TKR. I've seen countless expressions of the knee being heavy...etc

Posted , 15 users are following.

It kind of ocurred to me the other day, I've seen lots of comments about the knee being 'heavy' and like concrete, and hard, and lots of other adjectives.

Maybe it's because that's exactly what it is...HEAVY....

Prior to my operation, the sister on the ward explained everything and had an example of the new joint (exactly as would be used to replace my knee)....Which she gave me to have a good look at and sort of 'play' with for a few minutes....I remember thinking at the time..."Jeeees...that's one hell of a lump of metal"...And it was...it was very heavy!

Now I'm no expert on the structure of bones, but I'm pretty sure the bones in our body are fairly light structures, although 'generally' incredibly strong, and it seems to me that the knee replacements are nothing like as light.

I'm wondering if that's why most contributors to this forum refer to their knee as feeling 'heavy'...etc.....Maybe that's because that's exactly what the new knee is...HEAVY!!!!

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

My surgeon recently showed me an example of the 'Vanguard' knee which he had put in me! I commented on the weight and he told me that I would be surprised just how heavy what he had taken out was, and that the two were balanced - so that my 'net' weight would be the same!!!

smile

• Posted

I wasn't aware there were different types.....Do they vary?.....never heard of the term 'vanguard' before. 
    • Posted

I agreed to go on a survey for my surgeon and the new knee was made specifically to fit my knee ...well if this knee is special they can keep the bloomin thing ,... It's causing me untold pain ... 
    • Posted

My original was a Stryker brand and the rocker was rather round. The revision is mor enlongated and better replicates the action of the human knee. Seems to me it actually works better. Also the is a differenc in the stem that goes in the tibia.It is designed to better aloow faster bone growth. With the 1st one I always felt like my foot was flying out instead of going straight. The new one my stride is straight
    • Posted

I've got the Stryker  triathlete knee, which my surgeon said was the best.  It's the oval one and it's got a good range of movement.
    • Posted

I suspect a lot of useage decisions are predicated on the age and overall physical condition of the recipiant. I used to think it was based on which salesman had the biggest expense account and golf club membership but maybe I'm a little cynical in my old age
  • Posted

Hi Peter you make a very good point there. I think perhaps we are so caught up with the pain, not sleeping and excersises that we forget we do have quite a heavy foreign body in place of a knee to contend with. I wonder if I will ever be the same again? I'm not afraid of the new knee giving way. But I do know its a damn site different from the real thing. Take care from tucks 12weeks.
    • Posted

Thank you Tucks.....I have the silly impression I could knock my knee on a cabinet or something and do more damage to the cabinet than my knee....especially with the one side of my knee being numb too...hahaha
  • Posted

Hi Pete

At the knee seminar pre-op, we were told that the replacement would not be heavier than our own knee parts?

They also passed round an example of a New joint at which point the weight question arose.

I wonder if it is to do with the muscles? The heaviness / tightness / Stiff feeling is exactly what I am going to discuss with my consultant next Monday at my 12 week review as despite my bend and walking progressing the feeling in my knee is getting worse and I am finding it difficult to deal with. Maybe it is because I am exercising more; I have my physio class tomorrow but the physio seems unable to explain what is happening and just says it is normal and still very early days.

Tracey 10 + 5 weeks

• Posted

I have to say the physio people although they were very nice to us all (it was group sessions) they didn't seem to 'know' a whole lot.  Sort of general advice....and they seemed very young to me, and perhaps 'in training'...But then again coppers to me look like they're on their lunchbreak from school.....it's an age thing I guess...haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.