TKR full steam ahead!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Spoke to booking all confirmed pre op tomorrow then due to be admitted 7.00Tuesday! Stomach in bits hope my nerve holds up

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh that is BRILLIANT!  I know you're having to pay for it but you're so lucky having it done so soon!  Please don't worry - the hospital will take care of you and you'll be fine and we all look forward to hearing when you get home again:-)))  There are so many of us on here waiting for our second knees to be done who would jump at the chance of going in next week:-))))  That has to tell you something:-)))

• Posted

Good luck . If you have you have the option have a spinal anaesthetic , rather than a general anaesthetic? . The recover is much easier , you will be sedated and listening to music during the op . I had my first knee done with general and the other with spinal , second was much better to recover from . Most important after is to do the physio , no point in the op if you don't .

• Posted

Thanks David, have been offered the choice but pretty certain will go for general. Am just too nervous of spinal
    • Posted

I was given no option, it was spinal or nothing!

Having had it done that way I wouldn't want GA, spinal is much much better. You don't feel a thing & I was sedated with Propofol so just drifted off to sleep. The anaesthetist asked me if I wanted a 'gin & tonic' to which I replied yes please & in went the propofol!! It means you are relaxed, don't feel pain but are able to sit up & eat & drink as soon as the op is over. If I had not been one of the last to be operated on, they would have had me up & walking that day!!

You'll be fine!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Yes, when someone said they chatted to the anaesthetist - the last thing I remember before even been wheeled into the proper theatre bit was my leg being lifted up and then I was totally out of it.  It was brilliant though.  We are SO lucky to have this option!
  • Posted

You will do just fine! I just had my second three weeks ago and am glad it's over. Now on to healing and physical therapy. Can't wait to hear how it all goes. Prayers for surgery and a quick recovery!

• Posted

Oh, how exciting, keep us posted and give us the blow by blow account!😁

• Posted

good luck we will all be here waiting for you when

you return xx

• Posted

Good luck. I have had a few ops and must say that spinal was the better, you recover much quicker. Now waiting for my other knee doing. Just keep up with the exercise.
  • Posted

Your nerve WILL hold up.  You've been on here a while and fully know what to expect.  No surprises.

That said...I wish you "MINUS three standard deviations" on the bell curve.

• Posted

I can't tell you it's a walk in the park, it's not. But truly for me it's been the mental game. Keep it positive and it will be ok. I had a  choice of general or block. I took general also. Less stressful for me. I'm three weeks out and doing great, just doing what they tell me and working hard...my PT told me today best thing I did was keeping my knee iced ALOT. Hell I thought I was the ice queen! But it has helped tons. So good luck, enjoy being waited on and find something positive everyday.

• Posted

Mental...GREAT POINT!!!  The mind can only hold one thought at a time.  Multi-tasking is a myth...it's just the quick shuffling of thoughts in and out.  So with the "one thought" rule in place...keep that thought a good one...

- Read an engrossing book

- Sleep A LOT!!!

- Kill zombies on Xbox

- Put on headphones and get lost in the music

And all those negative thoughts: Jedi Mind Tricks.  Don't fall into that trap!!!  You end up in a cave with Darth Vader.  Yes, they have GREAT cookies over on The Dark Side (the macadamia chocolate chip are to die for) but you really don't want to be there.

Also, remember to prepare for possible Post-Op Depression...very, very common but only an illusion.  Do NOT take anti-depressants for it and get hooked on that crap.  Very temporary; easy to overcome...just beat it to death with your cane and throw the remains out the window.  Seriously.

Focus your mind on healing and light...nothing else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.