TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 4 months post TKR, had a MUA 27th March, I have physio and hydro every week,started driving last Monday only short distances,I went out yesterday shopping with no crutches, I still have a slight limp , my knee went from under me 3 times , I didn't fall to the ground but it shook me up a bit and today it's done the same . Does this mean there's something wrong with the knee or is it normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am also 4 months post TKR and had a MUA on the 13th of April.  I have had the same issue with out of the blue my knee kind of buckles but I have not fallen.  I was told it is from doing too much on a knee that is weak.   Now that I have my ROM, I am working on strengthening.  Look up Chico Marx on this site, he has good exercise recommendations.  

• Posted

Hi Natalie

I would speak to your Physio as soon as possible. I am 3 months post op and have not had these issues. I’ve been driving from 6 weeks post op. I have to have a break now and then from driving and have a few days rest. 

My Physio said this could happen and you need to strengthen muscles as with TkR they remove cruciet ligament which stabilises the knee. 

• Posted

Thank you, I'm at physio on Tuesday so will mention it , you are doing well driving after 6 weeks, my TKR was on left knee and my cars a manual so I was finding it quiet hard . Xx

• Posted

Mine’s  on right knee car also manual. I’ve now built up to driving to and from work daily and longest journey to date has been 60

Miles round trip. 

I’m doing strengthening exercises I’m on 130 bend but still -4 straight have tendinitis in other knee though which is hindering me. 

Please let me know how you get on. 

• Posted

It means that your quads, glutes and core have all atrophied and that all the strain is being put on the knee joint alone.  You need to rebuild all that musculature to take the pressure off the knee and put it back onto the proper muscles.  You will lose the limp, regain your balance and be able to handle stairs again.  Here's the program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

This is very important work...will take many months because you start slowly.  Limping could turn into a lot more painful problems...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

...so it's important to start the muscle rebuild ASAP.  All of us have to deal with this...totally part of the recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.