TKR NERVE BLOCKS ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Any one know what nerve block is as I'm due to have TKR on the 24th of this month and still don't know what to do Anaesthetic or nerve block could it be an epidural which is injection in the spine and you stay awake has anyone had this just after a bit of advice please .

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had the epidural, and had no problems.  I, too, had great misgivings and anxiety about it, but they were proven unfounded.

As I understand it, it's preferred over general anesthesia because there is much less risk and it doesn't take nearly as long to recover from. With general, people will sometimes wake up nauseous, and it could take a day or so just to move past that, whereas with an epidural, you can be and actually about in a matter of an hour or so.

Perhaps everyone's procedure is different, but they gave me drugs to calm me down and to block the whole experience from memory (probably not how it works, but that was the effect).  I remember everything up until going into the surgical suite, then nothing until I woke up.  I have no memory whatsoever of the procedure.

So, don't worry about it.  If you're still anxious, talk to your doc.  Or, if you can wait until the day of the surgery, talk to the anesthesiologist, who will visit with you prior to the surgery.  They will explain exacly what they will do and asure you that it will be fine.

• Posted

Yes eileen ,  I had a epidural when i had my t k r , it was no problem what so ever, no side affects at all , in fact it was a nice way 2 go  2 sleep . 

ian 

• Posted

I'm confused don't know what to do now I'll probably change my mind at the last minute lol

• Posted

Tkr/pkr are either SPINAL or general not epidural. The injection is given thru a catheter into the SPACE around your spine. They numb u b4 the needle sticks you and a soft pliable catheter is threaded in for administration of meds. The iv in ur arm gives you meds to put u to sleep "conscious sedation". You breathe on ur own. This type of anesthesia traditionally has less complications. U wake up faster and moving quicker. Its called a nerve block because it blocks a specific area on down from the injection. You feel nothing below the level even if u were awakw BUT the sedative to sleep eliminates that. My friend woke up in her surgery, no panic, said it was" interesting". I never woke w mine.

Hope this helps. Google epidural and spinal and the picture will make sense.

I have tried to link exercise sites and othe great educational stuff but this blog blocked them all sad

• Posted

Thanks for the clarification.

I would suggest that folks ask a lot of questions before you decide.  There is lot of misinformation out there.  I'm a good example of that.

• Posted

Thank you AuntEG:-))))))  I hadn't realised the sedative put you to sleep - they said I could listen to music but maybe 'as I drift off' LOL!

• Posted

So probably like what I had having my 2nd child but no sedation as you had to be aware of everything.
    • Posted

I'm wondering if the sedative is similar to something I had when I had wisdom teeth out many years back.  It was at the dental surgery, and I had an injection in my hand, I think, but I was utterly oblivious for the whole thing although not asleep, and came out laughing and joking LOL!  Until it wore off LOL!

• Posted

The nerve block is placed in your thigh to block pain from your TKR. I had it up until about 4 days after surgery. It helped a lot to getting started with PT. You will love it. About the third day, it started leaking so I pulled it out the next day because the medication was running out and the pain was better. You do have to carry around a small pack that carries the medication. It was kind of a pain.
    • Posted

Anna, thank you too!  I thought the nerve block was in the spinal stuff - had no idea it was something else!  This group is a mine of information!
    • Posted

Told me it was in the spine but I'm going to joint class on the 14th February to give the measurements of my chair bed and toilet to the occupational therapist and to ask as many questions about the surgery and the exercises before and after so I'll keep you posted Chris

• Posted

There is a bulb that slowly releases medication into your knee (end point of the tube/catheter) it is inserted higher up ie. Thigh. This is different than the spinal in your back that numbs you on both legs for the surgery. Our docs here give direct injections into knee instead of bulb. It wears off 12-24hrs. They call it the "honeymoon phase" since u feel no pain. The med is a form of lidocaine that numbs you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.