Tkr scared

Posted , 19 users are following.

Going under the knife Tkr right knee will be by myself at home will I be ok

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shelley in my opinion no you will not be ok on your own after having a TKR. How are you going to carry anything like a cup of tea, cook meals etc. I needed someone to give me hand just to get in bed and get on and off the sofa. I think you will really struggle to be honest 😢 Especially during the early stages of recovery x

• Posted

Sorry on say Shelly I have to agree with snoozy. It will be awfully difficult on your own. Do you have any friends or family who can pop in to help especially with food preparation etc. You do need to rest for so long each day that you just won't be able to stand and do things. 

I don't know when you are having it done but if you have the time you need a freezer full of ready made meals and your house as ready as it can be. All this for at the very least two weeks.

• Posted

You will need someone to help you. Are there any community organizations that can provide help? A friend who can call you daily to make sure you're ok? I was fortunate to have my sister come but before surgery I did the following: Freeze meals to reheat easily. I used a toaster oven. Before surgery, from a local thrift store I bought a walker with a seat to carry things, telephone always nearby, phone list of important numbers, (pain meds make it hard to concentrate) keep things you will need within easy reach, dishware, pots, clothes. Set things up for your convenience. A "grab it" tool to pick things up. Read Chico Marx's posts for valuable information. 

• Posted

I agree with Snoozy especially the first week,  getting fluids, food, keeping your knee iced,  elevated and meds.  Take this time to have the things you use a lot handy  scissors,  meds, grabber, books, pens, paper, chargers ect.  Just pay attention to what you jump up for now and move it closer.  Dressings and cares in a bucket, exercise equipment close.  This recovery is extensive, I have had a few surgeries and thought "oh I heal fast" but knee surgery takes time to heal.  I feel as if i was given a huge gift and after surgery it was my job to exercise and keep track of medication.  I wrote times down i took pain meds.  Best wishes in much less pain here in Iowa.  Smiles Deb

• Posted

Defiantly NOT. I have had both legs TKR 11 month and weeks You should have help in the house for at least 2 weeks. Just to help dressing getting into bed etc. My Hubbys doing all the housework can't hoover yet or stand in one place for long. So organise help x

• Posted

If you have no one at home, the Dr should admit you to sunbacute rehab center for at least the first week! That’s what my Dr does for his patients who have no one to help them! 

You will need someone to help you at least for the first week! And home physical therapy, until your able drive to PT or have a ride there! 

• Posted

The rehab center here is terrible and I have a dog have to be at home for her
    • Posted

I have three dogs, so understand what you mean, they are like my children. You will need help at least for two weeks, especially to take care of your dog and you as you will be tired and recovering from major surgery. A friend who had TKR recommended a home PT which has been great. But you can also do exercises on your own following the exercise sheets the hospital gives, research on the Internet, get a CPM machine prescribed by your doctor, heel slides, etc. Let your doctor know you have no one to help you, they may be able to get home health to stop in at least. 

• Posted

I've had many health issues that I've coped with for many years, but I couldn't have gone through this TKR recovery by myself.  I'm three months post op and my husband is still helping me.  Please find someone to help you or go to rehab.  

• Posted

Hi, sorry to disagree but I was home alone after my left tkr. I found I preferred it as I could do everything at my own pace. I slept a lot first few days and had easy to prepare meals. I was more than able to wash and dress myself in the three days I was in hospital so doing the same at home wasn’t a problem. Soon got into a routine and as a lot of time is spent icing and elevating then the rest fits around it along with a nap as and when required. It all depends on how confident you feel but I guess if you live on your own already you will be fine. Good luck 
    • Posted

Plus I can get my Daughter after work if I need her
    • Posted

I do agree with Loulou.  It is possible and for some better.  You can do everything at your own pace.  Just get everything ready beforehand and let’s face it you can live on eggs, bread, beans and fruit etc if necessary.  Get ready made meals delivered etc.  You can sleep on your sofa whenever you want.

plus I am sure your daughter will pop in to check you’re ok.

good luck

liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.