TKR..does anyone else feel pressure on their knee cap?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi

its been 3 weeks since my op, im doing better than i expected walking wise, im getting about without my crutches, (in the house,.....using just one outside)

im experiencing pressure on my knee cap, it feels like im pushing against a brick wall with my knee, and the pressure is immense, did anyone else experience this. i feel like the metal is trying to push my knee cap out, the surgeon had to file my knee cap.

also back pain and crunching sounds in my spine...i had problems with my spine years ago and had 20 injections, and has been fine up to now ( arthritis and degeneration of the lower spine)

im now concerned that whilst my new knee was being operated on that while they were manipulating it they pulled on my spine, could this be a possibility? Also having bladder problems since the op too..

i will contact the doctor on Monday and ask, but just wondered if any of you experienced any of my symptons .

thank you for reading x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hello i had TKR 6 months ago unfortunately done twice as it became infected. i have the knee cap pressure and also sharp tingling and bending feels like knee area is solid. have seen surgeon several times it is improving he says to be patient can take a year or more to get there. they may have pulled on your back as they lift you about on the operating table. they pulled my shoulder giving me a frozen shoulder which has taken 5 months to get right. speak to your surgeon and get them to investigate your back and bladder font leave it good luck it all takes patience and time

• Posted

all of that and more....now at almost 5 weeks for me. trying to get acclimated to these strange new feelings like there's a little man in there going what the heck? it's my army against the artificial joint...well you know the new joint has to win eventually. my back in same condition as yours. i think every time we consciously fight the new knew our back takes on that emotion. it's been proven the human heart can think independantly. how much more can our spine think attached the cortex of our brain. maybe we have to be good soldiers and follow instructions from our new knee, trying not to control our feelings

• Posted

I had my TKR done 11 months ago and for about 6 months thought it was the worst thing i ever did. The aches and pains in your back is because you are not walking properly, i had the same problem along with pain in my hips. My knee cap was tight and clunks sometimes. You have to hang in there, you have had major surgery and full recovery takes 12 to 18 months. I found that riding my exercise bike with seat low helped to ease the tight knee cap. I lowered the seat a little bit each day. At first i could not pedal a full rotation but now it is much easier.

I am now so glad i had the TKR done. It has changed my life.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

i am thinking of joining a gym and doing aqua aerobics in January, im seeing the physio for the first time 4 Nov so will ask if that will be ok...

yes, hip pain is terrible too..im sure it will all be worth it, as i couldnt walk far before the op..so hoping for good things .

• Posted

yes i am doing the same after christmas, aqua arobics and feel good factory. physio has offered me 6 week coarse for joint replacement activity once i have finished with physio...i will take any exercise to get it right...

• Posted

Please click on my "Post-TKR Exercising" link below. The whole program is laid out for you by a pro...

• Posted

Hi Deb, glad to hear you are doing well with your walking. I was exactly the same , walking without crutches inside and out as very confident with my new knee. I am 5 weeks in now and having lots of different sensations, more like irritable legs but just in my right knee, but none like you are describing. I have learned from this blog that everyone is different and heal at different times and have different post op problems. it does say you can have bladder problems for a couple of weeks and if persists it is easily sorted. Did you have Spinal injection for your operation, it sounds as though they have disturbed your earlier problem. Are you still on pain killers?...Its only early days but if you are worried see your GP....did the hospital give you a number to ring if you are concerned......

• Posted

hi Alice

no i didnt have the spinal, as i was worried that it could damage my spine as i have bulging discs.

i dont take many painkillers as im having terrible tummy pain, so usually one in the morning then 2 paracetamol at night,

im so glad that we have this blog as it helps knowing that others are going through it too and can offer support and advice..

• Posted

I had the spinal block which was my surgeons choice. My tummy pain is just beginning to subside approaching 5 wks out. Inactivity contributes greatly to gas but I never experienced anything like this. Such discomfort added to the misery of actual surgical site, my TKR. Conclusion: surgery is no walk in the park. Making a point of walking around apt and getting up every 15 min or so no matter how challenging it is. When you get engrossed in a book everything freezes up, gas pockets and boom!

• Posted

you are doing very well with not many painkillers, you must have a very high pain threshold. i thought I did but not compared to you , well done. i am winding myself off them hopefully ...

• Posted

had my first physio today, and have to say he was extremely pleased with my progress..i start excercise classes on thursday with him, which will be 5 weeks since my op...im getting about without crutches and managing the stairs really well. i do have days when the pain gets worst but i know ive also been overdoing the walking outside..but i hate being stuck indoors..

• Posted

You will absolutely feel all sorts of ancillary pain after a TKR...

Other Pain After a TKR

Chiropractor, AFO, brace... Find what works for you. Stay away from RX meds...this is temporary!!! Yes, those pains will start to subside in time but you have to do the work to eliminate it...

Post-TKR Exercising

Only by rebuilding all the surrounding dead musculature (quads, glutes, hip flexors, core, etc.), do you have any chance of being pain free down the road. This takes time, work and patience...plus commitment!!! Do the work...enjoy the results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.