To all Granuloma Annulare sufferers - what else is going on?

Posted , 91 users are following.

I have GA for 8 years - we all know that this skin disease itself is not painful however I want to know if other things are going on within your body? 

I, personally, have issues with toe and leg cramps and nerve pain. Is this related or something else all together?

If you could please share your personal experience, I believe we need all info to assist each other.

Thanks,

Carole

6 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I don't have direct experience but I have seen my aunt to suffer from the same problem you have. However,  the condition got improved in last one year as she started taking vitamin E. Vitamin E would help in both your Granuloma Annulare and leg cramps as well. This works remarkably in various health condiitons. In my opinion, you may try taking 400 I.U liquid soft gels - 2 per day. However, please consult an immunologist before you start taking the medicine.

• Posted

My Dr not my Demotogist ..decided to try a Lupus drug because my GA was spreading and a bad breakout..I have been on this a month and am almost clear!! 'it's' not happy being controlled and tries to break out but can't get a foothold and dries up! 

He also told me to keep a heavy moisturizer on it to keep my skin from drying out because I use Teatree Oil several times a day on it..this has helped w the itching.

when the pock holes appear I use Silver gel..it's the only thing I have found the heal this.

for leg and foot cramps apply liquid soap on the feet or leg pain and I keep a bar of soap at the foot of my bed under the sheets..I read this years ago and it's amazing..all my friends and family secretly thought it was nuts but do this now, it works.

this GA is a nightmare but hope this helps

• Posted

My GA began approx a month after a bad fall, breaking out in the areas injured and then spreading..in hours and hours of research one theory mentions this cause and I have spoken to several people that have a similar experience but did not relate GA to the injury.

the theory is that the immune system becomes overwhelmed in the healing process...with this being an immune system borne issue my Dr is experimenting with Hydroxychloroquine (Lupus drug) twice a day...we are both thrilled w the sucess! I cry when I look at my cleared skin as its a terrible journey!

• Posted

Hi I'm 20 years old turning 21 in August i was diagnosed with GA when i was 14 but i have had it since I was 6.

My GA cleared up after 3 months of using tropical creams but unfortunately came back last year i went back on the treatment but this time no luck it is just getting worse.

At first i had GA on my stomach right above my left hip and later on my calf those spots were cured, but now it's on both my knees on my one thigh across my both my shins, left ankle and it was on my right inner arm but that cleard up.

I really don't know what to do I'm a healthy and fit 20 year old with this sickening sight on my legs which is the worse since where i live it can get up to 35°C in the summer so no shorts or shortish skirts for me.

If anyone has any advice for me please let me know. I had to live with GA 8 years of my 12 years of schooling while wearing uniform dress that came to just above my knee while i had GA on my calf that was half the size of my palm. Please help

• Posted

I suggest that you and anyone else with GA try changing your diet to a whole food diet that eliminates the most common allergens.  Most suggest doing this for at least 30 days and then slowly adding foods back, one at a time, to see if there is any negative effect.

If you search the Internet for things like autoimmune diet, or paleo or primal diet, you will find any number of sites that support this type of eating.

My GA which I had for about 4 years total is now gone.  I too had large red-purple blotches on my legs & feet plus hands & arms.  I have read messages from several people that got their GA under control by elimnating gluten, mainly wheat, dairy products, etc.  

In my own case, I did feel better doing the 30 day elimination but it did not help my GA so I found a place that does a hair test for intolerances and discovered that in addition to some night shades and egg whites, I was also intolerant of strawberries & pineapple.  Anyway, I got rid of everything on my intolerance list for a little over a year and though it was slow, all GA spots are gone with a very faint mark where the worst ones were.

Before this, I tried a number of the treatments recommended by the dermatologists but all 3 that I have seen with this gave the "party line" after getting a biopsy - "this is Granuloma Annulare and we don't know what causes it or how to make it go away but it usually does go away in about 2 years."  

As you can see by the posts on this site, almost everyone posting here has had it for more than 2 years.

If you have trouble finding web sites, let me know & I will send in a private message.  If I post them here, they will likely be deleted.

Good luck!

Patty

• Posted

Patty,

That is great that your GA is gone!

I have had it for 6 years, it did go into remission after the 1st 2 years, but came back and is getting worse. 

I eat a very healthy diet and exercise all the time. I will try eliminating glutten wheat and diary.

Where do you get your hair test done for intolerances?

Thank you for any info you may have.

Margo

• Posted

I too have leg and tie cramps. I started support hose and it helps I have had Ga for 3 years know with 2 spots . I'm gluten free .. It's gotten better It is discouraging mine is primarily hands and arms. Leg cramps are severe. Good luck.
  • Posted

Please try the soap in between your sheets and liquid soap for immediate cramp relief.. My dr even does it now..as crazy as it sounds
  • Posted

Hello, Funny you ask becuase I do get cramps in my right leg only and my toes.

