TKR think, think again.

Posted , 20 users are following.

research, read all the comments on patient, not just one persons notes and results..

i can only tell you I have deeply regretted this operation.

its changed my life for the worse.

i would rather deal with one knee pain, bad as it was,then feel like a invalid, and have pain all very my body.

so much regret, and I did research, but not on this page

my big mistake

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

First of all, everyone should adopt the mantra, "It takes a year to recover. It takes a year to recover...". You just can't panic if it's only been 3 months and you're frustrated because you can't run a mile yet. Seriously, there is so much good information from personal experiences to learn from. Yes, there are some awful experiences as well, but by and large people get frustrated too soon. It's a major deal that is to be treated with respect!

Although the hospital where I had my surgery had an orientation for TKR patients, I talked to a guy who had it a year ago, and I watched a YiuTube of the operation the night before (BAD mistake!), I still was not prepared. I'm not sure what better way to prepare yourself than to browse through this section of the web site. Such good info from really wonderful people.

Oh, and finally, DO NOT expect your surgeon to provide any kind of patient care. They are technicians, not caregivers. You need to fight for what you want/need (e.g., painkillers) because they do not empathize or sympathize. They only care about whether the hardware is functioning as it should be.

Much love to everyone!

• Posted

Yes kgunch, I so agree, as far as I'm concerned your pretty much on point.  Unfortunately, there is no way to explain the aftermath of this type of surgery. Some r fortunate and come out of it easily, however there are many who do not and takes a lot more time and hard work to recover.  I'm the latter, thank goodness for this website and all the wonderful people who are willing to share their experiences and support. Best of good healing to all, k. P. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.