TKR am I too young at 55?

Posted , 24 users are following.

Had surgery for torn meniscus in February this year. The consultant who performed the op said I'd am lucky could last 2 years. It's gone from bad to worse. Had Physio and cortisone along with painkillers. Am now reduced to a practical crawl as its so painful to walk. Knee so stiff, aches, clunks, totally ruining my quality of life. GP appt going to refer me back to the consultant but friends have said they won't consider a replacement until I'm at least 60? Does anyone know if this is the case? And are there any alternatives?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I guess it depends on where you are but if you scroll back though this site you will find a number of folks 50 and under that have had it done. Obviousily, it's the surgeons call but prosthesis' are lasting longer with proper care. That is to say, you may have to give up jumping out of airplanes, playing goalie and running marathons to protect the joint but you definitely can live with it.

One of the 1st lessons in joint repair is to stop taking advice from family and friends who live on hearsay. They will either have you so frightened you won't want to get out of bed in the morning OR believing you will be competing in aforementioned marathons in 4 to 6 weeks, which is equally absurd. Talk to a qualified orthopaedic surgeon and get the most qualified opinion as possible for YOUR situation. Knee problems are as different as fingerprints. Good luck. Sounds like you definitely need help.

• Posted

I had mine about 7 weeks ago at age 53. I've never heard it being about your age, but rather the degree of damage to the knee and the patient's ability to function. You need to listen to your body and your orthopedic surgeon needs to listen to you.  I am already glad I did it. Yes it was painful, but I know that this pain will continue to heal and subside. The pain I was having prior to surgery (for many years) would never have gone away with any other course of action. Good luck and feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi I'm 56 just had TKR look into Smith&Nephew custom knee. They take multiple measurements via MRI and x-ray. My surgeon was loves the way it fits lot less fitting. Joint is supposed to be good for 30 years. Good luck, it is a painful operation but once done should be ok. 

• Posted

I'm 37 and just has my right knee replaced. I was bone on bone and struggled to walk for years. My surgeon said age ultimately doesn't matter in the end. Good luck!

• Posted

Try the 3 shot synvisc first. Seems funny they would say replace just for tore meniscus. Less theres alot more wrong. Had torn cartiladge removed 3 times. Last time was 15 years ago. Feels fine. Get the synvisc twice a year. They didnt want to do a replace on mine so soon cause of the life of replacement knee. Not sure what it is now but back then was only 5 to 10 years depending on which one you got. These other people could tell you more about that. Insurance doesnt want to pay to have mine done again and again. Work related injury.

• Posted

Who knows what the parameters are for the UK, but in the USA you would definately be a candidate since the new materials cause a TKR to last 30 years.  Get a different doctor if you are able to.
  • Posted

Cortizone is just a anti inflamatory. Its useless. The clunking sounds more like a ACL problem. Joint popping apart kind of thing. My brother had his ACL done decades ago. Hes just started to have problems again.

• Posted

You are not too old for TKR, I am 55. I had surgery in March for partial menisectomy. I went to P.T, the pain never got better. 6 week check up the doc decides to give me a cortisone injection, a week later another. Still in pain , a series of lubricant injections. I could barely walk at this point. Got a second opinion from another doc. Took MRI, stated I developed a SONK lesion from the menisectomy. Spontaneous osteonecrosis of the knee. The bone in my femur was basically dying.

Thank god this wonderful orthopedic surgeon agreed to do a TKR. That was 6 weeks ago and taking longer to recover because of this diagnosis but on the road to recovery.

I hope this helps, get a second opinion now.

Keep us posted.

• Posted

You're not too young at 55.  I've seen rare cases of 35-year olds.

I had four scopes (two on each knee) for both meniscuc and femoral condyle problems.  What got me through a decade was Synvisc.  Think "synthetic viscosity"...oil for your knees.  The regular Synvisc is three shots (days 1, 8 and 15)...lasts up to a year...mine lasted 10-11 months before another set of shots.  Takes a few weeks to work itself in there but the relief is very noticeable.  The new SynviscOne is a single shot that lasts up to six months.  

