TKR: the key is, don't despair

Posted , 11 users are following.

I just felt I had to post today to offer some reassurance to anyone going through a knee replacement or if you have recently had this procedure done.

First off, I am a fairly fit 60 year old woman who had valgus knee which very quickly became an issue, painful and frequently 'giving way' when out walking. I was told by my Consultant that I really would need a new knee; on hearing this I almost passed out as I had no idea my knee was in such a state. Years of running; hill walking; gym etc. had clearly taken their toll. Anyway, with no other option I decided to go for it, albeit with great trepidation.

Let me be clear, I had no idea how brutal this operation would be, it is very painful, not least in my case as I could not tolerate any painkillers and had to get through this on paracetamol only. I honestly thought I was going to die.

First few weeks I could barely bend or straighten my knee. My knee really felt stuck for weeks and I was getting really down, I never get down like that. I have worked my very hardest at exercising, staying positive (most of the time) and having the odd glass of wine when I needed a cheer up. The information on here from people like Chico Marx has been invaluable.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I had many issues including low blood pressure; vomiting; being mildly depressed; intolerance to painkillers; night sweats; extremely dry mouth etc. I could go on but I'll stop there. Four months on and I am now seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Keep exercising although you won't feel like it, stay positive and it will start to get better, it just takes time. Good luck to all you folks out there going through this, it's horrible but you will get there and thanks to all the posters on here for the support, you have helped get me through this.

7 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Thank you so much, you have summed up how I feel. I have to say how this forum has really helped and me feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.It is a struggle but I am going to battle on..exercise and occasional treats.

• Posted

Keep going, it's all going be worth it in the end. Sending very best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I am due for TKR in the next week or so so have been reading all the posts?advice on this site and found them all to be really helpful.

• Posted

It's brutal and you'll think you've made a mistake having it done to begin with but it does get better. Rest and do as much as you feel like in the early days, don't rush. Stay hydrated, take help from family and friends and binge watch all those box sets you've been meaning to watch. Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Hello

Even though it has been tough I can see really see how it's going to benefit me. So good luck and is it worth it Get lots of rest beforehand and eat it helps to eat food containing zinc. Like pumpkin seeds. 

• Posted

Thank you Polly I am in week 9 and just starting to see a glimmer of light.Knee is good but Muscles due to realignment were and still are in spots tight as a guitar string.Thank you for sharing
  • Posted

It is amazing the support network, It just helps to know that you are not alone and mostly the outcome is positive, I will keep going and thank you.

• Posted

That's a great post and it is always good when folk post their reflections looking back....it helps many especially in those early days and weeks!

• Posted

Thank you Jenny. Good chat with physio today who was really pleased with the way I've improved in the last few weeks so just wanted to reassure others that it does get better.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the encouragement I had a TKR 9 weeks ago and I also have gone through a lot of things that you had to go through after surgery so it's nice to hear that there's light at the end of the tunnel thanks so much for your encouragement I will try to stay positive

• Posted

Thanks for your encouragement I had a tkr 9 weeks ago and have also gone through a lot of the same things you have been going through after surgery I do have my good days and bad days so it's good to hear that there's light at the end of the tunnel thanks again for your encouragement

• Posted

Some reading...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-post-operative-depression-604195

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-strong-594566

For the fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.