TKR: the key is, don't despair

Posted , 11 users are following.

I just felt I had to post today to offer some reassurance to anyone going through a knee replacement or if you have recently had this procedure done.

First off, I am a fairly fit 60 year old woman who had valgus knee which very quickly became an issue, painful and frequently 'giving way' when out walking. I was told by my Consultant that I really would need a new knee; on hearing this I almost passed out as I had no idea my knee was in such a state. Years of running; hill walking; gym etc. had clearly taken their toll. Anyway, with no other option I decided to go for it, albeit with great trepidation.

Let me be clear, I had no idea how brutal this operation would be, it is very painful, not least in my case as I could not tolerate any painkillers and had to get through this on paracetamol only. I honestly thought I was going to die.

First few weeks I could barely bend or straighten my knee. My knee really felt stuck for weeks and I was getting really down, I never get down like that. I have worked my very hardest at exercising, staying positive (most of the time) and having the odd glass of wine when I needed a cheer up. The information on here from people like Chico Marx has been invaluable.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I had many issues including low blood pressure; vomiting; being mildly depressed; intolerance to painkillers; night sweats; extremely dry mouth etc. I could go on but I'll stop there. Four months on and I am now seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Keep exercising although you won't feel like it, stay positive and it will start to get better, it just takes time. Good luck to all you folks out there going through this, it's horrible but you will get there and thanks to all the posters on here for the support, you have helped get me through this.

7 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is so good to hear positivity from one who has been through so much.

You are absolutely right, TKR is tough, it is brutal & the recovery is the same! But, the rewards at the end are also great! At 18 & 4 months  (right then left knee) I can honestly say it's the best decision I made! I no longer have the awful grinding arthritis pain. I can get off the sofa with ease, getting up stairs is quicker than had been for who knows how many years! Getting down is slower, but getting there! Chronic pain wears you down, it erodes your life.

So to all suffering chronic knee pain, who have been told TKR is the only way forward, I say go for it!

I wish you well for the remainder of your recovery.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hear hear Marilyn, we're all on this journey together. It is tough but as you say, rewards are great. Very best wishes for your continued recovery although it sounds as if you're doing very well. Take care. xx

• Posted

I love your attitude. Has made me feel so hopeful. What an amazing group of people. Thank you. I am really tearful today and very low. I made a big mistake of falling asleep for three hours! It doesn't do me good. But these post really help. X

• Posted

We all get down but just keep telling yourself it's going to be okay in the end and it will be. If all else fails, do what I did, eat chocolate or drink wine or do both 😂 Stay positive. xx

• Posted

Great thread, only 3 weeks down the line and can get a lovely straight leg, but bending and pain a nightmare. Reading others who are much farther down the line and still having problems bending is so reassuring knowing I may not be too far behind. You sometimes think that when seeing the Physio, they may not be pleased and think you have not exercised as you cannot bend. Walking for me is good, and down to one stick.

David

• Posted

You're doing better than I was at 3 weeks which shows why we shouldn't compare ourselves against others. I didn't mention ROM in my post because too many get hung up on numbers. I just kept doing as I was told and if there were issues physio soon put me right. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.