TKR

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 4 weeks post TKR, I had my first TKR 5 months to the day I had my second.

I am finding the second op so much harder my mood. Is low

wish I had not had the second one done so soon after the first.

I have to look after my 2 year old grandaughter twice a week, I don't think this helps , but I have to do it.so her parents can work I love having her but I have looked after her since 2 weeks post op. She is my beautiful little darling . I hope this makes some kind of sense.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Deb, I'm new here and no expert. But I can't help but think your daughter or son do NOT understand how painful and serious your surgery was! Surely they could find someone to temporarily watch their child while you recover. You should NOT feel ANY guilt about this. If my son attempted to do this to me, I would consider it very selfish on his part and would NOT do it. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Us Mom would have raised our kids need a break and shouldn't be taken advantage of.

• Posted

Hi 

I can only say I was not fit to look after a child for at least 2 months.

It’s a hard recovery for some .

Good healing

• Posted

Hi

I am 9 weeks post TKR, I used to look after my granddaughter twice a week (she's 2) before my op, at 9 weeks I can honestly say I am no where near ready to have her again, I think at 4 weeks it's a bit early as your still in recovery, at 2 years old as much as we love them they are hard work, I would take time out to look after yourself 1st, xx

• Posted

I know I am finding hard but I would have alot of guilt if I did not look after her. I love her so much. I just don't know how to tell my daughter, as they need the money .

• Posted

I know I am finding hard but I would have alot of guilt if I did not look after her. I love her so much. I just don't know how to tell my daughter, as they need the money .

• Posted

My sister took care of me for six weeks post LTKR due to complications from surgery. When she left I was getting around in a wheelchair and living alone with three dogs. I had to think of safety measures if there were to be an emergency because I live in the rural mountains with no neighbors close by, like how would I get out of the house? What would I do if I fell and couldn't get up? (I carried a phone with me all the time )

Reading your post, I started thinking like an RN when I worked on a brain injury unit and the patients who were injured by the unexpected and safety measures for their recovery.

This early in recovery your mobility is not good enough if an emergency were to occur with a two year old granddaughter.  Would you have the strength to carry her to exit the house in an emergency or to the car? What if something happened to you and your granddaughter was then alone? Two year olds are very quick-could you catch her if necessary? 

Is there temporary child care at a local friend's home, church, school that can help until you have recovered enough to safely care for your granddaughter? Please ask for and accept help. You need to focus on healing yourself so you can enjoy your granddaughter when you have fully recovered. 

• Posted

Hi Deb

I understand your reasons fully, I am 62 with two grandsons. 

Be safe.

I have posted many times the Aircast knee wrap and ice bucket was really a help for me.

Good healing

• Posted

Awww I wish the mom and dad would've got some alt child care during your recovery time.      I bet the only good thing some days are that little baby lovin you. I got to take care of my grandson 3 days after bunion surgery- I could not have done it after  Tkr. May the force be with you--- and all your guardian angels! 

• Posted

I so agree w the fact that they are not having a clue what you went thru. Do not think you are inadequate - you have to heal to be able to be the best grama you can be this summer- have your children and anyone else around you watch a video of the procedure. I personally would not ask anyone, even my mom, to watch my kids if they couldn't handle an emergency situation 

• Posted

Looking after a 2 year old is hard work even for a fit person. You had serious surgery only 4 weeks ago and are just starting your recovery. Try and make her parents understand your situation, perhaps they could make other arrangements until you are fit enough to look after her. You have had her since 2 weeks post op, you can't really look after yourself that soon. Good luck it does get better with time.

• Posted

I have spoken to my daughter, things are sorted out now. Thank you for everyone's advice

• Posted

YEA!! So happy to hear this Deb.  Please don't feel guilt because it's misplaced guilt and not logical. You will be a better Grandma when you are fully recovered and can take care of her when that time comes. Plus, this is a good lesson for your daughter who needs to think of your welfare. Many blessings for quick healing!

• Posted

After reading thousands of posts on here for two years, I've noticed that the big majority of people who get #2 done sometime after #1 have a completely different experience...either for the better or worse.  Very few report similar experiences.  No clue...no explanation.  It just seems to be a pattern.  Your experience is definitely not out of the ordinary.

If you didn't experience Post-Operative Depression (your "low"wink the first time but are experiencing it now, just know that it's not real...just a Jedi Mind Trick...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-post-operative-depression-604195

Now kick it out the door...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.