TKR 9 weeks post op

Posted , 31 users are following.

After having a few really good and painless days last week the pain is back with a vengeance....I've hardly slept all weekend ...my knee is painfull  tight and heavy

once again the painkillers are in use.

has anyone else had this happen ...I'm wondering if something has gone wrong with the knee

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,Jean,sorry to hear you are having problems. It sounds to me(11months post TKR) that you are entirely normal and what you are experiencing is all part of the roller coaster that is recovery from this op. Keep strong and positive!

• Posted

Hi jean, I had 5really good days last week, sat and Sunday were dreadful ,leg stiff hot, painful. Got 3hours sleep Sat last night got about 4. This morning leg fells much better. Is it the weather it was so wet and cold, or is it just how it goes? Know one thing jean,  sick and tired of it. Don't think you have injured or done anything untoward to the knee. Just part and parcel of the op, take care love from tucks 12 weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Tucks thank you for your reassuring reply 

I'm usuLly a person who just goes with the flow..but this ops enough to make a saint swear ..lol

i know for certain I will never have my other knee done ...I will crawl first sad

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel... I am 9 weeks on and  I am going crazy .. I went out for a days shopping  yesterday. .. For the first time  since op...  with crutches ... had to end up borrowing one of the shopping centres wheelchairs... i couldn't walk after about 30 minutes and hamstring spasms started... did enjoy the shopping trip though as I got to stay all afternoon thanks to wheelchair.... don't plan to make a habit of it though.... It really does make me feel down when there's so much I want to do but can't just now..  
    • Posted

I know how you feel Mary 

do we go out and enjoy it and suffer the pain afterwards....or do we stay in and vegitate ... I will suffer the former ...I want my life back ....I bought myself a new dress the other day to fit my new figure,... Watch me put the weight back on now ....  I keep trying it on  when I feel like eating comfort food 

• Posted

Hear,hear jean I would be put down rather than go through all this again. Hope at the end of the day we all think it was worth it. Take care my freind x
    • Posted

I'm with you jean. No way will I have the other knee done. I'm 5 weeks post op and feel defined by my knee. This truly is an awful op as regards recovery. I suppose we will look back one day and think all the pain, exhaustion and depression was worth it!!!
    • Posted

that is how I feel about it too. I dont know how others have had the courage to go through this again.

carol 6 weeks + 3

• Posted

Jean, by any chance are you having any major weather changes that would include a fast moving barometer. Often times this will cause incredible swelling and discomfort. A physical therapist once explained it to me as natures way of protecting injuries. Fluid rapidly builds around the injured area to form a cushion. In an area around a joint as big as the knee it can cause a lot of internal swelling and pressure. Otherwise it is probably just one of those times everyone experiences perioically.
    • Posted

We have had some really wet weather these past few days and a drop in the temperature too

so you could be right... 

• Posted

Someone else posted that they were told the weather definitely had something to do with it; we all need to be living in warmer and drier climates!
    • Posted

Jean, I follow your progress and sorry of course to hear of the  ups and downs but guess it's all part of the TKR.

For me, as I've said I'm doing all I can to save my 76 yr old knee(s) and finding that the tendon/.ligament product I'm taking now a few days short of 2 months SEEMS to be making a difference...  I have an appt with an chiro I had seen years ago and she will muscle test me and talk more about my knee as her office sells this line of supplements.....

I know you talked about the other knee so MAYBE you may be interested in what I'm taking.....just thinkin......Joy 76 US

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.