TKR NERVE BLOCKS ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Any one know what nerve block is as I'm due to have TKR on the 24th of this month and still don't know what to do Anaesthetic or nerve block could it be an epidural which is injection in the spine and you stay awake has anyone had this just after a bit of advice please .

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Eileen I had LTKR Last April. I had a nerve block and sedation. It was just fine , much better than GA!

The recovery from nerve block is so much better too. You go asleep and feel nothing. Don't worry m honestly and good luck with your surgery. Most important to build up the quads beforehand as they will make your post op exercises much easier to do, ?

• Posted

All are injections into your body to make your leg have no feeling for some time, so don't be concerned.

Be prepared at home to be able to full time ice your knee, I would recommend looking at Aircast Cuff. ( ice bucket with knee wrap)

Good healing

• Posted

Clive, do you use this Aircast Cuff from day 1?  Do you use it OVER the compression stocking they tell you to wear?  How do you know what size to order because of swelling?  I've got one sitting in a basket ready to order but don't really know WHEN to order it.

• Posted

Hi Chris

I was given it in hospital straight away when back in my room after the operation. I bought the ice bucket , I could keep the knee wrap I used at the hospital.

Yes I used it at first over the compression stockings. I was given codine but it made me sick so I only used aleve a American bought pain relief pill.

I stopped using the stocking after about 10 days , too much pain and discomfort. The adjustment for the knee wrap was Velcro on the one I have so a large room for adjustment . Order it so you have it, buy some ice pads that fit I had 4, 2 in the bucket two in the freezer. I fill it up around the pads with ice, it's good for 8 hours . It's your best friend for a few weeks.

Good healing

• Posted

Clive - THANK YOU!  That's brilliant to know how to go about it:-)))) Thank you so much!

• Posted

Hi Eileen!

I had general anesthesia during surgery AND a nerve block on my surgical leg placed before I was wheeled into my surgery.

I had a spinal with my second son (C-section). You are awake during surgery which was GREAT when you are welcoming a new baby, but pretty scary I would think during knee replacement surgery. Your call, though! Four days after my spinal I had "spinal headache" which made me very nauseated and felt like my head would pop off any minute. Wouldn't like to repeat THAT anytime soon!😱😵😬

Haven't ever had an epidural. I understand that medication is given through a tube as long as needed during surgery.

A nerve block feeds medication to you continuously through your IV as well. I highly recommend the nerve block. I had virtually no pain the first 24 hours that it was in!

As far as pain goes I had SO MUCH pain PRIOR to surgery that my surgery was MUCH LESS pain and discomfort in comparison. I am Not kidding! Sure there is the swelling and a very heavy feeling, but pain for me was minimal. I was up walking the next morning.

I repeated my general anesthesia/ nerve block combo three and a half months later with my second TKR. My second knee was my worst knee, and I EXPECTED complications, but it actually went even smoother than my first surgery!

Wishing you much success and a speedy recovery! My two TKRs were two of the best things I have done for myself!

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl I will seriously take everything on board that people are saying on here
    • Posted

Good! The more information you have, the better the decision you can make.

Sending prayers to you as you make the best choices...for YOU!😊

• Posted

Eileen I had mine done with spinal block. It worked very quickly. I didn't have any sedative as I'm not squeamish so was awake throughout the op. I was well looked after and felt fine. Pain relief is good as it lasts for some time after. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Eileen

An epidural is different from spinal block, epidural is given TK women in childbirth. What you would have would be a spinal block, it is a small injection in the spine. It's quite painless but you do have to be able to sit on the edge of the operating table with a pillow on your lap which you lean on whilst the anaesthetist injects. It works amazingly quickly, starting with a warm feeling down your leg. It allows a quick start to the procedure as you are able to tell the anaesthetist how you are feeling & no feeling in leg.

You may have sedation as well, you will be asked. I did & I had my iPod to listen to, didn't want to hear too much!! But honestly, I fell asleep, dozed off! Awoke, feeling great, just as the op was winding down.

I would recommend spinal block as you are instantly awake after op & can eat & drink once in Recovery. You do not feel woozy, groggy or tired after, unlike general anaesthetic.

They had also put some local anaesthetic in the knee just before I left theatre, so I had no pain whatsoever.

You must decide on what is best for you. Read all the replies, whether local or general used & make up your mind as to what you are comfortable with. But be aware also you MAY NOT be given gene choice. I wasn't, I was told I was having spinal block as my treatment centre uses the Enhanced Recovery Programme, therefore the ops are done under local (spinal).

Whatever you have I'm sure it'll all go well & you will then be out of, arthritis, pain. I found the pain of th op nowhere near as bad as the arthritis pain I'd had in the knee before the op.

I hope you've been given lots of food for thought, but don't stress! Just focus on being able to walk again, pain free.

Hope to hear from you soon

Marilyn

XX

Ps: Do not stress & worry about all this, ho with the flow.

• Posted

Marilyn, that sounds like I was told.  IF I'd been really pushy I could have gone with a general, but the spinal block was definitely advised because they want to get you up and about and feeling better faster on the Enhanced Recovery Programme.  I was on that when I had an op for cancer and was out the next day, which was brilliant.  So if it means a day less in hospital, it sounds good to me:-))))    But I SO agree - you have to go for what feels right for you!  I think going forward with a positive attitude helps hugely!  I just SO wish I could even imagine walking without pain LOL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.