TKR advice

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone,im 52 and having a TKR in a few weeks time,i have been offered a device that goes over the toilet to help me during my recovery and i feel a bit embarrassed about getting it..Is it really beneficial to have one of these things,feeling very nervous about the op too..Thanks

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I say take it. Mine was free but being 43 I figured I didn't need it after the first week. I have nothing in my bathroom which is also small to grab on to except the toilet paper holder. I was using that until it broke right off the wall! I thought it was kinda funny, my boyfriend wasn't amused since he had to fix it haha! It also doubled as a shower chair which also helped. I also was given a continue cold pack. It's like a ice chest with tubes that are connected to a Velcro leg wrap and it pushes cold water throughout the wrap, wish I still had it. They also recommended this leg machine that bends your knee for you. I got it but didn't use it very much and I only got to 60 degree bend but it got me to bend my knee when I couldn't do it myself. Good luck this surgery isn't for the weak but then again neither is getting older. 
  • Posted

Absolutely, especially if a female.  Right after surgery it is difficult to sit down that low, so the device helps lift the height of the commode.

• Posted

sorry but yes , cant tell you how helpfull this was , the first few weeks you will find it so good , then if your out and about try and use a disabled toilet , dont be embarrassed we all have to go , i was only 52 when i had my first knee done and 53 with the 2nd , trust me it doesnt last long , and with other things you will have to deal with , going for a pee will be the last thing to worrie about ,
  • Posted

Hello Lou - I would strongly recommend the device for the toilet seat.  If it is the same as the one I have fitted, then it is very easy to remove for cleaning, etc, it is only clamped into position.  I am 12 weeks post TKR and I am still grateful that I have this aid.  I went into a local store a couple of weeks ago and went to use the ladies toilet which was situated close to the cafe.  Unfortunately, there was nothing at all to hold on to next to the toilet and it was too low to 'hover;!  I therefore had to leave the ladies and find the disabled toilets!  Good luck with the operation.  I am 70 years old and have suffered for over eight years becoming more and more restricted with the arthritic pain.  I am now able to walk wonderfully well and I feel that I have got my freedom back.  It is not perfect but such an improvement - I am sure you will feel the same once the operation is over.   Best wishes for a good recovery.  Dorothy
    • Posted

Thank you Dorothy for your advice,it all seems so close now only 3 weeks away,but im in a positive mind about it all and just wanting this pain to go away...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.