TKR. I've seen countless expressions of the knee being heavy...etc

Posted , 15 users are following.

It kind of ocurred to me the other day, I've seen lots of comments about the knee being 'heavy' and like concrete, and hard, and lots of other adjectives.

Maybe it's because that's exactly what it is...HEAVY....

Prior to my operation, the sister on the ward explained everything and had an example of the new joint (exactly as would be used to replace my knee)....Which she gave me to have a good look at and sort of 'play' with for a few minutes....I remember thinking at the time..."Jeeees...that's one hell of a lump of metal"...And it was...it was very heavy!

Now I'm no expert on the structure of bones, but I'm pretty sure the bones in our body are fairly light structures, although 'generally' incredibly strong, and it seems to me that the knee replacements are nothing like as light.

I'm wondering if that's why most contributors to this forum refer to their knee as feeling 'heavy'...etc.....Maybe that's because that's exactly what the new knee is...HEAVY!!!!

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pete 

you are so right about the weight of the metal

we also had a joint passed around and both myself and my daughter were surprised at how heavy it was

i suppose we all describe the knee as feeling heavy ...if that was the only issue we would get used to carrying this lump of metal around...it's the pain that's hard to deal with and the sleepless nights.

Jean 

• Posted

hahaha....Yes Jean...I get that as well....Although the sleeping has definitely improved of late....and I'm not taking nearly so many pain killers, just a few paracetamol as and when I feel I need them, which isn't every day.

But going back to the weight.  I'm not sure whether it's just habit or what, but lets say to put a pair of socks on, I find myself lifting my leg (with my hands) onto the bed, rather than just lifting the leg, because it 'seems' overly heavy.  Maybe it's just that I need to build the muscles up more in my thighs, I don't know.

• Posted

I think we don't realise that we've not been using the leg muscles properly for years so they need building up.
  • Posted

Thank god for that. I wondered why I hadn't lost as much weight as I thought!  I am officially heavy boned. 

I'm sure we have to build up our muscles again and my hamstrings have all tightened because I wasn't walking properly before the op so that doesn't help. Must admit I can get it on the bed ok but I can't bend it to paint my toe nails!  😃 

• Posted

Lol my daughter painted my toenails for me

and Oh! Dear ...I've lost quite a bit of weight since the op  and the weight of this joint means I've lost even more than ever ....Where's the Chocolate. Need  it biggrin

• Posted

My sister painted mine but I am still having to wear surgical stockings and they seem to have worn the paint away!  Two more weeks then I am free of the awful things. You enjoy that chocolate Jean...🍫🍫🍫
    • Posted

Oh God...I'd forgotten about those torture stockings....I hated them with a passion.....I was soooooo glad when I didn't have to wear those any more...They were a nightmare to get on and a nightmare to get off....
    • Posted

They certainly are.  I was only given two pairs so have to keep washing them out and they don't stay white for long. I wish they were black at least they would look like thick tights. I have permanent marks at the top of my calves where they have been digging in. (Must be my fat legs!) hope it goes away when I'm not wearing the stockings or that's the end of me wearing dresses and skirts! 👗👠
    • Posted

Oh...Mine were a sort of natty shade of grey!....But the suspenders used to dig in something terrible....(in case you're wondering, I am joking)

I allowed myself a half hour each day without them on....and it was the highlight of my day...it really was.....

• Posted

You little devil 👹 I daren't leave them off as my sister told me about an old lady she knows who kept hers off for a while and her foot started turning black ( she was 86 and must've had bad circulation).. Isn't it funny what little things keep us going....

Ps....were yours white originally but have gone grey with time!!

• Posted

I was lucky, my hospital didn;t even use them I had been dreading them and couldn't believe my luck when they told me they had stopped them.
    • Posted

It was probably a way of saving money! (If it was nhs)  they aren't the sexiest things to wear! 
    • Posted

I was lucky I had 3 pairs ... And I've saved them ...they may make good flight socks....lol
    • Posted

Is that a knee that needs operating on? It doesn't look bad to me but I suppose if you normally have very thin knees - wish mine looked that good..

🌻🌼

• Posted

Hhahaha...Noooo..they were a dark shade of grey to start with...if I remember, I had a choice of colours...I think....Mind you, when I went home, the ones they measured me for turned out to be too tight (as my knee and leg swelled more once I was home)....I went back to the hospital, and the sister took one look at the marks they were leaving at the top of the stocking and immediately took them off and issued me with a bigger size.....They were actually cutting off my circulation!
    • Posted

Mine are a bit like that but just thought it was my fat knees and calves.  Mine aren't cutting off my circulation they have just left marks and my bad leg has a sort of dint where the sock had been.  I'm sure it will go when I get rid of the socks. ☺️
    • Posted

I'd definitely check what size they are....I was told if they're too tight, they can do more harm than good!.....The sister at the hospital whipped mine off as soon as she saw it and immediately fetched a bigger size....and I don't consider myself to have fat legs...although it was swollen at the time.  I know they measure your leg for them in hospital, but that's a measurememnt of your leg, how it was at that point in time, and I found that once I got home, my leg swelled more...so effectively I was wearing the wrong size !....It's worth asking the question
    • Posted

Your right, mine were measured before I went in and my physio keeps saying my leg is still swollen. I'm not due to go back for another three weeks and they'll be off by then. I might even take them off a week early as someone else posted they were never given them as their hospital didn't see the need for them. Why is there no set rule for anything. Is there any wonder people get confused where health care is concerned.  I was just going to buy another pair but I'm making do with the two pairs. 🙀
    • Posted

I just went back to see the sister on the ward and she sorted me out...No appointment was made or neccessary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.