TKR NERVE BLOCKS ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Any one know what nerve block is as I'm due to have TKR on the 24th of this month and still don't know what to do Anaesthetic or nerve block could it be an epidural which is injection in the spine and you stay awake has anyone had this just after a bit of advice please .

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Eileen,  I don't think you can have an epidural because it doesn't go down far enough.  I recommend nerve block because it will still be numb after you get out of surgery and the pain won't be as bad.  I was leary getting it because when I was 25 I had a terrific headache but I was told it is not as likely when you are older (I am 65).

it was fine this time no headache.  Hope this helps

good luck on your surgery 

robin

• Posted

Thanks Robin I'm 61 but they did say epidural plus medication and earphones to listen to music so you don't hear anything lol

• Posted

I had the both. The nerve block is to block the main nerve in the leg. The doctor it around the growing area. They also put u to sleep. The block helps big time after the surgery. Helps with the pain of the incision and the muscles. It's worth it

• Posted

Still don't know what to have I'm not bothered about the pain afterwards as I'm in so much pain now but the thought of waking up during surgery is worrying me if you read further down it actually happened to someone. Thanks kevin

• Posted

I had a block done and I was still put asleep.I did however wake up and I could hear the drills. I had no pain though and they quickly put me back out. The reason for the block was because I still had a cough going on from a cold that was almost over. They tod me the block wouldn't irrate my lungs as much.

• Posted

OMG I would be terrified if I woke up in the middle of surgery
    • Posted

Spinal/epidural may be chosen for patients who have a medical history that makes general anesthesia riskier. For instance, a spinal anesthetic for a knee arthroscopy may be a better choice in an asthmatic patient to avoid triggering asthma during the administration of a general anesthetic.? You can also be sedated , so don't worry you wont feel anything . You recover much quicker , I was eating a meal within a few hours .

• Posted

That sounds just like my dental appointment for wisdom teeth out!  Oh I hope it's like that - I came out SO happy LOL!

• Posted

I had one knee done with a general and the other with an epidural . The recovery with the epidural was much better than with the general . I had headphones listening to music . Definitly go for the epidural .
    • Posted

Just worried that the epidural won't work a 3rd time as I've had 2 before when having my children

• Posted

Eileen, from what I understand, the spinal goes into a different place and is a whole different thing from an epidural that you have when you have children.  They tell you on the information that there is a slight chance it won't work, so that's why they need the option of a general anaesthetic, so it's the reason you can't eat or drink before the op, but apparently it's pretty rare that it doesn't work and they make sure it is working before they start operating:-)  It just seems to have so many less side effects than the general and that's why they prefer it.  They really want to get you up and about and OUT as soon as possible:-)))))

• Posted

Hi Chris just had my surgery cancelled till 2nd March so looks like your before me now so good luck
    • Posted

Oh so sorry to hear that Eileen.  It must be frustrating when you get everything planned.  So you're now being 'done' the day after me!  We'll both be back on the group around the same time then and can compare notes:-))))  That's assuming mine isn't delayed too!  I've been counting the days off for so long now, it feels.

• Posted

Me to Chris been waiting since the middle of August they rang today said they've got a couple of emergencies coming in so hey ho it's only 9 days later though so once again good luck chris

• Posted

Oh my goodness Eileen.  I do appreciate how lucky I've been.  It was only December when I went to the GP and said 'I give in - please refer me - this will be the best Christmas present I can get'.  Yes, in the greater scheme of things, nine days isn't a lot when this is going to revolutionise your life.  Lots of luck to you too, thanks Eileen:-))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.