To all Granuloma Annulare sufferers - what else is going on?

Posted , 91 users are following.

I have GA for 8 years - we all know that this skin disease itself is not painful however I want to know if other things are going on within your body? 

I, personally, have issues with toe and leg cramps and nerve pain. Is this related or something else all together?

If you could please share your personal experience, I believe we need all info to assist each other.

Thanks,

Carole

6 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am passed menopause. I am 63 almost 64. It first cropped up about a year ago.

Now it is behind my ears, on the back of my neck and on each side of my forehead.

I had a full blood work up done to see if anything else was wrong with me and I am fine. The only thing is I have low thyroid and I am on Synthroid, low dose. I have read that it happens in people with Thyroid problems and Diabetes.

• Posted

I appreciate the info Holly - it is a nasty disease for sure and doctors do not seem to know how to fix it.

I will keep you posted if I come across some miracle cure - I have tried so many throughout the years, it is frustrating but I won't give up, there is a reason and I will find out.

Take care,

Carole

• Posted

Dear Holly, I have it on the back of my neck and around my ears as well.

I have a thyroid problem, they are keeping a check on my thyroid. They haven't given me any medication for it..

I have had the blue light therapy and creams to no avail.

I still think it is a combination of menapause, stress and now thyroid.

I do hope they find something to stop the itching and the rash, which keeps me awake at nights, and, as I have severe sleep apnoea. and tablets to stop my hormones due to having breast cancer, I am really fed up and tired of my GA.

• Edited

Hi Carole

I have had GA most of my life and im now 55. I suffered leg cramps and hot flushes

due to menopause and was treated with HRT. However, this made my GA much worse and I now have over 30 areas of GA mostly on legs and torso. I am now off the HRT and started a gluten free diet and have also incorporated juicing fresh fruit and veg daily.

i have also been taking multivitamins and d3 which has got rid off the leg cramps and hot flushes. The GA has stopped spreading although I know I will have to eat "clean" including no sugary foods for at least 6 months. It's a work in progress, as I have never found any drugs from my dermatologist that work.

cheers 

Claire

• Posted

Hi Claire,

So leg cramps - hot flashes are part of this GA

The majority of women I connected with seem to have a healthy diet - are physically active and otherwise in good health. Like you, I have over 30 spots over my body from feet, legs, arms. Some days the spots are faded, prior to doing cardio and then become purplish red like enflamed - I drink a lot of water too.

It has to have to do with hormones - lack of or too much of - maybe the thyriod gland - mind is overactive (from my hair analysis). It is something that has accummulated in our system for years so very likely it will take a long time to get rid of - is 6 months the magic time to see any results? 

Have you had any amalgam fillings removed? taking the pill when younger? I was also told my liver was stressed.

I am thinking that all problems are linked to the digestive system - I just ordered a colon cleanser which is to fix the leaky gut. I will update everyone once I have the chance to try it. Results to come in early February.

Cheers,

Carole

• Posted

Hi Carole 

i think the leg cramps and hot flashes are the menopause but my GA got much worse when I was put on HRT.

It's very interesting that your liver is stressed as my blood test that I had done last November also came back with a high reading and I don't even drink! Lol. That is why I changed my diet to no wheat and using fresh fruit and raw veg. I also can connect with your saying about the overload of hormones. Which I think is what happened to me. I also believe I have a leaky gut due to the wheat so I have changed that and yes it does take at least six months to get the body clean from the toxic build up inside. I also have candida overgrowth and I think this also may be toxic to the liver. I am having a follow up test on my liver in February. So that will be interesting and I would like to know how your colon cleanse goes? I thought about doing it too smile 

I also had amalgam fillings removed but I did have to have one put back in as the other type of filling would not stay in. But I'm hoping to have this tooth crowned soon. Yeah I also took the pill when younger but bare in mind I was only about 3 when I first got GA although it has only ever been in two or three patches until a year ago. Some of mine on my body are huge areas of dissamated type and are sometimes itchy so I can no longer wear a bra unless over a cotton sleeveless t shirt. I definitely won't be able to wear shorts this summer either sad 

Have you tried anything else?

