TKR was 12 days ago, just need support and cheering up

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello everyone

i was expecting it to be very painful afterwards and it certainly is, what i didnt expect was the pain in other parts of my leg, i think its sciatica pain, and also the back of my knee feels like theres a big lump which makes lying down very uncomfortable. (there isnt a lump just feels like it)

yesterday the district nurse came to take my staples out, i told her i was worried as it was only 11 days, but she said it would be fine, it wasnt, apart from the excruciating pain which ended up making me feel sick and light headed, the wound opened up...she has put sticky tape over it and will come back tomorrow for another go. im dreading it, my knee feels worse than before and theres not as much movement, but im also frightened to bend it incase i open the wound more...oh the joys of TkR ..

i had to come off my HRT before the op which has caused my hot flushes , night sweats, to come back, my emotions are all over the place, im crying like a baby, its just ridiculous how sorry i am feeling for myself.

i came out of hospital feeling great, i got out on day 4, came home and could even mange the stairs no problem, ive been out on a very short walk, and really felt i was making great progress, everyone commented on how well i looked, now i feel like ive taken a step backwards...i saw a chart someone on here had posted and its so true its peaks and troughs..

can i ask how you all managed to get to sleep...im so sleep deprived, id giveanything for a good nights sleep.

i do know in time it will get better, im 60 and my 86 year old mother has had both her knees replaced and she was an inspiration to me as she coped so well, her second one was just last year,

is there anything i can do tomorrow to make the staples coming out any less painful?

thank you for taking the time to read this, i was looking for a support group and hopefully i have found one xx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

the nurse has been out, and has now had to stick the strips all up my wound as its popping open randomly, and she will come back out again next week to check on it..im trying hard to not bend my knee which is quite difficult but if it helps to heal it then thats what i will do..

but at least it didnt hurt as much this time .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.