Before I'd go the TKR route (the "final" and "nuclear" option), I'd try Synvisc.  Works great for a lot of people...maybe you too...

• Posted

The one big concern with getting it (synvisc) is the Dr's being able to convince the insurance companies it will actually work. Its very expensive and insurance companies want a high rate of guarantee they are going to get some bang for their buck. Otherwise, you could be out several thousand USD. I'm not sure how that works in the UK and other countries with socialized medicine. Over the past couple of years, I've seen a variety of answers even from the same general areas. Again in the US and of course this wouldn't be the case here, Medicare is really a battle to get approval. I was flat turned down as no possible way it would give me relief.....and that from a teaching med center. Whatever you can do, its worth the effort, up to a point of being completely unreasonable.

• Posted

Synvisc may be just over $1000 here but I am prepared to pay out of pocket for it because it lasted 12 months.  It is well worth $100/month to me since insurance won't cover it.  Their theory is that you should just get the TKR and not use these half steps.  But I need to buy time to get the first TKR completely healed first, before getting a second.

• Posted

I used Synvisc for a lot of years then moved from New Jersey to Texas...much warmer climate.  Didn't need any Synvisc down here for over six years.  Went to the doc this January who told me I could restart the Synvisc but that would only delay the inevitable.  I decided on the TKR because, at 68, I felt strong enough to do the recovery.

Yes, Synvisc is a temporary fix but it can relieve a lot of pain for up to a year at a time and can put off a TKR for a while.  All comes down to personal choice...yeah, and insurance.  Just remember...TKR is the option of last resort.

• Posted

I'm betting you didn't need the synvisc in TX for so many more years because of the warmer climate.  I had noticed for several late fall seasons my inner knee hurting but it usually had adjusted after 2 weeks of cold weather.  It has been a signal now in my other knee as to how much time I have before getting the second TKR.

• Posted

Jersey was killer...especially with two bad knees and a hip replacement.  Cold winters, really humid summers.  Down here, it's 100-degrees but low himudity.  After all those years in Brooklyn and then Joisey, I love the warmer climate.  Can't imagine moving back north.

• Posted

We still have real winters where I'm at.  (Montana)  Maybe we'll be lucky enough to find a warmer climate.

• Posted

Its the barometer changes that are killers to me. Just thinking of summer turning to fallmakes me shudder. I'm feeling it Today as we have a huge system change coming in over the weekend. Its been in the high 80's /low 90's all weekend then a high of 65 with rain Sunday. That sends the joints screaming with pain.

• Posted

You should join a health club with a hot tub or therapy pool on such days
    • Posted

Same here. My knees tell me the weather wsy better than any weather man
    • Posted

Sounds good....but....I have no timevforvthat I'm afraid. My wife has advanced Parkinson's disease and I'm the caregiver. Recently she took a Parkinson's type fall and broke a hip requiring partial hip replacement. Also hit her head in the fall and not recovering well from the mental side. Hip healing fine. Brain not so good. Much depression and anxiety which is worsening.I'm still trying to recover from a strange semi fall when my leg failed to work and twisted my hip and back. I could use a lot of hot tub therapy but lucky to get a warm shower.

• Posted

What my old doc used to call it. Getting my knee lube job. I think its great stuff. Pretty used to it now. Had it done so many times. New doc uses a freeze spray so i feel it even less. Not useing it never bothered me tho. Old doc had done it so much, he knew where to go so it didnt hurt. Kinda a wierd feeling mostly. Been getting them over 10 years.
    • Posted

Is there a pill form that one can take? I don't like horse needles.

• Posted

Of the synvisc? No. It's a direct injection into the joint. It's like a lube job. They use a freeze spray. It's not to bad. I've had over 60 shots done on me. Kinda used to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.