TKR. Want my old life back

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm 13 weeks post op after TKR. I'm so fed up and deflated. I seem to be stuck at 90 degrees. I just can't do the things I did prior to operation. Everything is still such an effort. I'm back to work full time and just feel exhausted. I don't feel like me anymore. I have less pain knee pain then I did prior the operation but lots of muscle and soft tissue pain which is intense. 

Im at gym 5 times per week to try to get strength back in gluteus and quads 

I know there's no magic answer. I just wanted to rant and ask if anyone else has felt like this. 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hy victoria 

im 12 qeeks post op full tkr. Firstly i dont know what u do for wprk but i think thats far tp early and to be at the gym every day i duno how u do it. I dont feel the same but my pain isnt the same pain i had before either.

yes we dont feel the same as before but we knew this before our ops.it is still early day and its not a quick fix, this ol is a slow recovery and u shouldnt [u]and, cant really rush recovery.

you and i will get back to ourselves  im aure but it will take time..

but no way in the gym everyday.. i hope u feel better soon xx[/u]

• Posted

Thank you for your message. I'm Ono U do what I've been advised to do. I'm also back working full time. Although i knew it would be a tough recovery, I didn't quite anticipate how tough. I'm only 42 and feel I'm so limited in what I can do. I wish you well with your recovery. All the best. 

• Posted

Hi. It's been nearly two years since my bilateral TKR's. I'm at 115 and it's taken a long time to get my hair and balance tolerable.

Slow down, rest, eat clean, do a little exercise each day. My physio says gym is not perfect. Pool walking, non-stressful, low impact exercise is what knees need. Can you get to a hydro pool? Your old life is gone. Make a new one. xx

• Posted

Hi Lyn, thank you fir your message. Sounds like you have had long journey. I'm glad you getting there. My PT has advised being in gym four to five times per week. I have tried water but I can't swim and have such a fear of being in pool. 

I understand and what you are saying but I am only 42 and want my old life back. A new one like this is just not a good thought at moment. Thank you fir your advice 

• Posted

I just want my old knee back. I’m 17 months out . I have great stiffness, swelling and PAIN. I waited 15 years for this and wish I had never had it done. My Physician doesn’t want to hear my complaints, just gives me a sad face and pushes me out the door. I refuse to take narcotics and only NSAID’s rarely. I will never ever get the other knee done. I’m worried about my future mobility.
    • Posted

oh Cynthia. I really feel for you and completely understand how you feel. I think people fed up of my moaning. If I hear one more comment from someone who granny/brother/dad sailed through TKR I won't be responsible for my actions!

I wish you all the best. 

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

i have found from my own experience that listening to my body has made all the difference in my recovery. I almost 6 mos post op. It’s been a long recovery and only recently stopped PT. Since stopping PT and working everyday but resting and listening to body my knee finally became less swollen which allowed me to bend more. I do a lot of walking now and work on heel slides and straightening. Have been to gym but not everyday. 

Relax and don’t push yourself so hard after this surgery. Major changes have happened and the body has to recover. Keep pushing hard I fear you will end up pushing recovery further away. It’s a delicate balance. Everyone’s is different. No one can tell you the exact recipe for it BUT your own body. Tune in and it will guide you to your recovery. I am now a firm believer in this. Take all you know to do with recovery exercises and then apply it wisely. Must let body and knee guide the process. It will speed your recovery and you will see the subtle but solid impact. So many reminded me it’s a marathon not a sprint. 

Best wishes for a smoother recovery. It will come in time. 😘

• Posted

It is soooo excellent that you are working on the quads and glutes...AND CORE!  Absolutely mandatory for a full recovery.  The 90-degrees is worrisome so I would recommend PT to break through that scar tissue.  Else, here are some things you can do at home...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

Pull waaaaay back on those heel slides!!!  Remember, this is NOT a linear recovery.  Advances, setbacks and plateaus are all part of the game.  Post this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Thank you fir wise words Chico. I should have mentioned core too. Do you think there will be scar tissue then. PT thinks that the tight IT band and soft tissue damage is holding me back wity flexion. I do bike every time I'm at gym. Sometimes I struggle to do rotation but I put seat higher than usual or start by going backwards. I wasn't as worried about the bend as I left hospital with about 10 degrees! Will keep trying.

• Posted

No one can say about the scar tissue...everyone's DNA is different.  Who knows why some people create so much and others so little?  All we know is that whatever is there must be broken down.  On a bike, once you can at least get full forward and backward rotation, yes...raise the seat gradually until you can get a full leg extension.  It just takes time and work.

• Posted

Have a good rant...it's a good thing to get it out!

Things do continue to improve...in their own time though!

Don't make a judgement of this experience til the one year mark.

It might be that the combination of working full time plus the gym is a bit too much? Swelling can restrict bend, is your knee still quite swollen?

With a bend of 90 you can hopefully do most things you need to...how straight is your leg? And how is your walking?

If the lack of bend is getting you down, it seems that many many people continue to experience improvements for well up to a year.

I realise surgeons and hospitals are all different and have different protocols but in the end it would be your choice whether to have a MUA.

I think it that If someone's flexion is under 80 and the extension more than 15 this would be a real hindrance in daily life, but with 90, while I appreciate not optimal, it is functional. I would have thought, as it is early weeks still, you have plenty of time and room for improvement and I am hoping you don't get too discouraged, or made fearful, about things, because though bit doesn't feel like it, it really is still early.

Feeling very tired, indeed, over tired is going to vastly affect your mood. You must be whacked with full time work and gym visits!

I think it might be worth you considering going a bit easier o yourself...and if you have got a lot of swelling once this goes down you gain a lot of bend with no effort at all!

Well, sorry to hear things are hard for you, and I hope you do feel a lot better soon.

Listen to your body, and look after yourself,

• Posted

Hi Jenny, thank you. Extension is 0. For some reason I’ve been able to straighten and lift leg from almost day one. 

Walking is much better. However, I can’t do it for long. I know you are right with your wise words. I’m functional but I want more. I agree that the tiredness is not helping mood. I’m just so tired that I’m finding everything difficult. Although it’s ONLY 13 weeks. It feels like it’s been so long. 

You are also right re work and gym but I have no choice with work and PT has said I have to work on quads and glutes. 

It’s still very very swollen but it is if I rest or go to gym. 

I wish I could listen to body as it’s saying stay at home and rest all day but I know that won’t help. 

Tomorrow another day. Thanks again 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.