TKR full steam ahead!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Spoke to booking all confirmed pre op tomorrow then due to be admitted 7.00Tuesday! Stomach in bits hope my nerve holds up

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Congratulations on getting your ticket to feeling better! Since you have cleared for surgery, it has been confirmed that your surgery is NEEDED. Your pain from damage will soon be replaced by healing and moving toward getting back your life again!

Focus on how good you will feel when your surgery has been completed.

My pain prior to surgery was MUCH WORSE that the pain of surgery. You will have medication which will help you through the first few days. You will be up, standing, and then WALKING probably by evening. Your body has been dealing with A LOT. Now it is its turn to get repaired and on the way to feeling BETTER!

Think positive thoughts, keep breathing deeply in and then out to increase your oxygen levels, and try to relax.

You will be fine!😊

Sending prayers of calm, strength, and peace to you tonight!

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

Good luck and wish you all the best only wish I could go private but can't afford to I'm in so much pain waiting 12 weeks so far so hopefully not much longer

• Posted

Do pleased for you, & it's so quick too.

Who isn't nervous before any operation.

You'll be fine, this time next week it will all be over!!

Tell how it was privately!!

Good luck for Tuesday.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

"Who isn't nervous before any operation?"

I'm not.  After 28 ops (most minor ones) in 17 years, I'm in pre-op with a blood pressure of 118/66 and a heart rate of 54.  The nurses question whether or not I'm already drugged.  When you get to be a pro at this, nothing bothers you.  I figure if The Big Guy wanted me dead on a table, he would have done it already...

• Posted

I'm not nervous either , had second knee op with spinal rather than general , no problems just chatting to aneathestist , or listening to music . Had 2 Carpal tunnel release? surgery with local  and watched both times , it was an interesting experience both times .

• Posted

Knee with a spinal?  Sorry, you're waaaay braver than I am!!!!!  Can't even imagining doing that for my second one down the road...

• Posted

I had spinal for my bilateral TKR and it was wonderful!! They gave me an IV with some Versed and something else too. I don't remember a thing and the 3 1/2 hrs was like 5 minutes.

• Posted

The sedation is usually a light dose of Propofol ("Jackson Juice"wink, morphine or similar.  Not enough for general anesthesia by enough to feel no pain.  It's the Versed that wipes out your short-term memory.

• Posted

Trust me I didn't feel a thing , and the recovery after was great , no sickness and eating dinner not long after . Out of bed next day doing physio . Much better than the one with a general . Listen to music of your choice or chat to anethatist . If I had to do it again spinal is the way to go , and I'm not brave at all , but a friend who is an anethitist advised me it really is the best option .

• Posted

Yes my son is a nurse anesthetist and he said the same thing. Spinal is the way to go!
    • Posted

Yes did this with my hip and both tkrs went fine
    • Posted

I had my first knee with a spinal David and there is absolutely NO way I'd go for anything different again.  The worst bit was the theatre being cold and then when they said 'cold fluid coming on your back' and if felt like a bucket of ice thrown at it LOL!  But I was happy, and remember them lifting my leg in the air and I laughed saying  'well it looks like my leg, but it doesn't feel like it' LOL!  The sedative works like a dream and the only noises I was aware of hearing were a bit of hammering and a bit of stapling, but it all felt very removed - as though it was down a corridor somewhere, and nothing to do with me,  and I felt totally happy.  And of course, you get better pain control for the first few days with the stuff they put in the spinal.  IT WAS BRILLIANT!  I'd have absolutely no fear of that being done again.  I DID feel sick after it, which I hadn't expected - in fact was as sick as a dog, but all in all it was a totally happy experience (apart from the cold bit!).  My only moment of anxiety was as they got my bed outside the theatre thinking 'if you want to do a runner, now is the time!' LOL!  Having said that, I know I was quite stressed for weeks before.  Not so much about the actual operation but about trivial things like not being able to wash my hair in hospital and silly stuff.  But just the thought of  being in hospital stressed me - it was all a big unknown how I'd manage to do anything I needed to do, but it was all so easy!  NO worries about the next one at all - only that I've got to wait for it!

• Posted

I was first on the list that day and they had me out of bed early afternoon with the walker:-))))

Before I went for my pre-op I was adamant that I wanted a general but on hearing the pros and cons agreed I'd go for the spinal and they were SO right.  I imagined it would hurt and the numbing injection they do first didn't even hurt (maybe because my back was frozen with that bucket of ice LOL!)  but literally was like a little scratch and I didn't feel the spinal injection at all!

• Posted

I was completely out of it, just went to sleep and woke up and it was all

Done,! Spinal and well sedated. Super stuff! Very happy and peaceful afterwards! I wrote about it for my blog and it was rather funny as I was completely high when writing in the recovery area! Could only just read my writing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.