TKR failures

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondered what are the main causes of knee replacements failing? Is it because of infection? Or just bad surgeons ? Anyone know 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

After being on here for a loooong time, I see very few reports of "failure".  The biggest problem is people's expectations.  When they expect too much, too soon, they will complain like hell.  There are threads on here regarding cement vs. cementless but those are few and far between.

The greatest cause of a TKR failure and required revision is that people disregard the post-TKR restrictions and go back to running, jogging, singles tennis, etc. and destroy the knee in three years instead of having it last 25.  If you do anything to pound or torque the knee, you've damaged it yourself.  Not a fault of the device...just sheer stupidity.  But...everyone gets to make their own choices...

• Posted

I didn’t know there was cement or cement less ! I have no idea what mine are ! Done by different surgeons 7 years apart . I will ask when I get my year check up after op 
  • Posted

hi jenny I think mine is bad surgeon hes been struck off from nhs but working as private I know that I'm not the only one whos had problems I might have an infection also as my knee is swollen 

• Posted

I am at 22 months (on the 19th) post LTKR and mine failed! Several reasons for failure for mine:

1. I did not pick the right OS for my TKR. Although he is a great OS in the most part, I did not pay attention when he said I would be the SECOND cementlessTKR that he has done out of 5,000 TKR.

2. He could have used a "sleeve" on the tibial portion to begin with and maybe my bone would have grabbed on to the implant.

3. I have osteopenia.

4. I have since found out I am allergic to COBALT and my knee implant is ALL cobalt!!!

Hindsight is great! I will have to disagree with most of your comments Chico regarding failures.

• Posted

When considering this op I was given some good advice : ‘the most important thing is the surgeon’ - and thankfully we have a lot more info easily available now to help us sus out the most experienced ones with fewest complications and revisions etc! Knowledge is power! 

But I’d say we also maybe assume too much about what people understand is *really* needed post op  ( and maybe Pre-op too) this maximise the chances of the best possible outcome. I have a bit of a passion for improving patient information and I see big holes in the info we give people and indeed how we give it.  If you are inclined to and have the kit and skills you can find out a lot more yourself but sometimes we do that a bit late in the game and in any case not everyone can or will.  That lack of information and understanding then shapes expectations AND behaviours so I think it’s a significant factor that medics etc don’t pay enough attention to! 

• Posted

Absolutely.  Expectations are the biggest things that get in the way of a recovery.  People get upset and depressed because they have this mindset that they will be happy and playful in six weeks.  DELUSIONAL!!!  Whether they get this from a doc, a friend, something they read or make it up in their heads, it doesn't matter.  People need to know the reality of a TKR and be prepared for it.

I wasn't.  I was just as delusional.  I had FULLY rehabbed a hip replacement in six weeks (5 hours a day, six days a week) and two shoulder impingements in weeks instead of months.  Knee?  No problem.  I even booked a gig with my band 10 days after surgery.  DELUSIONAL!!!  Ran face first into the wall.  However, I learned the ropes very quickly and adjusted...got rid of ALL expectations.  Not many people do that and pay the price. 

I have a discussion post on the Forum for Pre-TKR Expectations so people can read the REALITY of this and understand the commitment they must have to a full recovery.  I wish there was more stuff out there...

One picture says it all...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

• Posted

Not sure about causes, Jenny, and I feel Chico is right on expectations, however in our situation, I feel strongly that our surgeon or the nerve block caused my husbands neuropathy. He is 14 mo post op and is unable to walk, stand or balance himself any longer. His serval nerve biopsy indicates it is highly possible, but not 100%. His next step is a blood plasma transfer. We are waiting on ins approval. 

I am at a complete loss at times. 

• Posted

So sorry to hear that , I know it’s popular to have nerve block and not a general anaesthetic, I had general with pain killers in leg that lasted 24 hours , hope it’s sorted out for him . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.