TKR. I've seen countless expressions of the knee being heavy...etc

Posted , 15 users are following.

It kind of ocurred to me the other day, I've seen lots of comments about the knee being 'heavy' and like concrete, and hard, and lots of other adjectives.

Maybe it's because that's exactly what it is...HEAVY....

Prior to my operation, the sister on the ward explained everything and had an example of the new joint (exactly as would be used to replace my knee)....Which she gave me to have a good look at and sort of 'play' with for a few minutes....I remember thinking at the time..."Jeeees...that's one hell of a lump of metal"...And it was...it was very heavy!

Now I'm no expert on the structure of bones, but I'm pretty sure the bones in our body are fairly light structures, although 'generally' incredibly strong, and it seems to me that the knee replacements are nothing like as light.

I'm wondering if that's why most contributors to this forum refer to their knee as feeling 'heavy'...etc.....Maybe that's because that's exactly what the new knee is...HEAVY!!!!

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have no idea what the hell they put in me ,never thought about it , buy i dont see how they can weigh the same as they took out .i thought they only took a small amount of bone away and replaced it with metal and plastic ,i did read that it was between 5 to 6lbs , and i do some times help my leg and pull it ,up , and any weight lost i had is back and im hoping that it will go again now im back at work , thats tough and some times i dont want to eat at all ,buy the smell of bacon and sausage   and egg does smell good , and i cant eat it cause all the kids we cook it for eats it all ,little pigglets lol.
  • Posted

I was told by my surgen that 96% of the knee replacements in the UK are of the same make, he did tell me but I have forgotten.  He said the reason for this is, that this type had proved to be the best and most relable and the least likely to fail ... made sence to me!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.