TKR IN 5 WEEKS - STERIOD INJECTION GOOD OR BAD?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

I am getting my first TKR in 5 weeks due to arthritis, im 32 and getting married next week and going on honeymoon etc and im wanting to have the best chance possible to last the whole day at wedding and also enjoy my holiday.

being so close to the surgery date, will doctors give me a steriod injection to knee?

any info is great thanks

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have Injection in my left me, at it did help relieve a lot of the pain and swelling but it doesn't last long A few months
  • Posted

Hi bigj,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

My doctor gave me one 2 weeks prior to my TKR.

He said there was not a concern about the risk to my knee since it was being replaced.

It got me through those 2 weeks!

Good luck!

• Posted

thanks very much

thats good news, i have just come off my Etanercept and been tolf to come off my anti-imflamatories 1 week before so was concerned that it has issues with replacement.

the big task i have now is to get my consultamnt to do it!!!!

Big J

• Posted

Some meds and vitamins thin the blood, so to reduce the risk during surgery they have people stop taking them 7-10 days before surgery.

Hopefully you can get your injection!

• Posted

I had an injection of cortisone once. It lasted four days. After that I was back to square one. It seems that they work great or not at all.

I think it is specific to the doctor whether they will do it. If not, don't worry. You will be OK without it.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

• Posted

My doc recommend at least 8 wks max and 6 wks min between steroids and surgery reasons

May cause complications with anesthesia

Lower immune system

High blood pressure

And higher risk of infection

• Posted

Ps:: if you get your steroid you should get it now so as your on

the downside of it even it gives relief for a few days it's still in

your system so you should still be ok, even though he (my doc)

recommended 6wk cutoff my right had been done at 5wks prior

to the tkr surgery because of a trip to Texas but I was still ok for the procedure.

Congradulatios and I hope things go well for you.

Sorry my previous post sounds bad but those are the common

risks and choices we make knowing them.

• Posted

Hi bigj,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

please don't go down this route if you are looking to have a TNR within the next 6 months

here in the UK things may be a little different but my surgeon has refused to operate and have had to delay my TNR for 6 months due to recently due to me having a cortizone injection 2 weeks ago. This is because the cortizone chemical stays in the body for this period and it is unwise and unsafe to operate in this period due to the added risk of infection. May I suggest if you are looking for  quick fix ;  either a Synvisc infection this should ease the pain for 3/4 weeks plus painkiller help mask the pain such as Tramadol 200mg x twice a  day 

I also use a donjoy knee brace this can be worn under trousers and gives massive support above and below the knee joint. If you are not too vain you can always use the preverbial good old walking stick !!??

anway hope all  goes well on the big day

best wishes Jude

• Posted

hi i dont think that you can have injection so near op i hope for your sake im wrong maybe best option is to contact the surgeon or hospital to check with them ,my you are very young to have to go through a TKR i wish you all the best for your wedding and i hope your tkr is successfull
  • Posted

Hi,

I am also in the UK and I was told that I needed to have a three month gap after a steroid injection before I could be considered for a knee replacement. The reason for this I was told by my surgeon is because the injections can increase the risk of infection after knee replacement.

I had my knee replacement nine weeks ago and I am delighted with the results.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding and I hope that you find a successful way of alleviating the pain.

• Posted

Hey big daddy I'm going for my knee replacement on 10/26 buddy and he said go up north for Christmas then after the New Year we'll do the other knee great news let you know how I make out in sunny Florida west coast just north of Tampa 
  • Posted

Congratulations on your up coming wedding.

my surgeons hip knee and shoulder guys wouldn't do a shot under 6 weeks pre op it's about infection risk not steroid risk of hurting the joint.

id hurry up and do it if you are going to get one,  good luck...

• Posted

Go through with the injection, but would say, if you  can, wear a brace as well. If you can get away with it, get one with the metal stays that you can take out (or keep in).  You can take it on your honeymoon just in case you want to play beach volleyball or go exploring

Wishing you a fantastice wedding

• Posted

SUEISOBEL

this meessage is for you

sorry but You should not give people advice when you do not know the consequences of a cortizone injection 

when you do not know shomethong please do not comment as it does not help anyone on this forum as we are a self help group trying to help each other

your not very impressed

Jude

PLEASE THINK BEFORE GIVING ANY FURTHER ADVICE AS  STUPID  & IGNORANT ADVICE THAT YOU HAVE JUST POSTED COULD DO  HARM TO SOMEONE

• Posted

Sweetie, I have been in pain for over 40 years, you name it, I have had it, whether it is a full patellectomy to cortisone to artificial synovial fluid to tendon transfers to TKR.   Been there, done that.  From Tramadol to gapapentine to nerve blocks to morphine, name a brand, been on it. Have even done cold turkey to prove I was in pain. I know this is a help forum and I would like to think I might know more than most.  I am still out there looking for a solution to pain...... Are you?  I would not be so big-headed to comment on something I know nothing about?  Life is about learning with an open mind.  I have one... Do you?
    • Posted

I am still waiting for an apology.  You were so quick to jump in and SHOUT!!!  Not so quick or man enough to take back your insulting words.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.