TKR Incision site looks inflamed

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am three weeks post op.I had my staples out last Monday and the wound looked neat  and had healed well.

This evening,after doing my knee bending and stretching exercises, the  incision site is red and warm.

Oh! Dear! Is something amiss?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi saralice

I too am 3 weeks,2 days post op tkr. What ur describing is very normal. I'm also a nurse experienced in post op wound management. Elevation and the ice machine are your friend. Please don't let that discourage you UNLESS the margins around the wound become tender, red, and swollen. Decreased ROM is also an indicator to call your doctor. As I write this my leg is elevated wrapped in ice machine. You may also notice a scant amount of fluid leakage at the bend of your knee from being torqued on by youth physical therapist. Keep bending keep walking keep up the painful recovery.

Best wishes

Foster

• Posted

If in doubt get straight to surgeon,as soon as any wound looks red and especially warm do not risk it because believe me you do not won't an infection no matter how trivial you think that is good straight to surgeon I would not even bother booking appointment ring them tell them.what's going on and I. Sure if they are any good they will say come straight in ........best of luck

• Posted

I am 22 onths post op and my knee is still warm. However I can do everything I did before my knee problems, caused by trauma, except run. I have an allotment where I can dig, bend, squat. I can walk for 2-3 miles. 

It takes  time, it is painful, you will get depressed with lack of progress. Just keep going.

• Posted

Watch your leg VERY CLOSELY

This could be a major infection settling in

If in doubt, CALL YOUR DOCTOR ASAP

• Posted

Very confused. Just iced again, in bed, hopefully have a decent night. If any worse in the morning I  will go to see a doctor. 
    • Posted

Well

I'm speaking to you as both a patient and 30 yr experienced RN. You should feel better in AM but pay attention to

- decreased ROM

- pain swelling redness on BACK of leg (DVT)

-redness swelling and INCREASED pain AT incision

Orherwise most likely inflammation caused by breaking apart scar tissue and localized increased blood flow (hence warmth and redness) as a reaction.

I had redness and painful swelling below the incision on the shin, called the surgeon who said "not at all uncommon", ice elevation. Sure enough, 2 days later it resolved.

Good luck! Hang in there

• Posted

I am 7 weeks post-opTKR, and my knee is always warm. I was told that was very normal, and I don't have any other symptoms such as DVT. But when in doubt, call your doctor, and remember, ice is our friend??

• Posted

Well like I said if in doubt see the surgeon asap I had same symptoms and ended up in hospital with a pseudomonus infection ended up having 5 operations in 6 weeks was In HDU for 2 weeks whole they discussed removing my leg ,I spent 2 mths in hospital all up and 6 mths recovery from scar tissue etc and this was an arthrospoy.that was 18mths ago I have just recently had a TKR 12 weeks out . I'm not being given alarmist when I say if in doubt get it checked ....anyone saying don't worry that is normal may be correct..that's what I was told until it was to late...just saying

• Posted

Anyone whose leg it is should be careful. However, using logic, science, and medicine trying to keep an eye on it first it the primary step. Had she said it's been going on for days, sure call the doc. Her early AM wake up will tell her lots real problem/ no problem. Perhaps she'll wake I the middle of the night with worse pain.....call the doc or go to the ER. Too many times patients over react to common side effects. Our legs have been ripped apart, bone amputated, rods shoved down the bone lumen and drills and hammering done. The biggest challenge we face is agressively increase the ROM which naturally elicits pain, redness and swelling.

Nothing wrong with conservative treatments first (ice, elevation).

• Posted

Anyone whose leg it is should be careful. However, using logic, science, and medicine trying to keep an eye on it first it the primary step. Had she said it's been going on for days, sure call the doc. Her early AM wake up will tell her lots real problem/ no problem. Perhaps she'll wake I the middle of the night with worse pain.....call the doc or go to the ER. Too many times patients over react to common side effects. Our legs have been ripped apart, bone amputated, rods shoved down the bone lumen and drills and hammering done. The biggest challenge we face is agressively increase the ROM which naturally elicits pain, redness and swelling.

Nothing wrong with conservative treatments first (ice, elevation).

• Posted

Hi Sara

I'm almost 6 weeks and my knee is still warm to the touch - which is normal . I don't think the scar bein red unless your whole knee is red - to be safe I would check with your doc tomorrow . Good luck!

• Posted

Red and warm just part of the bending and excercise. Just dont allow any water or other liquids to get into the incision. Bathe only as instructed by the surgeon. Don't be alarmed if you see an errant stitch as sometimes an internal one will work it's way to the top. Don't use oils or creams until the scabs are all healed and sealed. If you have any green or yellow drainage or start run in a temp get to the ER. at once. That's when the concern should kick in. You may have this warm, red feeling for some time as that's the soft tissue healing. Physical therapy will also create a lot of that as well. Ice, elevate and above all, hydrate. Lots and lots of water.

• Posted

Call you doctor / don't wait / could be nothing but need to find out now / if it is infection the quicker the better

• Posted

Hi Sara lice, I had similar redness at the base of my scar about a week after the staples were removed, I phoned the hospital and Ortho nurse said cone in straight away, she cleaned the area and surprise surprise she tweezed out 3 stubborn stitches which were causing infection, it's not uncommon for this to happen, best wishes, ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.