Tkr scared

Posted , 19 users are following.

Going under the knife Tkr right knee will be by myself at home will I be ok

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Shelly. Be organised prior. It's possible to be on one's own. Not optimum, in case of emergency, but it is possible. I had two done at once and coped with virtually no assistance. My sister had to work and I coped with everything. My friends called in a few times a week. Bugger the housework! Just have soups and easy nutritious food in the freezer. If you are used to coping alone, you'll cope! xx

• Posted

Hi, I had two tkr's and I was by myself, except someone was at my home when I arrived from hospital to unpack me. I bought small fridge, small freezer which I placed upstairs. Arranged shopping to be delivered. Had kettle in the room ,, carried water from the bathroom in closed bottle in the shopping bag with long handles.Slepped a lot, had to manage somehow. Good luck, the more you have to do for yourself, the sooner you recover. Mind you, arranged for private physio coming to the house. Lots of love, Grace

• Posted

I was given a walker.  I too have a dog, plus two cats.  I could have gone home to them, but stayed at a friend's house for a week and had another friend stay with my animals.  I had frozen food as recommended by others and stayed in a room that had phone, TV, microwave, toaster oven, pee pot and a bag to carry things with me.  I eventually used my cane, having used it before the operation.  Weeks three, four, and five, a PT nurse visited for half an hour twice each week.  My main concern was constipation caused from pain meds.  Make sure you take meds for that.  I am 79 and on Medicare in the US.

• Posted

Sorry to say Shelly , you will need someone there for the first week - if no one can spend the night at a minimum you will need a friend to check on you am, afternoon and pm... my surgeon made me prove I had someone at home and if I didnt , they said I would go to a rehab facility for 3- 5 days, so my friend stayed with me ( she went to work but spent the night )
  • Posted

I had my husband home from Friday Saturday and Sunday and then he returned to work I was okay I knew I could walk with the Walker but you know what I stayed in my recliner most of the day and yes it was okay without him
  • Posted

Most important is keeping up with the exercise. If you aren't consistent with that. Your muscles will atrophy and you'll never get better. I'm at 3 m

• Posted

3 months and still working hard at PT. I ride a stationary bike to help with the bend and use weights to help straighten. It hurts bit I've got my straight at 5 and bend at 135, extraordinary. Work hard. It's worth it.

• Posted

I would ensure I had someone for a week. In case of emergency. Overnight too. And some of the day...organise a rota of friends and family.
  • Posted

No, you need someone to be with you for at least the first month or more. You will not be steady and could fall easily. You will not be able to cook for yourself etc.
  • Posted

I think it's a tough question. Ive read other replies on how some people have managed on their own, hat off to them but we are all different. So you get yourself all organised by getting everything in place but what do you do if you can't manage. You definitely need a plan B. I wasn't allowed to be discharged from hospital unless there was someone there to take care of me. Things can go wrong so make sure there is someone at the other end of the phone if you do need assistance. You say you've got dogs they still need looking after and if you are anything like I was I didn't have the energy to walk to the garden gate and back and I would class myself as being pretty fit. Saying that I do have a dog and he was the reason I wanted to get back home, I really missed him, shame you can't take them to hospital with you 🐶😋

• Posted

The Doctor said I will be fine on my own and,a Nurse will be stopping by everyday I don't know if it's my age or what but he says have to keep moving but I would be ok by myself

• Posted

Everyone is different Shelly.  Definitely preferable to have someone with you for at least the first week, but for a lot of people that is just not possible and you can survive on your own, AS LONG AS YOU ARE WELL PREPARED BEFOREHAND.  I think it is a good point about your dog.  How will you manage that? 

I came out out of hospital with just the elbow crutches and managed pretty good getting up and downstairs, just took my time.  I could make a cup of tea, make toast and pop something in the microwave, but that was it.  Appetite goes as you will be in pain, won’t be able to sleep during the night etc.  That’s not everyone, but a lot of us.  Coping for yourself is doable, looking after your dog might be hard.

You said you had a daughter.  Could she stay with you even for the first few nights.  Having someone to talk to is important.

you will be ok, but it will be difficult.  This will be your lifeline, I guarantee it.

let us know how you go and you said you have a nurse coming in every day.

liz

• Posted

Thanks so much everyone I go in the Hospital thurs will let you know how it goes
    • Posted

I am 57 from the us

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.