TNR gone wrong 15 months 20 degrees crippled

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all November 3 2016 I had a TNR at HSS in New York  and unfortunately it did not take, A manipulation done December 16 2016 which it didn't bend to what he wanted it.  The doctor kept blaming everything but him or the knee. It has been a grueling time for me and my family. all i wanted to do is better myself for my daughter and ride bikes with her.  Now I have contacted a highly recommended doctor for reconstruction but was turned down with no explanation. they can not find anything wrong but the films MRIs CT scans say not clear but mostly no loosening. I have complained from the beginning  something was wrong. I ended up being in the hospital for 8 days and begged to go home i couldn't even get up one stair. pain is unbearable  especially if i stumble and it get caught the pain is horrible. There is much more to the story with this doctor i can write a book but bottom line is i am trying to find a reconstruction Dr. But no hope so far recommendations gladly accepted and maybe if someone was in the same condition as i am. Greatly appreciated. Thank you

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,  Lorie,  sorry to hear of your situation,  come June 24, 2018, it will be 4 years I have been complaining  if the pain but able to bend,  2 manipulation,  revision on patella and still nothing.  But praying that all go well for me in 2 weeks I will learn why I been dealing with the issue of not being able to bend
    • Posted

Hi sorry to hear this! what type of tests are they going to do on you in the next 2 weeks?

• Posted

Did anything good happen??
  • Posted

Sorry about that these ads keep popping  up,  like I was saying thing may just start to look up for me,  I finally found a doctor who shook my hand look me in the eyes and say,  we will get to the bottom  of this,  so far I. Have had an emg a me yesterday  and a nerve test all thanks to my new orthopedic doctor.  So far we have found out that I have something  going on with the L4 and L5 and S1 nerve and that's what's causing the pain and knee not to bend,  I did not no that if the l4 and l5 nerves control the knee to bend so you might what to get an oy

Orthopedic Dr to get you into a nerve doctor,  spine doctor asap,  I will keep you posted as I look for3 to getting my life back.  Take care and plz keep me posted as well good luck

• Posted

Hi I had the nerve test done PAINFULL! But they never found any nerve damage!  I had lots of tests MRI CT scans nothing But... because of the medal its shaky pics?!  I hope i find a good dr. Good luck to you also!  They even tried to blame my back PS what is an EMG?
    • Posted

How are things going??
  • Posted

Hi Lottie I had my TKR 2ND MARCH 2017 SO IT'S 12 MONTHS NOW I'M IN SO MUCH PAIN CONSTANTLY DOCTORS HAVE SAID I'M ONE OF THE UNLUCKY 20% THAT IT HASN'T WORKED FOR. I'M HOPEFULLY GOING FOR AN INJECTION IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS STRAIGHT INTO THE NERVE THIS IS PROBABLY THE LAST THING THEY WILL ATTEMPT I'VE TRIED ACCIPUNCTURE NO GOOD. I'M PRACTICALLY CRAWLING UPSTAIRS ITS SO PAINFULL I KNOW WHAT UOUR HOING THROUGH. I TO WAS IN HOSPITAL 8 DAYS IT'S NEVER BEEN RIGHT.

• Posted

OH CRUD yes I was in the hospital also for that long and also I have never been right, Injections never worked Sorry you are in pain also.  I am in long Island where are you located, I was better off with out the TNR i am more crippled not and can only go one step at a time let me know what other test they are doing for you feel better..to bad we couldn't be the 20 lottery winners lol

• Posted

anything good happen with your knee??
  • Posted

Unfortunately many Dr s/hospitals won't take on someone else's blunder. My suggestion is to find a teaching hospital(medical school) that has both resources and desire to learn. Ask for a sports medicine ortho. I doubt if you will get any satisfaction from staying with the same facility. The medical brotherhood speaks. The Hippocratic oath has changed over the ages. Instead of do no harm to my fellow man it do no harm to my fellow practitioner. 1st guess would be the wrong size prosthesis. However, Xrays and a keen eye should show that

• Posted

Hi thank you for the chuckle with your name smile  Yes he said he may of put a larger one in and made it a little tighter to straighten the bone. Bit it was never right. The doctor who turned me down is a reconstruction dr. Buy very unprofessional not to give a reason why.  the reconstruction will almost take double the time.  I will NOT let the original dr. do it or touch me as he never believed me and blamed everything else but him self. always said your not working hard enough bend to the ground you failed very harsh. I will keep looking thank you!
    • Posted

Frustrating, indeed. My surgeon is a young guy who just left a teaching position at the local teaching hospital. One of those down to earth guys that specializes in cleaning up messes. I was lucky to get him. I have a rare tumor that ate up my knee and have had 11 surgeries and 30 rounds I'd radiation. I've also had a broken femur and two very serious staph infections. With both just suck it up and he heads back in to do what he can. I'm running out of options but then again at 81, I'm running out of time. Hope you can find a guy that can help. I'd be tempted to tell them to stick that 20% where the sun don't shine. The medical school is still the best bet in my books.

• Posted

Oh MYY you have been through so much!  I am very sorry to hear this!!!  You have been through so much and are such a trooper God Bless you!  I hope it all works out! Yes the 20% is horrible pain full but i don't even want to complain after hearing your story. I am going to call the administrators of the orthopedic hospitals and see what they have to say. I have not reported my doctor yet as I will and do not want to go Back to HSS hospital but i believe if I do call they would find me someone but my stay there was NOT pleasant at all and 8 days of hell.  Good luck to you

• Posted

I am only 6 weeks out from my TNR.  I had my Knee replacement done in Nashville, Tn which is a couple hour drive for us.  The doctor that did my TNR is also a bio-mechanical engineer who  specializes in fixing "bad knee replacements".  You might want to contact the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky which teaches revision surgery to treat failed, painful, and infected hip and knee replacements and see if you can find a doctor who has gone through that program that is near you.  

BIOGRAPHY

Lucas J. Burton, M.D. is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee reconstruction. Dr. Burton is board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons. He is a member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.

Dr. Burton received his undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering from Vanderbilt University School of Engineering graduating Summa cum laude. During his time at Vanderbilt, he received multiple awards and national recognition for his work designing novel surgical devices. He was also awarded a prestigious National Institutes of Health research fellowship that allowed him to pursue his interest in orthopedic research. Dr. Burton earned his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. As a medical student, he was honored with the Cleveland Clinic Innovator Award and the AOA medical honor society award for his work in cartilage research and surgical device innovation.

Dr. Burton completed his orthopedic residency training at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska. As a resident, he utilized his engineering background to research the biomechanics of different knee replacement designs in order to better understand how they can be optimized to improve patient function.

Dr. Burton completed his subspecialty fellowship training in hip and knee reconstruction at the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky. There he gained extensive experience in minimally invasive approaches and revision surgery to treat failed, painful, and infected hip and knee replacements.

• Posted

wow very good tip i will try and contact them and contact the hospitals around me for the same info, Its just so sad and frustrating that I can be left crippled like this with no answers  no test has shown except for a torn ligament and he said he did that on purpose, there is so much cartilage build up very scary. I hope you heal quickly!!! Thank you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.