TKR advice

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone,im 52 and having a TKR in a few weeks time,i have been offered a device that goes over the toilet to help me during my recovery and i feel a bit embarrassed about getting it..Is it really beneficial to have one of these things,feeling very nervous about the op too..Thanks

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Personal preferance I didnt have one but others have found them beneficial
  • Posted

I would take the toilet device.  I had a toilet surround Which had arms so that it was easier getting on and off the toilet.  I found public toilets were difficult as some are a lot lower than mine at home so often used the disabled facilities.

Try not to worry about your op.  It will be worth it in the end, especially at your age. (I was late fifties when i had my two replacements and wish I hadn't had to wait so long - my consultant tries to avoid TKRs if you are under 60)

Good Luck!

• Posted

Take advantage of anything that makes life a bit easier in the early days! The bath transfer chair is also a great benefit. Don't give them up until you are recovered enough to do squats on your own. Then you will be able to lift yourself without twisting your back or hurting your shoulders as you pull or press yourself up using things that weren't intended for it (like towel racks, sinks, etc.). I am tall and had 2 TKR's this past year. I replaced my conventional toilet with a tall one. It looks great and does the trick.
    • Posted

Oh yes. And I am a young, very active, fit 55 years old. Embarrassment? None whatsoever! It is a waste of time! :-)
  • Posted

Please don't be embarrassed, it will be ESSENTIAL! I was still using mine two years afterwards. accept all help and apparatus offered and pass it on or back if/when no longer needed. 
    • Posted

Thank you and too everyone for all your comments,feel a little better now,just think its fear of the unknown..x
  • Posted

If they "give" you something rest assured you'll need it. Far less embarrassing to be able to get up yourself than having to call someone for help. We gutted and remodeled our bath after my original tkr and installed a toilet that is 2" higher that standard. One of the best decisions that we made in the entire process. Forget about feeling embarrassed about anything during this upcoming journey. You will experience a lot of things for the first time in your life, none of which the doctors have told you about. We've all been there and pulled through, just at our own timelines. Stay with this group and you'll get wisdom and answers from people who have traveled the road, potholes and all. Good luck
  • Posted

yes yes yes!!!! I wish I had got one. Loweing yourself down on to the loo is NOT easy when your operated leg doesn't want to bend. Forget all about modesty... Go for comfort. Five weeks post op I still find it difficult yo get back up from the loo!
  • Posted

Lou, I would drive, or walk across the country if someone could help me. Your only concern will be getting better and getting your life back. Many people with TKR do so I wish you luck and do not sweat the small stuff. Follow all the dos and don'ts of proper rehab. No one will care about things look as you rehab. 
  • Posted

Hi I did have one but found it more of a hindrance with the downstairs loo being so small.  I got rid of it after a couple of weeks. 
  • Posted

I hired one for six weeks. I could have done without it after about four weeks. I also hired a shower seat which was handy too.

Some people use a walking frame to help them get off the toilet but I think you would need considerable upper arm strength to to push your weight up from that level.

Good luck with the op and keep checking in here, the information is invaluable. I wish I had have known about it sooner. 

• Posted

Please take it, it really is a lot eaiser to get up, I am 52 also and I use the bathroom in my master bedroom so the other bathroom does not have it, so when company comes over they don't have to see it. By the way I still need to use it and I am 5 months after my TKR was done (Ihad both done at the same time) good luck 
    • Posted

I must be one of the lucky ones My op was October 1st and I am doing everything Im off pain killers, doing stairs, no problems with loo or bending I can walk 2 miles through woodland. I was even involved in a car crash (not our fault) and caught up. 

There are times when Im vaguely aware of it but its usually if Ive missed the exercises for a day

I also think the preperation for the op is important to strengthen the muscles. I went to the gym 3 times a week for over a year

• Posted

I think that is so awesome, I did the same to build up my leg muscles, but... well all I can say is I just got to keep working it. And again I am so happy that you are doing awesome... 
  • Posted

I made a very fast recovery, but I did take all the aids for the first three weeks.  I had the raised loo seats up and down stairs, shower chair, perching chair for the kitchen and trolly to take hot drinks etc.  All brilliant and certainly help with recovery.  If your hospital doesn't supply them I would certainly treat yourself to a leg lifter, just about the most brilliant device ever, it saves so much pain and will have you lifting your leg very quickly.  Type  leg lifter into Ebay it will be the best £7 you spend this year.

• Posted

Thanks Liz i will look now,anything to make life easier i will try x
    • Posted

'Leg ups' yes they are called that are a Godsend. Another is the long handled shoe horn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.