I am going to go on the green tea now lol I will try anything haha

Claire

• Posted

Hi Claire,

It sounds very similar to my story - when I did a hair analysis, it showed toxic level of mercury (probably due to the tooth fillings) this was prior to the removal. Perhaps all our problems come from this mercury attaching itself to our cells - I have tried a regimen of chlorella, spiritulla, mud pack, etc. It has improved in some areas but other spots started. I also got rid of candida.

At the moment and from the recommendation from my hair analysis results, I am taking B5, potassium and Vitamin C. I am seeing some spot fading but it might not be related as I just started Jan. 5th.

I'll keep you posted,

Carole

• Posted

Hi Carole, I would be interested to know how or where you did the hair analysis?

I have also tried kelp and spirulina and apple cider vinegar but although these may work for others it didn't for me. Although my leg cramps all disappeared with d3.

I am now eating as much alkaline foods as I can to get the PH balance right in my digestive tract. I saw that you wrote that we need to fix our digestive system, and I think you are spot on! GA is an auto immune disease so we need to build the immune system and to do that perhaps we need to heal our digestive tract so that we can absorb nutrients properly?

I also used to get a lot of headaches around the time when my GA got worse and I suffered with constipation too. But all this cleared when I went gluten free. I am not saying in any way that these ideas are going to be a cure for GA because as we all know, the doctors say we are stuck with it. But I would love to find a way to keep it to a minimum and would value and appreciate any help I can get smile Claire

• Posted

Claire - I believe the doctors call chronic disease anything they can't fix - it doesn't mean it cannot be fixed smile

Here is the link for hair analysis I used and the link for candida removal:

Good luck,

Carole

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the links as they were to sites unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information or want to exchange other details such as email addresses please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

My thyroid is low and I take synthroid. I also have an allergy to all nuts and seeds and nut oils and seed oils. My liver does not digest the nut meats and oils, maybe i was born this way. So my liver is stressed as well. I seem fine with peanuts, a legume, and coconut oil. On this chinese medicine it seems to help with the nut allergy as well. I had a bad reactions to canola oil a week ago and then the GA came back with it. So now they seem to be intertwind.
    • Posted

Hi Claire and Carole, I love reading your posts! I am so glad to see this blog buzzing the way it is.

I had all of my amalgam fillings removed around the time of my onselt of GGA,  I also eat about a can of tuna a week.... Mercury?

Julie  rolleyes

• Posted

Hello Julie, 

I can't say for sure but I believe mercury had a lot to do with the start of my GA - I had a hair analysis done and my mercury level were very high - in the toxicity level which in itself created a domino effect on my potassium and sodium levels, etc.

Are you still eating tuna can?

Good luck with everything Julie and keep in touch,

Cheers,

Carole 

• Posted

Hi, yes I love tuna! I only allow myself to eat it once a week. I am due for blood work again soon I will see if my doctor can throw in a metals test to see where that is.

I also have a doctor appointment with a 4th doctor, this one is an internist with "an emphasis on dermatology." I intend to pick his brain as much as possible before he throws me out lol!

Bone marrow toxins released in menopause, gotta look that one up too : ))

Thanks for your responses!

• Posted

Good luck with all and please do keep me posted - it is great to get more perspectives to this GA from different experts smile
    • Posted

Hi Julie

yeah it's great we are all getting together to swap ideas smile 

I am interested to know more about the bone marrow toxins released in menopause? My GA was made worse by a change in my menopause and got much worse on HRT which altered my hormone levels.

Yeah I think maybe Mercury could also be a trigger, but for me I think strong sunlight every summer always makes mine worse too! I wonder if anyone else has noticed different things that makes the GA spread....? 

Claire smile

• Posted

Desparate...started taking B complex vitamins (esp. B12) for nerves..thinking that would help with the stress
    • Posted

HI claire

ive had GA since my mid 20s and now in my late 30s just started spreading from my hands to my inner thighs. Do you feel like a clean diet helps control your GA? I am going to a new doctor today to see what she says.

thank you

• Posted

i really think that GA is sugar related. mine was really bad a few years back, all over my torso, legs and arms. whenever i go on an alkaline or keto diet they disappear. if i go back to eating sugar they come back. so i have my answer, keep your body in ketosis and you will be GA free, try it. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.