to our bodies. However you need to speak with a doctor and check you do not have an infection or complication. You must get moving a little or you will have issues in the future. The muscles around the knee must be strengthened from day 1. Get urgent medical advice.

• Posted

I have just made a G.P appointment.

I am going to walk around now, I really don't need complications.

It has only been today I have not walked around, I have done my excersices today. It id I feel rubbish today.

• Posted

Good. You're going to be ok Deb. Better to know all is as it should be. Your body has been to hell and back. Doc will confirm you're on the road back to a better life. It takes a long while but it'll be worth your effort of completing the exercises etc. Make yourself drink water and eat a little protein and veges and do it often. xx

• Posted

I agree totally with Lyn. Yes you feel really tired after TKR but not to the point of not eating or drinking.

Phone the ward where you had your op or contact your GP forthwith. Do not leave this act now.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi Deb sorry you feel so bad but I know exactly where you’re coming from.I am 6 weeks post op and still not great.At your stage I actually felt traumatised.It wasn’t that I was new to surgery as I had 2 spinal and a THR.The knee was horrendous for me and I felt very vulnerable,even in the hospital I only ate sandwiches and even now appetite not great.

Hopefully you will pick up soon and remember you’re not on your own.I have found this group really helpful.

• Posted

hiya ive had two TKR in 11 months the last one 13 weeks ago  You do feel like you just want to lie there and not get up But you have too or scar tissue will form Even worse you might end up having MUA to break tissue up Its hard work recovering from TKR and not for the faint hearted I too lost my appetite still now not recovered it really even now just picking making sure im getting enough to build the body up again Plenty of water will get rid of the inflammation through peeing a lot Spoil yourself Get some chocolates to munch when resting your leg with the ice packs Get a good book watch a film phone a friend This is your time to be pampered in between exercises etc Good luck in the coming months smile smile 
  • Posted

Even at 30 days, I was still drooling on my pajamas and sleeping 16 hours a day on the heavy-duty meds.  Totally normal.  The first 30 days are pure hell.  Gotta get past it.  If the meds don't work, get better meds.  Work with your doc: drug, strength, timing, combination with a muscle relaxer.  I was on Percocet 10/500 plus Flexeril 20 for at least the first month.

Remember, this is the most brutal of all surgeries.  You don't just brush it off and resume a normal life.  A full recovery (including stairs) takes a year.  Accept it.  Own it.  Click on my name and then "See All Discussions".  Lots of info out there for you.

• Posted

Hi Deb,

You are feeling exactly what most of us have felt when we went through this awful surgery!  But you must stay hydrated and have nourishments, even small snacks will help.  Recovery is difficult, certainly not for sissies!  But taking the bull by the horns is what you have to do to be successful. You made the choice to have the surgery, now you must make some more difficult and painful choices to accomplish healthy goals.  I am going to have my 2nd tkr in 2 1/2 weeks, not looking forward to it, but will do what is necessary to walk again without pain.  You can do this, you're stronger than you know, give yourself credit for beginning this journey, even more when you reach your destination.

Keep in touch, this is a great forum with tons of information, encouragement, and friends.

Many Blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Hi Debs

Sometimes the mess can interfere with our body disposing if it’s waste; that alone will make you feel awful and not wanting to eat or drink. Go to GP rule out infection; take your senna and lots of water. Most of all be kind to yourself. 

Hope your ok 

• Posted

That should have said meds on my post not mess apologies
  • Posted

Yes I am 2 weeks post op I also feel drained and have been in bed all day today yesterday I developed a chest infection so I am now on antibiotics I am now thinking why did I put myself thro this, but then I remember why I love walking and haven't been able to comfortably for some time plus the main reason I need to complete my cardio rehab

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your lovely kind replies, I got up had a walk round done my exercises, and managed to eat a fish cake.

I am in for the long run so I will do what it takes to get walking.without pain

Yesterday is behind me today is a new a new day.

Onwards and upwards from now on

• Posted

Hi Deb,

Sounds like you are coming along much better...great attitude, that's what most important!  Keep up the good work.

Blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Sounds normal but you must drink plenty of water and try and eat. Try getting up every couple of hours if you can and do exercises in bed. If in UK you will probably have a booklet. Things do get better. Do you have someone looking after you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.