TKR post surgery Day 3

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey my fellow new knee family. Its day 3 post-op surgery. Had first PT session today, traded pain for gain. A few things that are working for me are: using Tylenol 650mg rather than opioid meds for pain. My believe is opioid meds while briefly easing pain, spread poison though out the body. Check the multitude of opioid side effects. I rather deal with higher pain for a short period, rather than long term issues from opioids. Eating extra fruits and vegetables along with drinking lots of water and a daily protein shake. Anyway, I am proceeding on my journey to pain free living. Bests regards and the Lord's blessings to my family. RJ

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

good for you x im 13 days post op left knee replacement x tomorrow they will remove my staples ouch x maybe it wont feel as tight x hope your ok x keep it up

• Posted

i hope your staple removal goes well. i had all 45 removed on Friday- glad that part is over.

• Posted

hi x was ok today x now i cant wait to soak in a hot bath x staples came out ok x my scar very neat too but last year i already had this scar and he opened the same one again but went a little bit further

• Posted

i am sitting here sobbing. I am 8 days post-op and doing spectacular until today. MY ROM is 115 degrees which is amazing as my first TKR - it took me 5 weeks to get to this. I agree with water and fruit. Eat good things -be hood to yourself. I am already using a cane only and doing well sleeping. Everything was good until today when i believe my incision meds wore off. Doc told me I may get relief for a week. Incision burns (its healing) and my leg is badly bruised - my knee feels like it was hit with an ax! This too will pass! It's very early for you-is this your first? BEST OF LUCK!

• Posted

Karen14697,

Thanks for responding. This is my second TKR , having survived a previous TKR in 2016. The adventure is never the same as I am finding . The prior TKR was exceptionally easy and fairly painless, while this current replacement is very cranky even-though the surgery was performed by the same surgeon. The anesthesia administered as well as the pain meds received this surgery made me very sick. Although this replacement seems far more painful than the first, maybe because I am three years older, I am determined not to use any more sickening opioids. Since there is no future or comfort in comparing past experiences, I am determined, as you are, to do the rehab necessary to achieve a successful outcome. At 70 yo, I am looking forward to enjoying my seventies pain and care free. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Regards, RJ, Florida.

• Posted

i am down to one pain med and a tylenol every 6 hrs I'm pushing thru this pain determined to get my life back. Thank goodness my first was difficult and this ones easier! Keep in touch I'll be 70 in November and am happy to get my replacement part!!! ONWARD!!!!

• Posted

Now I am scared! I am scheduled June 10th for my left knee replacement. My right knee was done 4 years ago. I remember it being especially painful but apparently I did really well at recovery vs what some people experience. I have heard the second TKR is better, but I've also heard it worse. I have toe problems and am still recovering from ankle reconstruction so going into this TKR if worrisome, especially since I am 4 years older. Wish me luck!

• Posted

i wish you every luck. I cant talk from experience as im only on my first TkR but i have been told by others that it is so worth it that they are happy to go fir the second one.

At the moment ( 15 days post op) I have good days ( yesterday was great) not so good days and really bad ones! BUT I feel like i am making some progress.

Very best wishes

• Posted

You'll do terrific. YOU will feel sic relief when it is behind you! DAY 10 and i took full shower all by myself pain tolerable today but dealing with this sciatica is relentless. ugh!!

• Posted

Yorky, nothing to fear just concentrate on a pain free future. I am now day 5 post op, and the pain has lessen significantly. I think the key is to perform the PT exercises at home, as instructed, use plenty of ice, and, most importantly Have a positive/can-do attitude. Have some fun with your down time, reconnect with friends, keep commenting on this forum, on-line games, just stay busy and your recovery will be a complete success. Best wishes, RJ, Florida

• Posted

Thank you so much! Extending my hopes that you continue to make progress with less bad.

• Posted

Oh, I so hope you are right. The closer it gets the more anxious I get. The full shower must feel so great. Continue to do well!

• Posted

Thank you. You are so right. I remember my first TKR. The inability to sleep at times took me to online games which was great in taking my mind off the knee. Yes, the at home exercises are important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.