TKR: Do we actually improve? Or just find ways to make it not hurt so much?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm getting on for around six months post op now and It occured to me this morning, while getting out of my car after having arrived at work, that it seems to be much easier than it was previously.  So I paid attention to exactly how I was managing to get out of the car more easily.

It transpires that I still have to have the door wide open, and the seat as far back as possible, to enable me to get my right leg out of the car (right knee being the replaced knee joint), I swing both my legs out and 'ground' them, and then shuffle towards the edge of the seat and using my right elbow/arm as a lever against the outside of the door pillar, use that to come to a standing position.  It all sounds very complicated and fairly slow, but it happens 'almost' without thinking about it, and in a couple of seconds.  I have no pain and all seems very second nature, but in my heart I know it's anything but natural.

I just wonder if we sort of adapt ourselves into whatever task we're doing, so it doesn't hurt, or whether, we are actually improving.

2 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes we do compensate but I know loads of people who have had tkr and now walk, play sport and get in and out of cars normally and a lot of them are over 70. However they all keep telling me the same  "you're being impatient, don't overdo things but keep doing the exercises and it will take a year to 18 months". Not what you're told before the op I know but thousands of people have tkr and get back to normal. Mine has been a long and complicated journey bit my other knee is so painful now I'm contemplating having that one done as well and six weeks after the first I swore I would never have it done!
  • Posted

Before I had the op I was in constant pain, my leg was bowed and I was shuffling round like an old woman. That was February this year.  My knee does'nt quite feel like  the one I had when I was 21 but it's a vast improvement on pre op. I can walk for miles and dance the night away.  In order to get full movement on the knee you've got to push the pain barrier but it's worth it.
  • Posted

Several years ago a close friend and associate died. Several months later another acquaintance asked how I was getting along and my reply was I was about back to normal...........it's just a new normal. That's what we all seem to face, just a new normal.
    • Posted

I was thinking about your comment and it's true, that as we age each phase in life becomes a new normal. That " phrase" tends to put things into perspective somehow. At least it does for me.

BTW OFG, how far along are you with your TKR?

Betty 22 weeks

• Posted

A good description 😄 I feel so good when walking sometimes now though     like today, when walking round a local store, I had to stop to tell my husband how good it felt to be walking round relatively comfortably. Although not really "normal" I'm beginning to feel the benefits of having this op - yippee!! 
    • Posted

Hi to you Lynn! How are you doing? I'm wondering two things: one, now that you have been through one TKR, does it make you more prepared for the next one, or are you dreading it terribly?

also, now that you are at 25 weeks, are you still feeling stiffness after getting up from a sitting position or out of bed? Are you still doing any of the exercises?

Always good to "hear" from you. Betty 22 weeks

• Posted

Doing well now thanks Betty.  For the first couple of months after my op I swore I couldn't even contemplate going through it again.  It's a bit like childbirth though - the worst memories fade.  Really not looking forward to the other knee, but I have no choice.  Our daughter is coming over from the US first week of March and I plan on having my op towards the end of that month.

Have just finished seeing my physio and not exercising as such.  Just keeping busy with Christmas looming!  Knee still stiff on getting up in the morning and after sitting, but I soon get going.

• Posted

Betty, mine is an ongoing series of stuff

12 years ago I had a rare tumor pvns, break open and started a series of scopes to drain quontam amounts of blood (almost 1000 CCS) over 4 months. Then radiation, a synovectomy then tkr. By Jan 2013 the tumor had done so much damage it caused the prosthesis to to break loose and literally float in the tibea causing tremendous pain. I had it replaced and the following day, through my own carelessness, I fell breaking the femur. Next day an 18" plate and 8 screws were surgically inserted. Went through my 3rd complete rehab when the hardware began the irritation that I couldn't stand. In Oct I had it removed as an out patient. 30 days later a staph created the need to completely reopen the knee and the plastic disc between the femur and tibia had to be replaced. Start all over again on therapy. My entire leg is very weak and lots of scar tissue. I will be on antibiotics the rest of my life. 2 months ago I had a kidney/bladder infection that got out of hand and my bp dropped so fast I collapsed on my knees and forehead, splitting my head open and requiring hospitalization. Thought I was o.k. but since then my bad leg is swelling and has become still and weaker. I have an appointment with my ortho on Tuesday to see if I damaged something or the fall caused the tumor to become active again. They can't get all of of it because it sits on a bundle of nerves. Who knows what will be next. Gotta keep pressing forward. I don't worry, just keep looking for solutions.

• Posted

Yes, it is a busy time right now with Christmas looming! Is your daughter coming specifically to help you when you have your second TKR? How long will she be with you?

The thought of a second TKR is daunting but what would help me is thinking back as to how fast the weeks went. It's hard to believe I'm going on 5 months already. 

Take care Lynn and keep us updated before and after! Betty

• Posted

You are a wonderful person and an example of sheer guts and determination

when I feel like moaning about this TKR of mine I will read your post 

Jean 

• Posted

No, she's only here for a week.  My other daughter will help me out - well, as much as she can with two young babies.

Merry Christmas!

• Posted

Isn't that the truth Jean? How one person can endure so much, it's unbelievable! I think I'll keep my petty complaints to myself! 😥
    • Posted

All that way for just a week? That's too bad, but I'm sure she's busy with her ranch! 

Merry Christmas to you as well Lynn!

• Posted

All that you have been through, you still have your wit and sense of humor and have been such an inspiration to all of us on this forum!

Bless you!

• Posted

Just to clarify to all, regarding my comment about keeping my petty complaints to myself, I was referring to myself & myself only!

There is nothing petty about anything talked about on here. Everyone is going through their own personal journey. 

It was just a reaction to OFG post that made my personal complaints seem petty. I feel pretty damn fortunate compared to others on here!

Betty 

• Posted

I understand exactly what you mean, Betty. And I endorse what you say about OFG - he's such an inspiration to us all. Hope he, you and all other friends on here enjoy Christmas 🎅🎄 Jen x
    • Posted

Hi Lynn, I don't envy you having to go through this again but now that I'm beginning to be able to walk better than before the op I can understand how you know it must be done. I know I would if my other knee was like mine pre op. Hope you have a good Christmas and just think by the end of 2015 you'll have 2 good knees 😊 Jen x
    • Posted

Thank you Jennifer. Merry Christmas to you AND a happy, healthy new year to all!

🎉 Betty 🎉

• Posted

Thanks for the knid words. I made up my mind a long time ago this thing wasn't going to make me a victum and, as I have gotten older, I recoginize the only difference between being in a rut and a grave are the dimension so I fight through that as well. However;  please don't get me wrong, I have my quiet, private moments of complete meltdown. Mentally I throw things, swear and criticize everything and everybody. Then I'm better and off on another tangent. Today has been difficult.....it's cold, gloomy and we had a light 3" snow. Kids were in and out and now here we are a couple of old, aching bodies trying to get ready for Christmas and are really unenthusiatic about the process. That too shall pass when the pain lessens a bit. I went out to buy my wife a new recliner for Christmas and couldn't pull the trigger on the deal.......oh well.....there's always tomorrow.. Everybody have a good day and good thoughts......those are the healthy kind.
    • Posted

In one of my darkest years, you've been a shining light for me.

Full of compassion and the best advice.

A very merry Christmas to both you and your wife.  And don't let that recliner beat you!

Kindest regards, Lynn

• Posted

Merry Christmas to you too Betty 

land a very healthy New Year x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your kind words, they bring sunshine to an overcast day. This site has been a blessing to me as it allows me to release some of my pent up emotions and always hope someone gets something out of the experience. I wish it had been around early on for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.