TNR ? I HAVE FOUND AN INJECTION THAT IS WORKING

Posted , 8 users are following.

I posted a question on this site some weeks ago but did not receive any replies, I was trying to find out the best method for TNR and  was finally booked in for 1st week Sept. Perhaps my surgeon gave me too much information which made me start looking around to see if there was any alternative to this operation as it when its done - its done and there is now turning back.

After much research I came across a Knee injection called Synvisc, which is a fluid made up of polymers produced from chicken combs of all thing ! this simulates the cartilage so I thought before having the op I would give it a go. Bupa authorized the treatment, which consisted of 3 injections over a 3-week period. The last injection was 2 weeks ago and all I can say is that I no longer have any knee pain and can walk a fair distance. I have been told by the doctor who administered the injection not to expect any miracle cure and that the treatment may only last for 6 months, but after saying that he did say that there is no limit to how many of these injections you can have - unlike a steroid injections as they can be harmful. I still have the stiff knee problem if I have been sitting around too long but my friends who have had the TKR have this problem also. So before you take the plunge I thoroughly recommend this knee injection. There are several on the market but the Synvisc was the innovator and it is working for me. I hope this little ray of hope helps anyone contemplating a TNR - 

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was heartened to read your response about Syvisc-One.  I saw a Consultant last week who stated that there was lack of reliable evidence of improvement in symptoms and complications which include severe allergic reactions resulting in chronic swelling and pain.  Of course, he doesn't give the injections.  I spoke to another Consultant Ortho Surgeon who was steering me towards steroid inections, which I am not keen on.  Was it paiful and did you have any complications?  I am not an advanced patient but I do have pain in my right knee and it is OA and walk through pain every day but want to do the right thing and I do know that steroids can compromise joints and there is a limit to how many you can have.  If anyone else is reading this and has had the injection, would love some more feedback?

Moses  

• Posted

From most reports they give a few months relief if they work. In my case they refused to even try either the steroids or synvisc. My sister in law had a torn meniscus and was given steroids to keep the pain in check so they could take a trip to Europe that had already been paid. She had to rest and ice a lot and cut back on some of the walking tours but it seemed to work. She had the necessary surgery as soon as they returned to California.
    • Posted

Hi Moses just picked up your email - recently had 2nd course of synvisc 3 which is a series of 3 injections as Blackberry clinic recommend this over the one injection that did not produce such good results. I know that in the UK all private insurance companies will only pay for one course of treatment. I have had no side effects whatsoever. The injections are not painfull, my doctor administers them without a local which is not really necessary as its just a tiny scratch pain. I also take tramadol pain killers when I have overdone things. Just one word of advice, if you go down this route you should start to enjoy the benefits after the 3rd injection just dont start doing heavy lifting and stuff as you will feel like you can but take things easy for first 2-3 weeks. These injections do  work and I have now put off TKR for the foreseeable future. Hop this helps regards Jude   
    • Posted

Thanks Jude, are you replying from U.S.?  The feedback I have received so far has not been good for Synvisc-One.  My consultant doesn't recommed their success rate so you are, to date, the only one that has been positive about them.  I guess having three injections is financially more rewarding to the consultant - don't you agree?  The jury is out on my views but it would be great to have some more positive feedback from others.  Thank you for your time.

Moses 

• Posted

I am so pleased it worked for you. I also had the Synvisc but it made no difference whatsoever. I was gutted and am now down for surgery. 
  • Posted

Those injections kept me going for several years before I finally had to have a TKR. I live in the US and was told the insurance companies really like it because it is a lot cheaper for them than the surgery.  Hopefully the NHS will see that too! 
  • Posted

Hi Im 41 female with OA in bothe knees. The left knee is worse and having my first synvisc one injection tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to it, but will just have to see if it works for me fingers crossed. Will post results on here.
    • Posted

2 hours after having my first synvisc one injection. Injection was uncomfortable rather than painful. I didn't have and numbing first as 1 needle for me was enough! You can feel the pressure of the gel going into your knee. It feels a bit like a line of hardened toothpaste when it goes in. Once injected I could feel the line still in my knee but then about 10 mins later It had made its way into all the bits on my knee. Like I said 2 hours now after no current swelling or discomfort. Walking to the car afterwards I was being very careful and took it slowly. Will keep you posted on if it has worked for me or not. Hope this is helpful.
    • Posted

From all reports I've heard its either all or nothing. If it helps its terrific if not its a waste of time and money. Because of the cost of the material itself, Dr's seem to be very sure of the best candidates. Based on that, you should get some good relief. Are you doing the series of 3? Here's hoping for The best for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.