To Do List pre and post op? Good idea?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Not been on here for a few months as been abroad.

But my TKR is looming, possibly in December.

I cant find the thread where people suggested things we might need - ie ice packs, high chair etc post op and prepartions pre op (like filling freezer etc)

Would it be a good idea if we could start a list and people could add to it?

If not if someone could point me in the right direction!

Just a thought! Thanks!

biggrin

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes Occupational Therapist will come and assess you and lend you equipment all before the op.

They will also come to you once you are home and check everything is OK .

Sarah

• Posted

wow sarah it gets better and better ,we are so behind ,if i saw the therapist coming to my home id think i must of owed them money sarah ye are so so well looked after im soooooo jealous!!!!
  • Posted

The other thing that I ended up doing was borrowing a second walker so I had one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top.

Risers for the couch and the toilet are an absolute must.

I needed a cozy blanket to keep me warm when icing.

• Posted

that is a very good idea deborah i myself had two sets of crutches like you i had a pair at the top of the stairs .my hubby put in a second rail on the stairs its a life saver il never remove it .so no need for crutches on the stairs
  • Posted

The other thing I found useful was a flask of something hot to drink, I got cold when I was icing.  That way you (someone) can make it up at the beginning of the day and you have it there at your side.  

You will also needs lots of pillows and cushions in order to elevate 'properly'.  I borrowed one of those large V pillows from a friend, that plus 2 pillows behind me, and at least 6 pillows and cushions to get the elevation right.

A friend also bought me some 'nice to haves' while I was in hospital, as a result of her own experience a couple of years ago:

Small can of dry shampoo

Peppermint foot spray

Listerine mouthwash

Lip salve

Luxury wet wipes

Hand sanitizer

Good luck!

• Posted

foot pedels are great to get the bend going when your home .i bought mine from lidl under 20 euro ,or if you are lucky someone you know will lend you them as you will only use them till you manage the bike (stationery )
    • Posted

yes foot pedels they are like a mini bike  you put them on the floor and sit and pedel away watching tv ,they also help with circulation ,at first you might not get the full turn just go back and forth and all of a sudden it will turn the full way .at the begining going backwards might be easier ,they are also on amazon so have a look at them .   steppers would be too difficult at the begining
  • Posted

After 7 weeks I have full bend in my op knee and I'm pretty sure that's due to an exercise I kind of made up myself.  Using a Theraband (resistance band) hooking it over foot, pulling Theraband up over my shoulder (up the back and down the front) so that you end up with your knee completely bent and foot up near your butt.  Relax into it and then push your foot into the band.  At first it's difficult, but like everything it gets easier.  I absolutely swear by it, and have been doing it from week 3/4.
  • Posted

Hi Daisymay

I don't know what others have written, but I will

put my fourpenneth in for what it's worth.

Yes good idea to have a list. On top of my list was the strongest pain killers your GP will give you. I don't know if you are from UK or US. In the UK I would suggest Tramado taken with paracetamol. Yes you can safely take them together, you GP will explain why but in short each does simething different and together they work well, probably as strong as you can get. You will need pain killets cos for the first couple of weeks it will be painful, especially at night. Get a warm but light in weight duvet heavy will aggravate the discomfort. A pillow to put between your legs so if you roll over in sleep it will stop good knee hurting new knee. Do your exercises religiously you will be glad you did. Get an exercise bike, it will help you to get through the crucial 80-90 degree bend you must attain for your knee to work properly and if poss do some physio in a hydro pool, it's magic. I am 9 weeks post op now and my knee is great a little sore sometimes, but I can sleep through the night. Your knee will take 12-18 months to be fully fit, so no rush just steady exercise and you'll get there. Oh, I am 68 years old and am looking forward to my 2nd TKR in the new year and thenbe without pain at last.

Good luck.

• Posted

Blee83 thank you for your advise.

Yes I am in the UK. Had tramadol before and worked well but they changed it to codeine a few years ago for some reason.

Great idea about the duvet - thanks. That is on my shopping list!

I already have an exercise bike.

You sound as if you are doing great at 9 weeks - thanks again! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.