TKR am I too young at 55?

Posted , 24 users are following.

Had surgery for torn meniscus in February this year. The consultant who performed the op said I'd am lucky could last 2 years. It's gone from bad to worse. Had Physio and cortisone along with painkillers. Am now reduced to a practical crawl as its so painful to walk. Knee so stiff, aches, clunks, totally ruining my quality of life. GP appt going to refer me back to the consultant but friends have said they won't consider a replacement until I'm at least 60? Does anyone know if this is the case? And are there any alternatives?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI - your story is so similar to mine. people do not get how debilitating a "bad" knee is do they/ I asked my surgeon to do a TKR 2 years ago when I was age 61 and he said I was too young and the knee was too good - after two years of agony and erratic ability I have now had it done. It made me so angry as the last two years have been really really hard. TKR is also not easy but in the long run should be way better. There are several people posting on her your age and younger.

I do hope you get it sorted !!

• Posted

I had my TKR when I was 55, I said to the consultant everyoe had suggested I was too young, he said if your strugelling and in constant pain moving, why wait?

They say that TKR can last up to 20 years and you never know if you will make 75 anyway, so I say have it done and start enjoying your life while you are young enough t get soe real benefit from it, good luck. It was 10 months ago and I have never looked back.

• Posted

That is great to hear - well done you and lucky you for having a surgeon who listened smile

• Posted

He was a young surgeon in his 40's and he also thinks is easier to recover and get fit faster when you are young, i am back to lawn bowling 3 - 4 times a week which really speeds recovery with all that stretching anc bending and great fun too.

• Posted

I had a total right knee replacement 14 days ago. Two days before my 48th birthday. I had a custom knee made. It's a ConforMIS I total. So no worry of parts that don't fit properly. It's done by CT scan and the 3D image to make it to my body specifics. My surgeon agreed quality of life is very much a priority. He said" who am I to say that you or anyone else is going to live to be 80? So why be miserable until 60!" I'm very early in recovery. Working on ROM next PT session. Straightening has been the first priority. Good luck! Find someone who will listen.

• Posted

I had mine replaced at 46! In my opinion if your knee is shot, it's shot. Mine was a result of several injuries to my knee and similar to you, I also had a torn meniscus surgery which resulted in it getting worse. Best of luck to you

• Posted

Can I ask how long ago you had it and how it is going for you ?
    • Posted

I had it done 14 months ago and unfortunately not good. I'm in pt again, have had to have it drained 4 times and still in alot of pain😢

• Posted

These kinds of reports are very troubling.  Have you googled things that could have been done wrong by surgeons, such as oversized parts for the knee?  You might need this reviewed by another sugeon.  The other factors would be how soon you went back to your usual routines and stresses that may have hindered complete healing because bone, tendons and ligaments do take many months to properly heal.  
    • Posted

If possible, thats what i would do to. Second opinion couldnt hurt. Docs wont ever admit they screwed up.
  • Posted

I'm 57 and you story is so similar to mine. I had 2 scopes over last year and had tkr 2 weeks ago. I'm in the army post surgery phase. It's not easy for sure, a lot of PAIN, hard to sleep, Constipation, feeling depressed utility the job is done. The pain now is post op pain and will get better. I'm working hard on being positive and am hopeful for greatly improved mobility

Good luck in the time ahead

• Posted

if you don't do it now, you could end up like me with arthritis in your hips and other knee. I was a good girl, waited because "I was too young" but by the time I could wait no more ( around 50), the NHS lists were years long, my opposite leg had compensated so much, the rest of me was - and still is - a mess. I'm now 54, still waiting for a TKR. The rest is a long story - just do it as soon as you can - before your muscles waste away as well.

• Posted

Where do you live?  This is not acceptable in the usa.  You would have been treated sooner here.
    • Posted

I agree Lynn. I live in Maine but had my surgery done in New Hampshire, because the only doctor in Maine that did ConforMIS moved. And the knee is made in Bedford, Massachusetts. I got in to see the surgeon in 4 weeks, but had to wait for the knee to be made which takes 6 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.