tkr may not happen

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm due to have a tkr tomorrow but now they have found I have a fractured spine so may not go ahead. At least someone has found out why I have such awful back pain but it;s a bit of a downer when I've psyched myself up for the op.

frown

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's not good news, but if they can sort your back out too you will be much better 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that Carol but as Pam said better to sort out the back then go for the knee, you really don't need the added complication of a bad back post op. Hope things are resolved for you soon and you can get on with your planned procedure. All the best
    • Posted

Well it's taken years for them to find it. I have had so many x rays, even my surgeon in July said it was just wear and tear. It has taken a sharp eyed ward doctor to find it. He was just going over my xrays ready for tomorrow. I'm waiting now for a call back from the hospital to let me know what's going to happen. 
    • Posted

Good luck, Carol. A shock for you but as the others say, better to sort your back out first. Jen x

• Posted

glad they got to the bottom of it. i have spinal stnosis. lost 6" of my height' but my knee will not make any difference to my back, which i totally knew. just 1 more thing to try & get rid of the pain in my knee, plus i had no choice. i had my tkr 11 days ago, so very early days. good luck carol xx
    • Posted

Thanks for that. My children both commented on my height at the weekend. My son now seems to tower above me and my daughter, who was always shorter than me is now two inches taller, so i reckon I have lost 4 inches. I am only 67 but feel  like a little old lady. The annoying thing is that no doctor ever took my back pain seriously.I have relied on, and paid for,osteopaths for years yet they now say it is an old fracture. I have to go into hospital tomorrow and see my surgeon who will make decision then. Even he missed the fracture so I don't have much confidence in him now.

• Posted

Poor you, I think that sometimes back problems are put on the back burner and left. Pain has to come from somewhere so there has to be o point of pain. Lets hope you now get it sorted you certainly don't want the problem of dealing with your knee at the same time. Best of luck and take care
  • Posted

maybe they will sort your back out first before tackling the knee.

Richard

• Posted

hiya richard. my back is beyond repair, can't do nothing at all. been like this for over 16 yrs now. lost 6" of my height, also i have fibromyalgia, because of the strain of my knee  its putting extra pressure on my back. i am in agony with both because of the excercises, i was on 2 sticks before my op, nothing to do with my knee, but for my back. never mind. hope you are well. julie x
  • Posted

in that case if they did the tkr your back would suffer all the more because there would be a strong chance of one leg being longer than the other creating a disruption to your balance and more back problems

r

• Posted

they did my tkr 2 weeks ago. if i had had a choice, i would not have had it done xx
    • Posted

Well it's done and the op has gone well but I am concerned that you are right about the leg length although I am surprised that the operated leg seems to be longer than before. i thought that it would be the other way around. they say that my back is an old break and they'll look at it when the leg has healed. I reached an 85 bend today so may be allowed home tomorrow. The spinal was great. Never knew a thing and would recommend it absolutely. My favourite pain relief is ice. Can't get enough of it. The swelling has gone down a lot but the bruising is becoming more obvious. Just hope that this leg length thing is an illusion and I'm not stuck with more trouble.

• Posted

Sounds good news . The bruising will continue to come out for a while . I am sure the length will be ok . I used a cryo ice cuff it was brilliant , the best pain relief  and I am sure it made be heal quicker . Use as often as you can . Keep up the good work xx
    • Posted

I am just lying here with my cryo cuff and googling to see where I can buy one. It's brilliant and the best medicine out. I had a bad pain night last night but realise it is the same pain as my broken tib and fib years ago so I know it will go.  Physios are on the way so I hope i can make 90 and go home. 

• Posted

You can buy cryo cuff on line , quite pricey with the bottle but wiorth every penny I think .  I am 10 weeks walk up and down stairs normally , not totally pain free as I am waiting to have the other knee done . If I over do it I still use it on both knees , works quicker than pain killers for me . Good luck x
    • Posted

Just had a look and they're over £100 but I'll see. looks like I'm not going today. My consultant wants to see me first. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.