I have had GA for at least 10 years.

Lisa

• Posted

I was diagnosed with GA by GP visually, no biopsy.  However, I have been wondering if this is truly what I have as it is usually red, inflamed and very itchy, oozing lymph (?) in places and then lesion appears.  I am hypothyroid, low-normal.
  • Posted

I am 60 and have had this complaint for many years now and it is only getting worse. At present my back has about 12 different areas of it and both sides of my torso virtually matching each other as well, about 5 patches. I am getting it on my hands and arms. I have used steroid cream for 2 years and now been told to stop. I had light treatment last year for approximately 3 months, a break and then some more. i slightly burnt on this session and it was stopped. The dermatologist i now see says there is nothing more they can do for me.

i do get leg cramps, i am on amitriptyline for nerve end pain as i have cervical spondylosis, i was put on the meds after an op to remove a disc.  I was also diagnosed with lichen schlerosus 2 years ago. Any helpful information very welcome. i despair with knowing what to do or try.

• Posted

Hi all,

I'm 33 years old, and I've had GA since I was 21 years old.  I was stung by a mosquito, and have had it ever since then.  I also have digestive issues, and am always tired and bloated.  I don't have any mercury fillings, and I don't suffer from leg or toe cramps. I always thought it was related to my thyroid, but my test results came back fine.  I  have a feeling it has something to do with Hashimoto's because my mother has it as well, and she also has these spots, but not nearly as bad as mine.

After reading this thread, and some of the others,  I'm considering cutting out wheat from my diet to see if it makes a difference.  Oh..I wanted to mention something notable.  I get the flare ups mostly on the right side of my body.  I have a huge one on my right arm, and one under my right armpit.  On the upper arm, it's just bumps that look like a rash.  I also have one on my right ankle.  I only have ONE spot on the left side under my left armpit.  I agree that this condition is very embarrassing.  It does look like ringworm.  Most people don't notice it right away since it's under my armpit and on the side of my arm, but once I do tell them, I always get a million questions.  I've tried Biooil, Prescription cortisone creams with steroids, Apple Cider Vinegar, essential oils, and nothing has worked.  I'm going to try eliminating wheat for 30 days to see if it makes a difference.  That will be really hard for me! 

• Posted

I think that's an excellent plan. Wheat & dairy are two of the top food allergens so if you have GA, it makes no sense not to try eliminating them. If you research some sites you can see other recommendations as well. I tried this & yes it was kind of hard & I did not have an intolerance of wheat or dairy, I eventually had a hair sample tested for intolerance & came up with several food items that I was intolerant of. I eliminated them for a bit over a year and it was a slow process but my GA is gone. Yea! I had it about 4 years, confirmed by biopsy more than once. Good luck.
    • Posted

What great news!  Who did your hair anaylis/ Dermatologist,allergist,what a great idea. i had ga since '04 for 10 years. Then all clear for a year or so. I know that stress is my big trigger and bam,it's back! I KNOW YOUR FOOD INTOLERANCES are not mine, but would you mind sharing which foods you gave up,that cleared up your ga.  How do you know it will not come back?  Is there a particular test? I only found out tonight that many people have this.  WHEN i WAS FINALLY DIAGNOSED,4 BIOPSIES,IN LAND OF THE STUPID, FL.,I read it was a childs disease, mostly around feet,ankles,and fingers.  NOT AT ALL ACCURATE. i need a double hip replacement, had unrelated devastating,stressful occurance,and broke out again,after being clear a yr,even after beoming crippled,detoxing,all difficult and stressful,but didn't break out through all of that stress. I lost my # 1 support, having no family left alive, after I woke up crippled last NOV.A NEIGHBORS FRIEND & i HIT IT OFF BEING DOG LOVERS(ALL ANIMALS) & SHE QUIT ME AFTER 8 MONTHS,JUST PREPARING FOR SURGERY. Within a week,i started to break out,as I was devastated. Then,thinking nothing of it in terms of having surgery, my surgeon halted the green light to schedule 1st of 2 hip replacements,due to an injury caused by others,stupidly, but unintentionally.I'm alone,crippled,in wheel chair going on 1 yr. NEED clearance from dermatologist to proceed, AS STRESS mounts,ga does not improve. i had emergency surgery in '08, full bloom ga,no problems. HEALED BEAUTIFULLY. BUT IF I HAVE TO PUT OFF SURGERY.........i CAN'T HANDLE STAYING CRIPPLED I MORE DAY, BECAUSE OF GA!

i GAVE YOU A LOT TO REPLY TO,as you're my 1st reply. Thank you, Patty,if you can take the time to reply. STAY CLEAR!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.