Tkr

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm just here to let anyone who's needs a second knee replacement and are putting it off, my experience. I had my 1st one done 18th months ago and had my 2nd one done 31st January this year. I kept putting my 2nd one off, saying, it's not as bad as my 1st knee. It was, I just wasn't looking forward to the recovery period. I decided on end of January/Feb so I could be off work during the winter. I know everyone's experiences are different but this time has been so easy. I've had no sticks since about week 4 and even then it was really for confidence I used them (only outside). I've been sleeping on my side or stomach since week 2-3. Since the moment my op was done and that arthritic pain had gone, I wished I hadn't waited so long.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congrats on BOTH Knee replacements 😃

I had one knee replacement 3 yrs ago and I need the other one done LIKE YESTERDAY !! I am in so much pain (but as you felt, I need a minute to wrap my mind around the Recovery Time). So I am in process of dropping @ 20 lbs before I can get the surgery scheduled. This is beginning to be rough due to the pain, but I am planning to get it done soon.

I hope that you continue to progress greatly.

• Posted

I asked my surgeon in September what the waiting time was and was told 4 months, which too me to January. Maybe you can ask the same and make that your goal for losing the 20lb. Good luck

• Posted

i am going in for my 2nd tkr in May....nervous because my first one was awful for the first month....after that it was painful but bearable and by one year i was very happy i had it done....glad your second one went well....good luck during the test if your recovery!!

• Posted

me too! My 2nd one is scheduled fir MAY 23 . I'm determined to sail thru this one as my first 2 yrs ago wS BRUTAL

• Posted

Karen, I wish you all the luck in the world. I can't believe how good this one has gone. My bend is better than the 1st as well and my home exercises has been way easier too

• Posted

I'm 56 & had my left knee replacement in April of last year and I'm going to have my left knee replaced in May(in 2 months) . Wish me luck!

• Posted

haha! I meant I had my right knee replaced last April and having my left knee replaced in May of this year

• Posted

glad that your 2nd one went well. My first was easy but my second one has been a struggle.

• Posted

sorry to her that Jean. We're all different at the end of the day but it's all worth in the end

• Posted

Thanks Louise I'm hoping it improves. i had the 2nd one done because of night pain but at 16 weeks with the new knee nights are worse than before. Last week i had to have surgery for a skin graft on my nose for basal cell. I am positive things will get better...it just takes time.

• Posted

HEARD one knee is always worse than the other. My first one (right) was a real struggle so, perhaps this next one will be easier.

• Posted

hi thank god for positivity i had my first op done Last June OMG what a mistake wished i never had it done still having lots of problems knee gives way constant pain seen new consultant x-rays look ok ge cant understand why im still suffering due to have 2nd knee done in July have more faith in new consultant who will look at Rt knee while i'm under all i want is to be out of pain to be able to walk the dogs pain free and enjoy life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.