TKR TODAY

Posted , 20 users are following.

Had my TKR today with spinal injection and was surprised how well it went no pain for about 2 hours afterwards. But now the pain is unbearable I've taken all the Meds offered even morphine and just not taking the edge of just wish I could sleep

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Extremely early days. Have you spoken to the nurses to see if they can give you something else to ease you thru the night. It is difficult to sleep at first. But trust me it will get better. Good luck
  • Posted

I really feel for you eileen , im 4 weeks post op now but can remember the excruciating pain like it was this afternoon .

Hope you manage to sleep , have you tried asking for a sleeping pill as a one off ??

• Posted

Hi Eileen

Welcome to this (not) very exclusive club!

Well done on getting through the operation.

But so sorry you are in such pain!

Have you spoken to the nursing staff to see if there is anything they can give you for the pain & or to help you sleep?

I hope they can do something for you.

One of my coping strategies was to listen to music on my iPod, or just read. I read so many books whilst I recovered!!

Good luck for everything to come. You're gonna need it.

Do everything you're supposed to, but try oh try to keep your sense of humour, because you're gonna need that too.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

My 2nd night in hospital and the pain has rearly got much easier even managed a couple hours sleep I'll get there feeling optimistic now x

• Posted

So glad it's a bit easier now Eileen. Just take all the help you can get, get pain relief regularly & try to relax. Tension doesn't help at all. Take the pain meds regularly, not just when you feel you need it!

They hooked me up to a morphine infusion pump before I came out of theatre, I really wish they hadn't! Didn't get on with it at all!!

So I ended up on Oromorph, Paracetamol & Gabapentin & had minimal pain. On discharge I went back on Co-Codamol 30/500 & Naproxen. Not had really bad pain, the worst was trying to get comfortable in bed to sleep. Which is common I'm sorry to say.

Once you get the clips out & your incision scar is healing, don't forget to massage either BioOil, E45 or Nivea Creme into the scar to keep it nice & flat & stop scar tissue from building up underneath the scar.

I hope you have a good day today, you'll be out soon. As much as I loved the nurses & Physio, I couldn't wait to get home!

Keep in touch

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Did they give you an ice machine? I never had that much pain because my knee was attached to the machine 24 /7. I know it helped me a lot for my first 2 weeks. In regards to sleeping , everybody in this group had the same issue for the first 4 weeks i guees.
  • Posted

Oh boyI know what you're going through! But, I must say the nurses where I went were always asking me how the pain was and they would change things up to help me.

• Posted

the first night is terrible isn't it!  Have you got the morphine pump?  Complain, complain and then complain some more. . or they will think you are not really in pain.  . . .Eventually it will get better!

• Posted

Wait...  You had the op TODAY and you're writing coherent sentences?  Geez...I was unconscious and/or delirious for days...weeks...

No one told you that this would happen?  That this was absolutely normal?  Of course not!  The docs don't tell you anything!  Welcome to the club "Kneebie"...

If you haven't read it before or just forgot, read it again...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

I came home day 2 in the state you're in now and my wife IMMEDIATELY shipped me off to a rehab joint because she couldn't take care of me.  Sooo common.

"I should have taken the blue pill..." - Cypher, The Matrix

• Posted

So glad u made it thru the surgery! Kudos!

Now the work begins as u well know. 24hr ice was what helped me along with the oral pain meds. But it was ice n elevation for the gosh awful swelling.

We're cheering you one. Cheers to you first cup of proper tea!

smile

• Posted

Hi Eileen!

Glad your surgery is over! Ask your nurse for Toradol by IV. I found it to be very effective in those first couple of days.

Did you have a nerve block?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.