To all Granuloma Annulare sufferers - what else is going on?

Posted , 91 users are following.

I have GA for 8 years - we all know that this skin disease itself is not painful however I want to know if other things are going on within your body? 

I, personally, have issues with toe and leg cramps and nerve pain. Is this related or something else all together?

If you could please share your personal experience, I believe we need all info to assist each other.

Thanks,

Carole

6 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am almost 63.  I have had pins and needles in both feet (emphasis on left foot and ankle) for over ten years. My feet used to be extremely painful, especially when driving, sitting, feet dangling off a table or chair.  When I was walking, the pins and needles went away.  I have back pain up the center of the back and across my low back and sides.  I think this is due to a disc problem however.  The GA on my knuckles does not itch.  It has stayed on my hands and I just had a tiny breakout of another circle.  I don't know if anything is related.  I've probably had the GA for 4 years now.  I have only used cortisone cream on my hands.  Got better then came back.  Did it again but it didn't work as well.  I do have manuka honey.  I might try that but probably not without cotton gloves as it is quite sticky.
    • Posted

I forgot to say that I have been on an elimination diet (all 8 allergens since January.  over the past three weeks I have been reintroducing foods.  The latest was dairy and the last will be gluten.  So far, the elimination of foods has not seemed to matter.  However I think I will stay away from gluten.  Not  ure about the dairy yet.

• Posted

Carole..I've had this for almost 6 years.  I sometimes have toe cramps and leg cramps that are bad...but only during the night when I'm sleeping and not often.

I have pins and needles in my feet and sometumes side my leg...but not frequently.

Not sure what you mean by nerve pain. Can you explain that?

• Posted

Hi! I've been suffering with GA and doing a lot of research and must share this info. Google histamine intolerance. This is the answer! It even tells you that when you are pregnant ( like we all noticed) the symptoms disappear because your histamine levels automatically increase. Seriously. Get your histamine DAO levels checked with your PCP. This is it, I know it.
  • Posted

My GA started in the Fall and I've had it for a year. It's on my ankles and legs and taking over my legs from my knees down. I have been on a lot of antibiotics for sinus infections. All my bloodwork is normal except crp which is inflammation. I have been referred to a Rheumatologist and see them in June

I've pretty much given up on myself and have started to think it's something environmental. I've spent $$ trying to find mold but unless it's the walls it's not there. I went to an allergist and stopped eating foods that I'm allergic to and got worse. It's so frustrating and here it is almost summer and I dread wearing shorts. There has to be a cause and doctors say it will go away but it's NOT going away. Mine has gotten worse within the last month and I'm curious why. Has anyone noticed a difference if they are away from home? I have two little ones so it's hard to just stay somewhere else to see if it helps but I'm wondering if it's something we around every day...

• Posted

My GA started in the Fall and I've had it for a year. It's on my ankles and legs and taking over my legs from my knees down. I have been on a lot of antibiotics for sinus infections. All my bloodwork is normal except crp which is inflammation. I have been referred to a Rheumatologist and see them in June

I've pretty much given up on myself and have started to think it's something environmental. I've spent $$ trying to find mold but unless it's the walls it's not there. I went to an allergist and stopped eating foods that I'm allergic to and got worse. It's so frustrating and here it is almost summer and I dread wearing shorts. There has to be a cause and doctors say it will go away but it's NOT going away. Mine has gotten worse within the last month and I'm curious why. Has anyone noticed a difference if they are away from home? I have two little ones so it's hard to just stay somewhere else to see if it helps but I'm wondering if it's something we around every day...

• Posted

I also left out that I cannot drink wine or eat chocolate. I'm 34 and have never ever experienced this before but they both make me deathly ill. It's the weirdest thing and there's no explanation. I also have IBS and bloating and catch everything from colds to Mono. My immune system is basically non existent. Not sure if this has anything to do with it , but thought I would share.
  • Posted

Hi there, would be really interested to know how things are going for you now? Did your experiments come up with anything? Thanks, Tim
  • Posted

Hi

I was just wondering as you haven't posted for a while if your GA is now clear?

I was first diagnosed in 2010.....just one ring on front right shin. That cleared within the 2 yr. During that time I was also undergoing IVF which continued til 2014, had foot surgery in 2011 and shoulder surgery in 2013. In June 2014 I had a hysteroscooy in relation to the IVF treatment n started a 6 month course of drugs (cycloprigynova) for the IVF. I also contracted Molluscum Contagiosum wirral skin infection which developed a couple of wks after my surgery and up pooped the GA again. The mcv virus lasted 18 month all over the tops of my arms but since it has cleared the GA has remained!! This yr has been the worst as it has developed on my hands n gets worse in the sun. Am totally miserable as love a tan in Summer. Have had to take a career break from work n feel suicidal with it all. When it first appeared in 2010 I was in peri menopause at 42 now at 49 I am post menopause and am wondering if it is all hormone related? Feels like a life sentence at the mo and dermatologists are hopeless!

Thanks

Kendra

• Posted

Kendra,

I truly sympathize with you. I am at my wits end also. My dermatologist and rheumotologist are not helpful with this at all. All I have ever been told is that this is not curable. It is spreading all over my body, but yet no recommendations on how to help it go into remission or anything. At this point, I would take part in clinical trials if I knew of any.

• Posted

Angie

It's so confusing isn't it.......why/where does this come from. Definitely the worst thing for me is the sun trigger which seems to have become much worse this Summer. It's horrendous enough having the weird skin condition without feeling even more weird by the sun/sun bed causing it. I worry too that if that's what's triggering mine it will never go and this is me forever. Don't think I could cope with life like this every Summer. Off to the dermatologist tomorrow, complete waste of time regarding treatments as we all know there really isn't one but just want to pick his brains......not that he probably knows?! Desperate!! 

• Posted

Well I'm 30 and have had this for 8 years now and it's getting worse. My first one was only the size of a dime and now my legs and feet are pretty much covered. I also have it starting by my fingers. I believe this to be caused from a vaccine for the flu back in 2007. I feel it is related to nerves because I also have reynauds phenomenon which is a rare condition associated with nerves. My stress levels seem to trigger them to get darker. The sun seems to help. Also I have noticed it flares up after I get bit by a mosquito. I know the skin is a reflection of your health so I'm assuming it's something auto immune system related. It's very frustrating bc people think it's ringworm. It's really hurting my self confidence

• Posted

The flare ups have gotten worse last few days. I was actually thinking it was getting better but now it seems to be spreading and getting darker. Over the years it has lightened up. Tea tree oil is the only thing I put on it. It really stinks but I feel like it's the only thing that natural enough to use everyday. The creams are a joke and a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. Our skin is our largest organ and a reflection of your overall health, we will figure out what the real cause of this is.

• Posted

Well, I have had GA for since I was about 16 and I am now 45. It is getting worse and is spreading to my hands, wrists, feet, abdomen, elbows and now underarms. I have joint pain and severe back pain. I have seen a rheumotologist who continues to tell me that this is not relevant to my joint pain. I am so tired of this medical issue being blown off when I know that there is something much more going on. When I have a joint flare up, the masses of GA in some areas become inflamed and I am miserable. Heat does seem to make it worse. I am just so depressed over this and I do not know where to turn. Any suggestions?
    • Posted

Well for me the sun helps but not actual heat or temperature. Tanning beds are bad I know but for me it seems to help the look of them. My suggestion would be to try tea tree oil. It's stinky but you're safest option. It's seems as though the over the counter products have risks and side effects worse than the issue itself. I've noticed tea tree oil helps but it has to be used daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.