To all Granuloma Annulare sufferers - what else is going on?

Posted , 91 users are following.

I have GA for 8 years - we all know that this skin disease itself is not painful however I want to know if other things are going on within your body? 

I, personally, have issues with toe and leg cramps and nerve pain. Is this related or something else all together?

If you could please share your personal experience, I believe we need all info to assist each other.

Thanks,

Carole

6 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hiya  i dont suffer from any symptons, it does'nt itch, it hasn't spread its a bit lumpy & it does look unsightly on my arm, some days it looks a bit more agressive than others i  tried some cream that my doctor prescibed me years ago but it didn't make any difference, i just think that it is going to be with me for life now.

• Posted

Sounds like my version id the same as yours.  i dont suffer from any symptons, it does'nt itch, it hasn't spread its a bit lumpy & it does look unsightly on my arm, some days it looks a bit more agressive than others. When is gets a little more aggressive it may crop up somewhere else and then fades away. It seems to me that the chinese meds worked for awhile and then somehow the GA and the Chinese medicine became firends and now the chinese medicine has sided with the GA and now it gets worse if I take the Chineese meds. They now seem to be both working against me. It morphed into aiding the auto immune problem. DSo I am going to look into the light treatment now...
  • Posted

I get cramps as well but they are in my toes, I also seem to have issues with what I think may be the beginning of restless leg syndrom. I cannot get my toes and legs warm ever! I just had the A1c done to rule out Diabetes since this seems to be linked to it and mine was perfect. I do have severe IBS though and I swear it has something to do with this. 

• Posted

I had to double the dose of the Chinese herb pills and now the bumps are going away. For how long I don't know, but I guess I have to stay on this medicne to keep them at bay. The pills also seem to help my energy level.It seems to correct whatever problem is making the bumps happen and then I feel better too. I am thinking that caffienne is not good for this disease, so I need to stay away from that too. I don not have IBS. I am trying to eat lots of fruits and vegetables and eat other grains besides wheat.
    • Posted

Interesting on the cramps - I never thought it was linked but now am convinced it is. 

I believe we will be suffering until we can fix our digestive system - obviously our body doesn't get the nutrients needed so it has got to be with the digestion - IBS is definitely part of this.

If I find anything useful, I'll make sure to get back to all

Cheers,

Carole

• Posted

IBS is often related to food allergies (which some here have found is a factor in their GA.)  My GA seemed to be related to dental work (Mercury).  I had cramps in my toes, ankles and/or calves which have been relieved by getting enough magnesium.  Magnesium and avoidance of all gluten have cleared up my optical migranes, but not affected the GA.  I think these are separate issues.
    • Posted

What kind of Chinese herbs are you taking specifically so that I can try that as well
  • Posted

Until you mentioned leg and toe cramps, Carol, I had never associated both with GA.  I do have the same problems, and I do have GA.  I wondered if the cramps were a result of magnesium deficiency, but you have raised an interesting possible association.  I am going to do some experimenting, like eliminating all supplements I take and seeing if there is any effect on those horrendous toe/leg cramps and/or GA, then adding back gradually to test effects, if any.  If I learn anything of value I will certainly share the information.  Meanwhile, thank you for raising an interesting possible connection I had never thought of before.
    • Posted

My cramps have pretty much cleared up by getting enough magnesium. My optical migraines have cleared up by totally avoiding gluten. Neither of these has helped the GA (probably caused by mercury from dental work.) 
  • Posted

My profile: Female/ 59 yo/ fair complexion (Scandanavian).  Overall lifestyle and diet is above-average healthy. 

Onset of GA: About one year ago (age 58)

Other health factors: Migraine (lifelong); moderate allergies (pet/ dust/ pollen); digestive/gastic sensitivities (lactose reactive); non-healing bone w/in past 3 years, now resolved.

Thanks Carole, I hope that others will chime in! Here's an interesting note - the very first time I did a google search for GA, I came across something that cited 3 possible causes: exposure to certain metals/ recent broken bone/ gluten 

• Posted

Interesting Lisa - I have the metals and possibly the gluten. No recent broken bone but have tons of problems with my feet from plantar faciitiis, long time ago broken ankle (14 years old) - I now wear orthotics but the bottom nerves in my feet hurt and have little lumps on them
    • Posted

Carole, I forgot to say this before, but (to make things even more interesting) my foot surgeon used metal to stabalize my foot "reconstruction". Now that I think about it, I'm going to circle back to her and ask about the make-up and quantity of the metal! (Onset of my GA was just about a year after that surgery.) 
  • Posted

I am fair with redish blonde hair and freckles. I did have epstein Barr Syndrome and candida in the 80s, but do not have that now. I definitely have some immune proplems. I have Molerets Reacurring Menigitas, but have not had a flare up in years. My liver and kidneys check out fine, but I still think it may be liver related. It is interesting to see others info to try and figure out this crazy disease. I also have increased leg cramps....
    • Posted

We all seem to have common pains - whatever caused this can be fixed or reversed and the cure will come from the inside. No sense wasting money on cream and outside solutions.  We need to keep on searching and compare notes. The common denominator has to do with the digestive system - liver, gallbladder, spleen, bowels, etc.
    • Posted

hi Carole 

thanks for the information you sent me. I'm definitely going to try and do a liver and candida cleanse soon. I think it's going to take a while to cleanse all the toxins from all my internal organs. The build up over the years can have quite a drastic effect. I have suffered with 'brain fog' for years and many migraines. I thought it was just stress but now I realise my diet was rubbish and since I have changed my diet to natural foods my health and my life have changed enormously! I really am beginning to think that maybe the GA is a sign that something internally is not quite right? So maybe at least the GA has forced me to eat better and who knows....it may even have saved my life! smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.