TKR. Want my old life back

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm 13 weeks post op after TKR. I'm so fed up and deflated. I seem to be stuck at 90 degrees. I just can't do the things I did prior to operation. Everything is still such an effort. I'm back to work full time and just feel exhausted. I don't feel like me anymore. I have less pain knee pain then I did prior the operation but lots of muscle and soft tissue pain which is intense. 

Im at gym 5 times per week to try to get strength back in gluteus and quads 

I know there's no magic answer. I just wanted to rant and ask if anyone else has felt like this. 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't despair -you are still really early post op yet. You have just had major surgery and not only does your knee, muscles and tendons have to recover -so does the rest of you. Keep going to the gym and it will improve. Try doing some walking squats -1 leg in front if the other. This was an exercise given to me by my physio and it really helped with the bending. But most importantly listen to your body!!

• Posted

Morning,  Yes I have felt the same way, I want my old life back.  I am 9 months from TKR.  Now at times I laugh cause I have forgotten that I was recovering!!    My pain is much less, my gate has more of a glide to it. finally.  Wishing you the best as were have to accept our new knees and don't forget the small changes.  The changes add up.  I still ice.  Rub the area to break down that scar tissue, it will come around and if you have problem seek help from your dr.   Smiles from Iowa!

• Posted

I'm 4 weeks post op and I'm stuck at 60, I've tried massaging my thigh back of my knee but nothing is shifting it. My PT is quiet brutal but it's so stiff .

• Posted

hi Natalie, it's such a tough journey. I was stuck in 50's for weeks. Hope you continue to make good progress. 

• Posted

Hi Victoria

Did you have manipulation? Or did you get through it on your own, it certainly is tough.. we can all do it 😁

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

I managed on my own. It's been hard. They have threatened me with MUA several times but I have tried to remain firm. 

• Posted

I'm at 14 weeks; had a manipulation at 8 weeks.  It has been very slow with a swollen knee and difficulty with the flex, but I work at it constantly....still swollen, but flex is at 115 degrees and improving.  Slow process.  My other knee...6 years ago...went smoothly...about 8 weeks and I was pretty much back in action,

• Posted

Hi ken, it's such a tough journey. As you have found out, no two knees are the same. Even if they are both yours! I think I might heading for MUA. Hope you continue to make steady progress. 

• Posted

5 days a week isn't giving the body a chance to rest. Either don't do the full routine every day or better yet, only go every other day and rest, really rest on their days. The body has to have time to heal and giving it an everyday beating Doesn't allow the proper mix. Increase you hydration. Read Chico Marx's writings and ramblings. Great stuff. Personally, I've been through 5 complete rehabs on my left leg and could never have handed the routine you are doing

• Posted

Hi, I'm only doing the exercises recommended by PT who has advised being in gym four to five times per week. She's adamant that only this will help. I've had so many operations on this leg that I need to listen. Thank you for your advice 

• Posted

I am 5 months post TKR and have only got a bend of 90ish. I go to the gym 4 times a week as I was desperate to get the bend but I’ve been stuck for months.  I’m 50 and due to this they have decided to put me forward for an MUA in the next few weeks.  I have gone back to work but thankfully on a part time timetable, I’m dreading going back full time as I don’t think I’ll cope. Thankfully we are all different, keep your spirits up & I hope things work out for you. 

• Posted

Hi Sharon, thank u for your message. Sounds like we are experiencing a similar journey. I'm only 42 and feel im headings for MUA too. I'm working full time as I have no choice which is also tough. Lets hope we progress soon. Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.